SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Aha!

A hint that it is more to 1/32 scale prehaps?
I hope so!

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Weird !

The rear tyres look too small to me ! Or then those of the Williams are too large ! BTW, aren't the rear IRL tyres not bigger than the F1 ones ? (it's a question, not an assertion)

Anyway, the good news are that the Lotus should be close to accurate 1:32 scale and so we may hope the same for the Gulf Mirage, the Alfa 33 TT 12 and the Pescarolo Courage ! Very good news indeed !

·
Jim Moyes
5,002 Posts
Those other two are Hornby are they? Williams and IRL car. I just compared an original Scalextric 72 with one of the first Hornby Jordans and there is more of a difference in size than is shown in the picture! If you see what I mean! So hopefully it will be a largish 1/32 rather than a huge 1/32

Baffling all and sundry, Mr.M

·
Registered
37 Posts
whats the deal on the rear wing on the 72 ?

i dont remember that car having 3 sections to the aerofoil - very strange

nice to see it looks more 1/32 than we all thought !

TB

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Regarding the rear wing, you must remember that the Lotus 72 has one of the longest career in F1 (if not the longest or is it the McLaren M23 ?) and the shape of the car, of its front nose or rear wing changed a lot over the years.

More specifically, the rear wing was sometimes a one-piece affair and at other times it had several parts like shown on the picture. I guess it also depended on the kind of track they raced on. Another variation is the distance from the rear wheels. Sometimes the rear wing would be close and at others much further.

So I wouldn't say it's wrong. I assume Vanquish based themselves on actual pictures.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Gob-smacked.

From initially viewing the images which appeared the other day, really thought the car was going to be a monster!

I have been really looking forward to this release. The trouble is started thinking, if the Lotus was so out of scale (1/28?) how big would the 6-wheeler be?

The pic has certainly cleared up a lot of gremlins, it certainly looks a lot nearer to 1/32 than first appeared - i'm happy.

Thanks for sharing (a good site too).

Jamie.

·
Premium Member
5,398 Posts
Ditto Jamie.

This looks a lot more promising than all the earlier snaps. Could put the VMG back on the radar for me.

Driver still looks like the Can-Am jockey to me though.

Proof will be in the pudding.

Interesting that the BRM pilot has a different head.

Well, interesting to me anyways. Hey, ease up, I don't get out much, okay?

·
Registered
759 Posts
Hi all!

Next to the pic in the original context, it says that the wheelbase is 89mm. If that is so, then does anyone know the 1:1 wheelbase? I did a quick search and only found it in italian (Passo could that be wheelbase?) have a look here: http://www.formula1news.it/storia/storia70803.htm
there it says 2,54m, devided by 32 that is 79mm. so hmm... That would bring the 89mm wheelbase to a scale of 1:28,5
Then it looks as if they goofed again... Truely sad, with all those beautiful cars with great detail.

It looks about right though in that pic, so let's hope it's my italian that's bad

Cheers Toby

·
Registered
759 Posts
oops, sorry! I just checked againand it said the wheelbase was 87mm, so that brings us a scale of, drrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr da dum! 1:29,2 A little better.

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Hi Toby,

I will send you a copy of the Model Cars Lotus 72 plan with pleasure, but it's the 1970 car. I'm not too clear on which model VMG are producing, perhaps Dennis David can help us out. The Lotus 72 raced for six years (!).

The Gold Leaf livery was used in the 1970-71 seasons with the Lotus 72 in B, C and D configurations and the JPS livery was used in the 1972-75 seasons with the Lotus 72 in D, E and F configurations.

1970 Lotus 72

1972 Lotus 72D

The Lucky Strike car that Dave Charlton drove in 1972 was a 1971 model 72D, so I assume that it's the 1971 Lotus 72D that VMG is producing.

Although the 72D ran in both Gold Leaf (1971) and John Player Special (1972) livery, I've only ever seen the three tier wing on the Gold Leaf car, so I'm guessing that the VMG car will have the GLTL colours.

With kind regards,

Russell

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
saw the 1972 lotus at goodwood revival, its tiny compared to the new f1s, so much so it's probably a good thing this one is a bit bigger than 1/32, cos unless you have a complete set of 1972(ish) f1s, it would look very odd

·
Registered
759 Posts
Thanks Russel! I love those old tech drawings, a piece of art each and every one of them. I've seen the ones on vsrnonline, and they are of great help when you need some references. Where do you get them from? Do you have all those old magazines?

Thanks for the link ralph. It had some interesting reading and specs. And being a Swede I like the info on Ronnie Peterson... There it said the wheelbase was 100 inches which is 2540mm, so this seems to be the actual wheelbase.

Maybe you've got a point there astro. This whole scale thing is very much about the cars looking right together. Strangly no one seems to complain about the Fly classics, but most of them are overscaled too. And some of them look way big, like the 908's and the Chevrons for example, those cars should be very small really. But what strck me when I saw my first Vanquish MG was that it just looked huge and like it was of another scale. This Lotus looks a lot more promising, although 1:29 acording to the wheelbase.

toby

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
Courtesy of SPHobbies.com who are always quick off the mark getting pics of the Spanish released products.

Graham - another chance to do your posing round the track with the guy taking the plaudits before even starting the race. Just need to add the flag

Matt

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I`m sold! the only downer looks to be mould lines on the tyres? Not going to judge til I get them in my hand but I hope they go down well because the retro F` scene is poorly served and there are so many that could be produced. In my dreams?

·
Registered
349 Posts
BRILLIANT

2004 is going to Top 2003!!! WOOOOO HOOOO!

Ok, how come VMG is beating the big boys to the punch on some seriously underrepresented racing classes?!

Can-Am - VMG jumped all over Fly's 917/10 and took over the RTR Can-Am (scale issue aside!)

Early 70's F1 - VMG off to an early lead

Early 70's WSPs - Alfa's, Mirage...

Hello earth to Margate, historic race cars of interest will sell!!!!

Get a Ferrari license, do a P4, 250GTO, 275LM.
Get a Porsche license and out 917 Fly!!! Cripes people are paying $100+ car for the Gulf 917 Le Mans cars!!!!
What about a Ken Tyrrell line... the early blue elf versions with Sir Jackie are screaming to be made!!!

MORE MORE MORE!!!!!!

(ok Ive gone mad but is getting on lunch here in TO and I am famished!)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts