SlotForum banner

new kid on the block!

57941 Views 324 Replies 37 Participants Last post by  Ember
hello all, after far too many hours spent reading all the excellent advice and information on this site i've got going with my wooden track and literally up to my elbows in contact adhesive, grouting and paint mixing, and loving every minute of building my new sandstone cliffs.i got going again with the old scalextric track over the summer as a neighbour gave me a load of old curves, the track grew, bigger than the toy room and into the big space i've got near my workshop, during august that track was decorated and filled with props (with help from my 6 year old, who built a lego snack area for the pits!) and we have since staged a successful tournament last saturday with 27 drivers of all ages (not bad for a village of 250 people), since then i started on track number 2 in wood, have done the levels, routing and nearly finished the cliffs, but awaiting the copper and still tons of modelling to do.....but how happy am i doing it?, you get to regress to being a 4 year old mucking about with dirt and paint and glue, then when its done you turn in to an 8 year old and speed around a small spanish village at 1/32nd scale....GREAT.

anyway, just wanted to sign in and will try and post some pics soon of the 2 tracks,(when i've figured out how!)

cheers sig
241 - 260 of 325 Posts
something flashy under a camo net for sure..great idea (might have to be a chopper though), BUT it'll need some police cordon tape around the area as the boss josep hernandez has just been sent off to the clink remember...which is when the boy racer joyriders break and enter!....or is it the young nephew hiring the airfield out to his mates to get a quick buck?? we will see!
See less See more
Police tape works for me. It's a way to add a subtle flash of colour in an otherwise limited colour palette.
Police tape works for me. It's a way to add a subtle flash of colour in an otherwise limited colour palette.
theres an echo in here!

so in the village it was the crash scene
in mexico they do things even better...time to take weathering a bit further....target practice!

See less See more
Yeah. Sorry about that. Too much garlic in tonight's dinner. Everything keeps repeating on me.

I'd call that pretty serious weathering. But that kind of extreme definitely seems right for what you're trying to create.
YOUR best info. sources for 1/43 will be:

SCX Worldwide:
http://www.scxworldwide.com/ipb/index.php

HRW's 1/43 site:
http://homeracingworld.yuku.com/forums/5/t...acing-1-43.html

And if your German is pretty good the Geramn Carrera GO! Site:
http://www.carrera-go.info/

Last night I was tinkering and the car I originally thought would be good for you I decided against, so now I am on to some other car. I was thinking maybe something kind of Mad Maxish?????

See less See more
and i thought that slot cars was a sub culture...turns out theres another massive sub sub culture hidden inside it!...loads of great stuff on those forums..thanks a lot masmojo (i see you have alter ego on there aswell!)
i'll keep the options open with the 1:32 stuff but i think i'll have to go collecting the smaller stuff for this track too
mad max is cool, by now you should know my tastes!,,well excited cheers
See less See more
A sub to a sub .. hmm. Sure thing.

I forgot this nice Carrera Linky>> .. maybe it's the same linky that masmojo provided .. at least the Forum site seems the same [?] There are more of these, but all sites are in german ..

But anyway, you get a list & pix of all the GO!!! cars. The sets have some variations of cars included from 2001-2009. Also, I seem to recall seen some cars for sale on e-bay [UK]. Lots to be found on e-bay [DE] for sure, by a quick look now, 700+ GO!!! cars for sale at the moment .. Haven't tried it yet myself, as I bought most of my stuff at our local e-bay.

No harm in trying out a few, if you can find a pair cheap.

-- ron --
yo yo wassup y'all!

I'VE BEEN SHOPPING!!!!!!

and i have indeed seen the light! halleluyah!, i now am the proud owner of 2 scalextric compact mercs, a diecast porsche, lambo, hummer,mini, and beemer 5 series, plus a big crappy old digger and some scrap collecting trucks, and recycling bins.plus some new fangled glue for the kits, 6 paints and an AAAAAIIIIIIRRRRBBBRRRRUUUUSSSSSHHHHH WITH COMPRESSOR....yiiiihhaaaaa!

and all for the princley sum of 120 well earned euros...try and do that with 1:32!!!!???

