SlotForum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As just reported in the bargains thread I have today picked up a Tomy AFX Formula 1 Duel set at a charity shop for £3.50!
I've cleaned the track and the little cars are going very well after a few hesitant initial laps. Do these cars need the oiling, greasing, tyre truing and so on which I would normally carry out on a 1:32 car?
I'm pleasantly surprised by these little guys and after reading a bit more about them realise what a large part of the hobby they occupy. This could be a whole new departure for me!

Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You've read my mind Kev!
See you then,

Dave

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Nice find Dave

The cars with that set were F1 cars on the Tomy Turbo chassis:

The parts that get worn out / lost are the pick-ups and pick-up springs. HO Racing Ahead and Slot Cars Direct are two UK-based retailers who sell Tomy parts.

Maintenance is similar, with a few differences:

Oiling: tiny amounts every now and again. A pinpoint oiler is a real help. Front a back motor bearings and where the axles go through the chassis. Plus a drop on the pinion / crown gear mesh. You could use a minute spec of grease on the gearing instead. Too much oil and you risk it getting on the comm and that kills the performance.

Tyres: Truing the stock rubber tyres is always going to help. Grind them down a bit (front and back) gets the car down in the slot and the traction magnet nearer the rails. Most of us ditch the rubber and use silicones - Supertires are my favourite and are about £1.50 a pair. HO Racing Ahead sell them.

Pick-ups: are totally different to 1/32. Keep them clean with a pencil eraser or - even better - polish with a glass fibre pen. And keep them flat - they should be wearing along the full length, not just at the front or back. Some gentle bending using tweezers or small pliers usually does the trick.

Cleanliness: HO cars (being smaller?) seem more sensitive to getting dirty, picking up hair, crud etc. A pair of non-magnetic tweezers is a good buy - and a supply of cotton buds, pipe cleaners etc.

There's plenty more info here and out there - Greg Braun's HO Slot Car Racing site is a veritable encyclopedia.

Have fun

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Andy, it's not my first charity shop bargain and that's exactly what I was after, much appreciated.
I can see how easy it is to get hooked on these!

Dave

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Kev,

Could Dave's find be the impetus for your club to explore racing HO in some formal (perhaps modest initially) way? I know you have always been open to the scale and have followed EAHORC over the years.

Dave,

well done on a great find, and I am so pleased that the efforts of the likes of Woodcote in making HO more noticed pay off. EAHORC is 10yrs old next April and it has simply flown by.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Deane,

The scary thing is that I saw the set in the shop last week and didn't bother with it and for some reason today I went back and got it after all!
Strangely enough in another shop on the other side of the street there's an Artin 1:43 set with a couple of Porsches and a loop the loop track for £5.99 - should I?
Have to agree that a second club track is a good idea, space at NERCS is tight, but you can't get any smaller than HO!

Dave

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
I would pass on the Artin, if you want to see 1/43rd at it's best the Kyosho stuff is the one.

Meanwhile, with your HO stuff it is easy to add more track and more cars.

Have you seen the Mega-G stuff?

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, I really don't think I should be operating three scales at once just yet anyway!
I'll take a look at the Mega-G stuff tomorrow,

Cheers

Dave

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
They're not too complicated. It's just a smaller space to cram in motor, gearing and a pick-up device.

Very easy to get hooked. It's nearly 3 years since I got my first HO set and the balance of my collection has now tipped decisively from 1/32 to HO.

My first set was the same F1 Duel. I quickly added a few 15" straights off eBay and some more cars - from the two UK suppliers and from the States. All for less than a new Scaley car.

There's a great HO racing scene in the UK - most of us will be in the HO Zone at Gaydon on Sunday.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Welcome to the HO world, I race both 1:32 and HO and enjoy the differences between them.
I'd avoid the Artin set if I were you, the track is actually quite good (though has only 2 radius of bends), but the cars are rubbish, really poor, I wouldn't mind racing the Kyosho 1:43 though.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the gen on HO chaps, yes Mega-G looks good, it's amazing how detailed and realistic cars of this size can be.
Haven't bothered with the Artin and anyway I've got enough on with my 1:32 stuff and this discovery, so maybe the HO will develop slowly but surely. I reckon I could have a "secret" HO track slung under my 1:32 and whip it out whenever the fancy takes me!

Dave

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Hi Dave,

You should definitely go for the secret HO track! You can fit an excellent layout in 6 foot by 4 for a 2 lane and 7 or 8 by 4 for a 4 lane.

Plus I thoroughly recommend having a look at some of the older "pancake" motored cars such as the Thunderjet, Magnatraction, G-Plus, X-Traction etc. With varying amounts of magnetic downforce from none to not a lot and less top speed than the modern inline cars, they are a lot of fun to drive and you'll find yourself really working hard on getting a good lap time in and attacking all the way round. Also you'll have lots of tail-sliding which is always good!

Cheers

Gareth

·
Registered
730 Posts
QUOTE (SlotCarDad @ 16 May 2011, 21:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I really don't think I should be operating three scales at once just yet anyway!

This is great to see, having raced 1/32 and 1/24 at club level for years and scalex at home forever, I popped along to have a go at HO two and a half years ago I now own about 70 cars, nearly 100ft of track and get up at stupid o'clock once a month to go play, it's a great scale and scene. Welcome aboard! I heve also added 1/43 now, a fair bit of carrera track and some cars. Current season F1 cars at £11 each? yes please. Too much is never enough

QUOTE (Julian_Boolean @ 17 May 2011, 08:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I wouldn't mind racing the Kyosho 1:43 though.

Indeed, I fear these may be my next 'problem'

1 - 15 of 15 Posts