SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for my bad English.

Since my childhoodtime i have been a slotcar fan.
Due to a lack of time, I didn't race for like 10 years.
Now my kids are starting to grow up and I got the interest back.
My childhood dream was to have my own big track.
For my children and a little bit for me ;-), I wanna make this happen.

The track will come in my cellar.
It's dry but the air is humid, can this be a problem?

I start with two Carrera Evolution startpacks and will expand it with some sets.
This looks like the less expensive solution.

The design of my track is ready. (link)

http://s1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc432/...der_PROJECT.jpg

I made it with ultimate racer 3.0.
The length is 40 meters.

If I want to feed the track with enough power, what must I do.
Power it with the special Carrera wire 10 meter every how much time?
What transfo do I need?

The table will be built with a plywood piece on a wooden understructure.

I'm not gonna sink the circuit in MDF because I'm not that handy.
But I want to have the famous "Eau rouge" corner from Francorchamps in the track.
That are long corners that go up, is it possible to make some relief (like a bridge) with these pieces if the % of the height isn't to steep.

With scenery like carpet (grass a like) I will camouflage the table.
Also pitboxes, light, etc will feature ofcourse.

I would love to have some feedback from you guys experts.
Thanks in advance

tluitg

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Hi Tluitg

I couldn't quite see the numbers on the UR3 design...
...but I'm guessing the squares are in feet ?

Will you be able to EASILY reach in to re-slot crashed cars with this format ?
An important consideration.
It looks tricky to me.

Can you walk right around the sides of this...
...or are 1, 2, sides in a corner ?

Cheers

Si.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Si,

the squares are in metres.
But true, good tip for the re-slotting of the cars.
Think I must be satisfied with a bit smaller circuit.
2 sides are in a corner, but I will try to save some space around the table.

I like Le Mans style so that's why I wanted to fill almost the whole room. :)

Thanx for the Advice

tluitg

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Hi Tluitg

METRES !!! wow, super long arms needed !

For the children, easy reach is for shorter arms.

Have a good look on the forum at how other members make the benchwork for their tracks.
'L' shapes, 'U' shapes, 'D' donut shapes (sometimes with popup holes in the middle...
...& even 'E' shapes (multiple aisle designs)

You got a big space dude.
You can still fit in LOADS of track, even with narrower benchwork.
Even if an aisleway is only 500-600mm, it still lets you get at everything for racing & scenery.

People have got some great layouts on the forum.
Spend A LONG TIME looking at them, download lots of pics for ideas etc. Then with what you've seen, & what you like, you can do some more experiments for your own layout in UR3.

Cheers

Si.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Hi again

There's NO WAY !!! the squares on your map are in Metres.
I just looked at it again.
You can tell by the track width, visualy.
Check your grid settings in UR3.

Cheers

Si.

They look more like Feet to me, but you can set your grid to any size.

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
Si, the squares are probably 100mm - 10cm - 1 decimetre. I think it's the standard grid size for metric in UR3.

Hi Tluitg. Welcome to the forum.

I'll echo Si's suggestion that you have a bit of a wade through the member's tracks. There's some great ideas there to spring from. I'll also support his concern regarding reach for reslotting cars. My track is considerably smaller than what you have planned, and with the table at 1500mm wide reaching a deslotted car on the back straight is a bit of a stretch (particularly for the vertically challenged like myself). Of course, the fact that my table is at 710mm high to get over the top of some furniture does exacerbate the issue somewhat. If the table was set at a lower height the width wouldn't be quite such a problem.

With the large amount of space you have available you could always consider two tracks, or even a smaller 4 lane option so that more people can enjoy themselves at once.

Carrera track has stainless steel rails, so the humidity in your cellar is less of an issue than it would be with most track types, but I would still look at a regular maintenance routine with some Inox MX3 (best) or WD40 or similar as some extra protection. Might also be worth looking into some way to de-humidify the area if at all possible.

Lots of learning and lots of fun to be had in your future.

Embs

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
If the squares are 100mm wide, that makes the Carrera track about 4cm wide, at a visual guess.

Nar...

Check your grid settings Tluitg.

I've been doing UR3 in feet, 'cos I'm an old school imperial has-been !

If I glance at a Sq.Foot I know exactly where I'm at, maybe you would do the same with 1/3, 1/2, 1/1 Metre.

Cheers

Si.

·
WRP World Champ 2015/2016
4,279 Posts
Another thing to consider, is line of site for racers from the racer stations. I made a mistake here and need to marshal the racers and keep them behind a line on my floor, otherwise you can't see the first bend - a problem, as it is about a metre after start line and we are normally gunning hard for the line!

Whatever you do, don't fix your first track down too permanently. After a few races, I'm pretty sure you will decide to modify a bit here, tweak a corner there, until you are perfectly happy.

