SlotForum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks
First post here - I been lurking/reading for ages but for Christmas i got my son (cough cough) a scalextrix set to add to his last set and for some reason this year Its turned into a real father son activity that we are both really in to! I do find though especially now its more than a figure of 8 drift set that When he is gone to sleep I am playing a little more than him and getting quite addicted!
I have a load of questions of course like all new comers to the hobby but i'll start at the beginning with just one and see how i go.

At the moment we have about 40ft of sport track using the standard controllers and power base.

Now while I can envisage more track / cars / modding cars / etc I will start with what we have and the main issue is control the stock controller is pretty poor with very unprogressive feedback/response as to how you squeeze the trigger translates to car speed both accel and decel.

So obviously google led here and i searched and read and searched and read and now I am... confused.So much choice.

There are no clubs here so I cant try out a couple of different types of club members like maybe some of you guys can.

What i want from the controller is to have a distinct range of power to the vehicle depending on finger travel on the trigger and for the brakes/decel not to seem so abrupt as it robs you of any corner entry speed.

To narrow the choice down lets say we are not rich! So absolute max 80 pounds - 100 euros per controller and that would want to be special

I am also quite efficient at soldering and DIY electronics so not afraid of kits.

Can anyone help? All the searching and reading i have done here has kind of over loaded me with info that unfortunately i dont have much of a frame of reference on so the voice of experience may help give me a better idea which way to go.

Well thats a long enough first post - looking forward to seeing ye on the forums

jasperok

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
Hi jasperok and welcome!!

The Parma is a good up-grade controller. There are also various resistor values that are available and these allow for varying degrees of car control sensitivity. I think the standard Scalextric controllers are 60 ohms. I have found that a Parma 45 ohms gives a good "general" setting for various cars. I bought a Parma controller and a range of resistors to test. Different makes of cars respond in different ways; some need more power to start and some less power but have slower acceleration etc. However, the adjustable controllers (such as Slot It SCP) have a fantastic range of adjustments...but will blow your budget!!

Look at Pendle Slot Racing's web site as they have a good range of controllers and also it provides an idea on the pricing.

Good luck!

Philip

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Hi jasperok
Welcome to the Slot Forum

It sounds like the controller you have isn't well matched to your cars. Possibly one problem is the resistance of the resistor.
If the car doesn't go at useful cornering speed till the trigger is pushed quite a way down its stroke - you need a resistor with less ohms
If the car is too fast for tight corners as soon as the trigger comes past the "off "position - you need a resistor with more ohms

You seem to be describing a car with to much braking. Does the controller already have a brake wire connected? (If it has there will be 3 pins connecting it to the track, if it doesn't have brakes there will only be 2 pins connecting it to the track.)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi jasperok, you might also consider TruSpeed controllers have a look at "TruSpeed Branded - New Handle for New Controllers, Product launch @ Orpington 20th Nov" Article/Topic in the Forum News area. Their mid range controller the new "Club Hybrid" which although not available off the shelf is bang on your budget and will be well worth the wait - stock currently expected within 1st quarter 2012. I understand forward orders are accepted through their web site www.truspeed.co.uk although the full range is not yet on display. Happy New Year, Rusty.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I'd also recommend the Parma Economy 45ohm controller, it's good value, has a nice feel and is pretty good for most cars in terms of feel.

I'm not aware of any scalextric clubs in Ireland apart from our small group in Dublin who race every 2nd Thursday, and a group who race near Belfast. On one of our tracks the controller in use is the 45ohm Parma economy one and it works very well I find.

If you are in the Dublin area send me a message and you are welcome to come along to a race night, new faces are always welcome!

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the welcome and reply folks

Maybe the parma will be ok - is it progressive enough on the trigger?

My main gripe with the stock controllers are not being able to hold the vehicle at different speeds it only really seems to have 3 or 4 different speeds and not always feeling in the same trigger position - and also when you slow for the corners it seems you cant say decelerate by 20 - 30 % .

I am guessing when you are trying to get good at this hobby alot of it is about muscle memory of the fingers and the the position they are are in for diferent speeds (as well as technically understanding about cornering etc) This doesnt seem acheivable with the stock controllers as they seem too random.

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
Jasperok, any controller is going to ne a massive improvement on the stock standard Scalex one. Pick a bade range model to learn with and you'll be laughing.

When I decided to do the controller upgrade I went through all the pros and cons of each possibility and decided on a pair of base range Professor Motor electronic (power modulated?) controllers. The idea being that they can be upgraded to variable sensitivity and variable braking at a later date. Price was not dissimilar to that of Parks Eco and feel is great. One thing worth noting though is that you would need to make sure you het the right kind (Scalex track is negatively wired, most routed or hire tracks are positively wired)

Anyway whatever direction you decide to take you will notice the difference and enjoy your track and cars so much more.

Have fun
Embs

·
Registered
454 Posts
Before I went digital I upgraded from the stock scaley analogue controllers to the Professor Motor electronic controller (comes with the right socket for the scalextric analogue powerbase). Pretty much like Ember I purchased this controller with the idea that I could upgrade the controller when I felt the need. They are nice and smooth and definately an improvement on the stock controllers. The only thing that I'm not happy with is that I can no longer use it as its not compatible with the newish 6 car powerbase, but always good to take to a mates house to use.

