SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right then hello every body iv been a member on here for a while but never seem to post so i think its about time i bucked my ideas up and sort myself out

Iv always been a petrol head and for the past 2-3 years iv collected slot cars bust due to limited space never had a perminant track due to living with my girlfriend and her parents.
But over the summer me and kirstie went through a fad in which we started a n gauge modlerailway but its been sat for months now and is currently on ebay.
When we first started we cleard room for it and managed to get about 2ft x 8ft, now the layout is for sale and will hopfully selll i get the space and you guessed it im finaly gonna build a track YAY

The far end im going to bring the table out abit to make enough room for a standrd scalextric bend.

Iv decided to finaly buy a digital set (im waiting for this years new gt pro set) but im scalextric so that when me and kirstie get a place of our own we can pack it away easily.

Im gonna try and fit a pit lane into the layout so many track desighns will be tryied.

Iv put so photos of my collection and the train set so it gives you a rough idea of the space i have.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Iv made a rough plan on an old track designer iv got and modifyed it in paint so that you have a rough idea were my lane changes and pit will be

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Hey malyon/ Lee, great to see you're back! And what a collection you got there!

Just an initial idea to get you into gear .. How about a semi-permanent layout? At least two ways to do it -- As a box, size your anoted 2'x 8'. The lid of the box opens up towards front and flips lenghtwise around full 180 degrees. When folded out, it's level with the boxes bottom so to speak. Thus you'd double the layout area. When not in use, the lid functions as a dustcover.

Or the lid is "loose", when racing you turn it upside down AND place it 90 degrees angle to the box. You could get a biggish L [or a T or V whatever] of 8'[x2'] x10' or less if space is limited. Also doubles the layout area.

I'm sure there are layouts in Tracks & Scenery Section similar to that. And you got the skills for sure to do it, too!

Any which way, keep us posted!

-- ron --

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats a great idea but im not aloud any more room than we have already iv managed to bargin having the end by the window widened a bit but that all im alound
And after a long day at work or working on the golf i dont want the hassle to in fold sctions and have to peice to gether track i just want to plug and play

Plus i would quite like a perminant layout so that i cand do some basic scenery.

Thank you tho for your imput (when we fianaly get our own place il have a whole room then i can get carried away
)

·
Lars Ole
1,640 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Hey malyon .. I was struck by an idea and just had to test this with you. Shelves is the key to this. Plans about 1' /square.

Space is sparce so I figured IF you can live with making a multi-level track here's a plan. For rally this would be ok, don't know about F1, as a mini-Monaco? The level differance could easily be about 100 -150 mm at the back. Lower at the double hairpin-section in the middle. Scalextric cross-over bridge [C8295] has less than 60 mm! I think that's way too low, as no Trucks could pass.

-- Top level, long straight ..

-- Bottom level, straight with a quick R4 kink and banked R3 ..

It's a bit tight, not much room for borders but it just manages to squeeze in even a banked R3 at left and 2 straights [ok .. one with an R4 in it]
and a couple of slower hairpins. Lanes are not equall, it only a twisted "open loop". But you still got room for some straight XLC, but no working pits though.

Wadda ya think? ..

-- ron --

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ronmcrain
thank you for your idea and it think its fantastic but im set on having a working pits
Plus with the pits iv aloud for buildings but thank you for your imput designing a track this small is a challenge

umbra

Im able to extend the table buy 3" to the side and the lenght buy 6" only to alow for barriers to be aplyed

·
Registered
156 Posts
Lou E
i might give that ago im gonna built a flat base board to start so i can try things with standard bridge supports but once i have a layout im hapy with im going to built all rises with thin mdf enablting it to bend and give me a preminant solid support.

Umbra
I might try that one il give a few of these ideas a try once the train set goes and i can built my base board

Last night i went and got all the track a needed i even treated myself to a new car

·
Registered
581 Posts
QUOTE (malyon @ 29 Jan 2009, 13:06) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like it! I'm always challenged on space too, but then again for me that's part of the game. The hardest thing I think in a small space is doing digital and allowing room for the LCs as well ample space to use them. I think the combo above is very nice. The only thing I'd want to change is that tight turn at the end of the pit straight. It may need to be there, though, in which case it'll just be a challenge to slow down. Then again, lots of F1 circuits have such tricky features.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
QUOTE (gokartride @ 31 Jan 2009, 13:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I like it! I'm always challenged on space too, but then again for me that's part of the game. The hardest thing I think in a small space is doing digital and allowing room for the LCs as well ample space to use them. I think the combo above is very nice. The only thing I'd want to change is that tight turn at the end of the pit straight. It may need to be there, though, in which case it'll just be a challenge to slow down. Then again, lots of F1 circuits have such tricky features.

I agree about the corner but i wanted the longest pit straight possible to i needed a tighter bend

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi
I was just wondering about ideas to fit the pit lane in, and was wondering if you think you would be able to cut and shut tracks. I have an incredibly similar space available to me but have a single lane rally track which is very different. Also, do you need to have full pit buildings in the layout?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
QUOTE (ginetta0 @ 31 Jan 2009, 20:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi
I was just wondering about ideas to fit the pit lane in, and was wondering if you think you would be able to cut and shut tracks. I have an incredibly similar space available to me but have a single lane rally track which is very different. Also, do you need to have full pit buildings in the layout?

On my layout i am planning on having pit buildings i know i lose track space but i do like my scenery

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.