I like the way you have varied the radius of most corners, always makes it interesting - some are fast in slow out others vice-versa. I like the idea of building Eau Rouge into your track, sounds exciting.

Yes, you can vary the height of the track, just do it slowly and be sure that the track joints don't form a sharp angle change.

Humidity - do your best to minimise the humidity - tumble drier? Get a humidity trap for the outlet. They are quite effective.

You can treat rails to prevent problems with rusting, but I thought Carrera was pretty good quality stainless or stainless coated. Shouldnt be a problem in that case.

Have fun, and as Si and Embs say - read read read the posts of other members experiences.

EDIT** Forgot to mention, there is nothing wrong with your english, it really is very good.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Yes I just twigged it.
Carrera track is a bit wider than the Sport I use.
tluitg said 1 Metre squares, but yes 500mm has got to be it with the wider track.

DOUIINNG.......

Si.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Hi tluitg! Goeiedag Antwerpen!
1° - I can only confirm the opinions above. Seen the space you have, a table in the form of an "E" might solve the problem of the too-far-to-reach parts in case anyone deslots (And kids do have a tendancy towards that) and still allow a very long circuit.
As said, dont fix anything to permanently from the start.
For any of the slopes you desire, (eau rouge is indeed a nice part of racetrack) start with a provisional system (just put something (books, pieces of wood, etc.) under the tracks for a try out of your circuit and test the layout untill youre sure you really like it before you build the final landscape in a more permanent way.
2° - A nice long straight using the full six meters you have available would not be bad so you can really build up some speed.
3° Why the cross-overs ? You want your kids to damage the cars without delay ? Try them and I think you'll soon throw them out of the track.
4° You respected the 8-figure : If you stay analogue, keep that form intact (equal lane lenghts).
We'll be watching your progress.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Si, Ember, Snurfen and Koala2, all thanx for the replies.

I thought the squares represented 0,5 meter.
Will check it tonight though. :)

Will keep the height of the table low so I can reach my cars better.
Also no permanent track until checked.

For the humidity, at my work we sell products like WD40 so that won't be a problem ;-)

Will also check out some E-table designs to give me some extra inspiration.

The cross overs I used because I think a bit "in" instead of "out" the box.
With some more inspiration I should be able to do this with a relief structure which makes the track much more realistic.
Good tip.

A longer straight will try to fit it in.

Will redesign this evening.

Thank you guys for all the advice.
Will keep you updated.
Pictures will come later when the building process starts.
Cheers

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Hi again Tluitg

Found this on the forum.
I think you will like it very much !

Here's 'Eau Rouge'

It's by member 'spamodeller' here on the forum.
Great stuff !
Loads of pictures, here...

http://www.bearcreekweb.com/paul/Galleries.aspx?cid=15

I have an MRW version of Spa drawn, but not made yet alas.

Great source of inspiration for racing.

You gotta have a 'La Source' & the old 'Bus-Stop' in there (before they ruined it).

The longest track, with the shortest pit-straight !
Cool, Cool, Cool & more Cool !!!

Cheers

Si.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
omg Si, that's not trackdesign but art :)
Only the eau rouge pic I can't find.

The busstop use to be a cool piece to, nowadays they f***** it up.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Hi Guys

There is a link to a thread that describes a visit to this layout under 'spamodeller' in the members track index.

I think the picture of 'Eau Rouge' came from the Bear Creek link above, under tittle 'Night Photos'.

Why do they screw-up things like 'The Bus Stop'... criminal !

I didn't mind the new mid-nineties layout of Imola, but when they screwed up 'Varianti-Alta' (I think that's the name) on the back straight, It broke my heart.

That guy Herman Tilka, with his tracks, is the worst of all.
They spend billions on building his rubbish designs, and then a few years later, say, yeah they don't race well !!!
I can & DO make better tracks with my Sport parts.
Tikla should have got the boot years ago.
No doubt he'll be penning the new Spa SOON !
Heaven forbid !

Cheers

Si.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Hi Tluitg

Which are the sides next to walls in your first drawing ?
Is it the TOP and LEFT sides ?

How big is the space NOT shown in the plan (overall).

I am thinking I would like to have a go at drawing a version of Spa in Carrera to fit your space.
Maybe just a doodle, but I am addicted to UR3 at the moment, and keep drawing things.
Did an MRW version of Suzuka last night, not to bad I think.

Cheers

Si.

P.S. What is the 'cut-out' at the top-right ? Is it for stairs or a boiler or chimney or something ?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Si, that's a tile that's lower then the floor.

Si, sorry for the bad lay out.
The longer I try, the worser it gets.

The space shown is the space there is, no space not shown in that particular room.

Thanx for your feedback.
;-)

Cheers
tluitg

1 - 20 of 128 Posts