now i never realised just how small these compact cars are, the fotos on the web are very misleading, they are TINY...think ...a matchbox!

now quite how they get to write readable letters on the tyres of those things were the rubber profile is about 2mm ..i do not know.
i take back all i said about the black windows, it just doesnt really matter.
the truth is theres too much detail in those things for the eye to take in anyway!

i've tried them on the village track and they look like go karts, and the church looks like a cathedral, they go well, a bit slower than the bigger ones but to be honest thats a good thing, otherwise they'd be just a blur.also my worries about sliding were ill founded, they act just like the others, great!

the only thing is that they are so light the brushes raise the fr4ont off the ground!, i can see i'll have to put a bit of plasterscene in there!

so the other diecast stuff...well they're ok, toys and super cheap, the 5 series beamer rides too high and i think tht will be destined to be josep hernandez,s car of choice, but as hes in prison, i might need to burn it out!.

if i had more money i could have bought any number of excellent cars (was looking at the old citroen ds) but the posh models were going between 20 and 40 euros.

also some of the train lights and equipment is sold as ho but looks fine in 1:43, and the quality /price ratio is great, so expect some old railway lighting dotted around...

so there you go, as you can see from the fotos the planes are beginning to look big (and in reality remember they are even bigger), so officially from now on this track is a 1:43 scale track

meaning it can be much bigger on the same board, giving space for loads more dioramas and events...so i'm pleased, my pocket is and my eye...i hope you all are too

thanks to all that convinced me 1:43 was the way to go...now to relearn all the tecniques i learnt on the village...they say the smaller scales are easier...i'll tell you when i find out!

cheers for now sig

See less See more
Wooh .. I'd like to have some of the drugs you're on .. ooooor .. on the other hand, maybe NOT. I couldn't afford it [get it?]

Smaller scales .. hmm, you'll find more easily plenty of scenic stuff, all kind of plastic kits, diorama stuff, buildings and cars etc. 1:48 to 1:43 is not that big differance?

Good choise. As now you got the best of both wo .... scales.

Edit: .. forgot to mention, scale O is big in UK in model railroads, that's 1:43 too [but 1:48 in US]

-- ron --
YES! Part of the reason I was going to send you a car (still will, picked out the perfect one last night and went to work on it) was that I knew you would be instantly sold!!
Most of the Compact cars only need a bit of lead on the chassis (1/4oz.) right between the motor and the guide or split up and place on either side of the motor. The DTM's are a little rattly; trim the little protrusion that sticks down inside the body above the motor a little and the file a little more clearence between the body and the wing strut and that will quieten them down considerably!!
If you can pick up the new Ferrari 360 Modena's, Porsche 997 they are a treat and the Seat Leons are pretty nice as well!!
If you read on some of the other forums I linked you to earlier there are threads on getting the fronts down!!

Those do look MUCh better next to the planes and your entry up the plank of the cargo plane looks perfect!! Take the Compacts and add Aluminum wheels and stickier tires and they are even better!!

Looks as though the course is truely set now!! Another tip! Military models! You can order stuff in 1/45 scale and 1/35 scale that will look right at home there!!!
Try Verlinden models!
See less See more
I am happy you found your solution and are in a yiiiiiiiiiaaaaaaahh! state. I will follow this thread now with curiosity about how well a 1/43 car does drive. You seem to be putting the scenery aspect above all which I totally understand.

Here goes a question for 1/43 crowd: will a 1/43 car do a powerslide along the spiral sig has built or will it look like a mouse going bonkers? If this sounds sounds like 1/32 snobbery it is not (or is it?
)
See less See more
QUOTE (rallyP @ 12 Nov 2009, 20:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I am happy you found your solution and are in a yiiiiiiiiiaaaaaaahh! state. I will follow this thread now with curiosity about how well a 1/43 car does drive. You seem to be putting the scenery aspect above all which I totally understand.

Here goes a question for 1/43 crowd: will a 1/43 car do a powerslide along the spiral sig has built or will it look like a mouse going bonkers? If this sounds sounds like 1/32 snobbery it is not (or is it?
)

I am sure there will be no problems with the car negotiating the spiral, in fact it will probably do it easier, remember that a tight turn for a 1/32 is pretty easy for a 1/43 car!! Your concept of a tight turn totally changes as does you concept of a long straight!!
Where as with your standard 1/32 car it's hard to find a long enough straight, with 1/43? Easy!