Matt

·
Registered
495 Posts
QUOTE (jasperok @ 1 Jan 2012, 22:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>My main gripe with the stock controllers are not being able to hold the vehicle at different speeds it only really seems to have 3 or 4 different speeds and not always feeling in the same trigger position - and also when you slow for the corners it seems you cant say decelerate by 20 - 30 % .
Even the stock controllers in good working order should be much better than that.
But even compared with a stock controllers in good working order, a Parma will be a good upgrade.
Parma controllers are a good deal cheaper than the electronic offerings - you get what you pay for.
With Parmas (or any resistance controller) you need the right resistance to suit your cars / track conditions. Parma sell the resistors separately, so it is possible to swap resistors at very reasonable cost.
Electronic controllers (even the non adjustable ones) are OK on a much wider range of cars / track conditions. Take note of what Ember says about polarity - they don't work if you get it wrong!

·
Alan Tadd
4,039 Posts
The best controller I have used for home layouts is by far is the Prof Motor range. Being electronic they allow you to drive magnet cars in the same progressive way you drive non-magnet cars.
very smooth and as said earlier they come with the correct connections for the Scalextric Power Base. Not for digital I'm afraid....
I am selling all my slotcars and ancillery equipment, so if you want some of these controllers I can let you have some....As they are used and you are a newcomer to the hobby, you can have them for £20 each plus P&P....(they may have a little overspray on them, as they are kept near my spray booth...but no charge for the paint!.....You can look at my website below to see the controllers/setup.
The difference between the awful Scalextric on/off buttons and the Prof motor units is like night and day.
Regards
Alan

·
Registered
326 Posts
I will go one step further and extend the topic a bit. I´m kind of reborn to this hobby myself and I was in the exact same situation as you where not too long ago. The analog Scalextric controllers and also (in my opinion) the powerbase is a total shame. They are not built for people who like slot car racing, but are cheap entry level stuff. I´m a big man, and I could almost feel the damn analog controllers go to pieces in my hand when i was racing with them.

I will probably get flamed for saying this, but I would say that most Scalextric cars are the same, cheap entry level stuff. So if you get seriously bitten, you will probably find yourself longing for and wanting to get some better performance/control cars like NSR or Slot.It (or other brands). To me, the Scalextric cars come out when I have friends over and want a friendly fun race for people who are inexperienced and when I dont want to be afraid to smash the cars up (the high resistant Audi´s are a hit here then on those events). When I want fun racing i take out my Slot.It cars or my NSR cars.

It´s such a difference in experience to drive on a track with a good powerbase, with good (enough) controllers, with good cars, and even more so with the magnets removed. Once you get there, you will most likely feel that racing a stock analog Scalextric set with stock analog controllers, stock analog powersupply and stock Scalextric cars where nothing but childs play compared to the joy you get driving on a one step better setup.

So what I wonder is if you should not widen your goal a bit more already now, and try to find a powerbase and controllers that work great together, because you will most likely want to replace the powerbase next. The Scalextric digital Advanced Powerbase and controllers are a huge step up in my opinion, and you can set the track to Analog and keep running it that way if you dont want to go digital, but you still have the option to in the future also experience digital racing by slapping in some lane changers and getting some digital chips (with that said, digital racing is not a taste for everybody).

If you dont want to spend TOOOOOOO much money, I would check out that option. A C7042, a couple of Scalextric digital controllers (cheap, but more robust then the analog ones and work better since they are digital) and two power supplies. Bit more expensive then buying two Parma controllers maybe, but you take a huge leap into control, get a powerbase that´s amazing for a home track (15v x 4 Amp on each lane), take your first step into digital and can still continue to do analog racing. Not to mention that you can buy a USB cable and hook the whole track up to your PC for RMS.

Just my 5 cents.

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
I did upgrade my power supply at the same time I upgraded my controllers. I purchased an inexpensive, variable voltage lab supply (cost me around AUD100 but I know others that got the same model cheaper). I wired it directly to a straight piece of track so that I could get rid of the hideous lump that is the Scaley Sport power straight. I used the wiring diagram from Fergy's Place to help me do it.

I selected the third option with direction switch but no brake switch.

This also allowed me to wire the track in the more usual "positive" control scheme rather than the Scaley "negative" setup and use positive controllers that I can use on routed tracks elsewhere.

The ability to adjust voltage is a worthwhile option, particularly when running with children or novices. Also some cars better suit the lower voltage option.

The power supply is more than enough to run my track, lighting and a few other things that I will add to it over time (like photo sensors for timing).

And back to controllers, I paid only AUD 10 more for the base model Professor Motor controller than was the going rate for the Parma Economy controller at the time. When I made my choice I hadn't had the opportunity to use a Parma controller. I have done so since, using both the Parma Turbo and TQ. Were I to make the decision all over again I would still buy the Professor Motor controllers.

But really, as I said before, any controller you decide upon is going to be such a massive upgrade it just can't fail to be the right decision (at least for a little while
)

Embs

1 - 13 of 13 Posts