SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Just seen on Topslots and trains that Scalextric will be releasing some Starwars bikes.

http://www.topslotsntrains.com/topslotsntr...Scalextric'

http://www.topslotsntrains.com/topslotsntr...Scalextric'

Can some one tell me how they can charge £44.99 each for a preorder item when all you can see is a picture of a bike from the film, how will these bikes look in the flesh so to speak, not that I'll be buying any at these prices.
I can see these being targeted at the collector and young children so I guess you'd end up buying a pair to "race" against each other.
In the hands of young children I can't see them even making the first corner in one piece.
Value for money, I think not.

Cabbyman.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
It'll need to be that price to do with the license. Then when they dont sell, they'll be dumped through Argos Amazon et al at around £25

Things will never change, stuff is priced at a silly high price, only a few sell then they sit on a load of stock for months on end paying interest on the money they borrowed to buy it. Eventually that "dead" stock gets dumped almost at cost and they break even or make a loss. If only they'd pitched it at a sensible price in the 1st place.

I worked for a company that did that all the time, and we were forever having to compensate dealers who'd paid the full price.

·
Ewan McKen
1,448 Posts
There are a lot of Star Wars Collectors around.

They are used to paying silly money for bits of cheap plastic.

Maybe these will sell well.

The retailer is asking well below the RRP, so I dont see any reason to fault them at this stage.

Regards,
Ewan

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
i think every car above carreras basic £28 cars are over priced with the exception of slot it and nsr, because most people will up grade to their running gear anyway, even nsr could bring their prices down to a reasonable level if they made them in china, after all the bodies motors and most of the running gear is made in china, its only the assembly thats done in italy, hence the high price. NO slot car should cost over £30 nsr and slot it £40 only cause their running gear is better. john.

G

·
QUOTE (stoner @ 20 Jan 2012, 10:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>NO slot car should cost over £30 nsr and slot it £40 only cause their running gear is better. john.

Get real mate. A packet of **** shouldn't cost £7 plus and a litre of fuel shouldn't cost £1.30 plus but it does.
Slot cars have not gone up anywhere near the amount these to examples have and, at least the quality has improved in the cars.

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
Each car is worth what general public is willing to pay for it. If you don't like the price, you simply wait for the price to drop down. Some people are willing to pay over the odds to get what they want.

I guess Carrera have approached it from a different angle to everyone else and are trying to get more of the market by selling at considerably lower prices to the rest. Is it working for them? I would certainly think so by what I have seen on the forum so far. Lets hope others follow but until then it is us as consumers who will dictate the prices.

·
Registered
83 Posts
My tip is that they are not appealing to your regular slot car fan. But more the Starwars fan who will buy anything licensed by them. Also hoping to lure any slot car-ing Starwars fan to splurge a bit. Good on them if they can sell for that much!

·
Tom Brown (Scorpus Flex)
1,214 Posts
i was thinking about these star wars speeders bikes cos im a bit of a fan.

realistically, my solution would be to buy a ready to run pcs chassis, paint everything black, and stick some hasbro speeder bikes and riders on the top. The only way I would buy these is if they had some cool leaning system like the new scx moto gp bikes.

and the choice of an ewok to ride one? I think a scout trooper would have been a lot more popular.

·
Tom Brown (Scorpus Flex)
1,214 Posts
a little bit of research reveals the set will include 2 bikes, 1 for luke and 1 for scout trooper. i imagine it will be pretty pricey though when you see the cost of individual bikes.

·
Prof I T
11,196 Posts
hi
i would imagine the licensing fee's would be quite high on anything carrying the star wars name.

Mr Lucas and co have said in the past that they make a whole lot more from merchandising than they do from the films themselves...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.