Snobbery? well maybe a little bit, but I have been into 1/32 for close to 13 years and have hundreds of that scale car. I always thought 1/43 would be the ideal scale, but nobody made good cars that acted like my 1/32, now SCX has and my focus has been headed that way ever since!! People have started calling 1/43 the scale for modelers and maybe there is something to that, because it does make layouts suchs as the ones Siggy builds much easier as well as increasing what can be done! Beyond that the SCX Compact cars handle pretty much like what you are used to and they are tunable!!! To my mind the 1/43 cars are perfect for UK/Europe where people generally live in smaller spaces and are putting them in their Attic (Or whatever you call them there; I can't remember??) A decent layout can be built on 4' X 8' and a super one can be done in twice that space!

I could talk about it all day long, but what would be the best thing is for you to go buy some!! They are cheap and if you don't like them or even if you like them, but they are not your cup of tea, the resale market is good!
See less See more
the thing i'm most excited about is the price of these things, if you bought a beautiful diecast and bolted it on to a decent tuned frame, you would have a one off car for still less than the going price of a standard scaley, and obviously a 2 pack of those mercs at 24 euros is a good deal, mostly because it means you dont have to be so precious about the things. as i like rusting, aging and adding extra soul to these things, its great for my experimentation.i still am very interested in the driving quality on the track which is why i'm designing all these weird stunts!, but from the little i've seen from a 12 euro car out of the box, i'm quite impressed.
the discussion will no doubt rage forever!

bye 4 now sig
Ooooooooh.... Really sweet haul there. And the big bonus is that the planes now work.

Ok. All that plus airbrush and compressor for how much????? EUR 120??!!??!! Damn! I wanna go shopping where you shop!

So. Now I'm looking forward to seeing your comparative review of 1:43 vs 1:32.

Oh, and please tell me you're gonna wreck the hummer.... please.

Cheers
Embs
hey ho! i've been busy, with my lovely glue and airbrush, all the toy orange trucks are now dulled down and dirty, and the planes are alive, well or at least less dead! now i know this is not a modellers forum so those who want to see slot cars should turn off now.........!gone....... ok for the rest of you
heres the black widow..great fun, you make it, put it through world war 2 , then give it 55 years worth of aging.this now will become the equivalent of the big tree in the village, it has to be moulded into the ground with the plaster paste and probably slumped onto 2 wheels i would guess. the drop tanks etc will be left underneath and in the weeds. its an excellent model for scrapping because all the ports and windows can be left open (even in the cockpit is aged)

the star of the show and the only working plane so far , the catalina is also painted on the inside and welded up just needs the exterior treatment, and the mirage is built, ready to be destroyed.

i'm saving the tricky one till last, the fortress needs to look almost as if its being sucked into the ground, due to its rot!
anyway great fun and warm as it can be done inside!

hope you like it sig

ps ember, ethically i guess i should do something rad with the gas guzzling hummer yes!
See less See more
Sig, just now I see your work, it is super! and very impressive , post more pictures, is great to see your work!!!
Oh! Come ooon!!! Give us a break!!! Now you are also an expert plane assembler and painter! Show us that you messed up something.

Ok, ok. I am calming down now...

Looks fabuuuuulous (maybe the stickers on the plane look a bit too vivid) looking forward to the next installments.
It's looking sweet, however.......not to pretend I could do it myself......
Since we already talked about cancars, I saw this one today, and I think you should nick his technic of removing some edges and creating holes, chattered windows etc. with the dremel(it looks so simple)
&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6">[URL=http://www.youtube.com/v/

chips
yep now you mention it the nose art there in that pic looks a bit too fresh, and i'm not happy with the glass canopy (they didnt have any paint on mask in the shop), so i'll probably chuck a few stones through it and dremmel it to death to get rid of the badly painted structure lines.
i have to say although i like weathering stuff it feels like sacriledge to beat up these old beauties, this is why the catalina will stay aging gracefully she's my favourite!

sig
241 - 260 of 325 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.