SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it got here for Xmas but I am disappointed they took the lazy route and it is a short tail.
I might be wrong but all these were long tail no?

Still looks good - just not right.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Yup! Should be a longtail with a rear spoiler twice the front to back depth of that one, wheels aren't right either.... What was the point? They may as well have done a fantasy livery...

-Rob

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
We all knew we couldn't reasonnably (sadly) expect the long tail version.

That said, it is true that many true short tail liveries remain to be done, among them a great bu generally forgotten blue and yellow one that won the british championship in 1996. Maybe I should offer my services to Ninco ...

·
Premium Member
5,398 Posts
I think Fast was quick to point out that I was off on a day dream wishing this would be a long-tail when the livery was announced.

Shame.

And there are many interesting genuine liveries waiting to be done.

I wonder if this is a dip your toes in the water for Ninco? The water being the Japanese market.

I really dislike those hubs.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
The Yellow Corn livery would have been nicer then ...

I wonder if the sales in Asia are that high and would justify such liveries ... In fact this makes me think about a new topic I have in mind regarding the marketing strategies of the different makes ...

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
QUOTE They may as well have done a fantasy livery

Most people won't notice the difference. Even those who think they are keen watchers on TV will likely be unphased by the lack of length.

On the livery front I'd have though re-issuing as new, super sharp and long lasting tampos all the old slightly smudgy sticker cars would be a good start. The Uneo Clinic Le Mans winner is just 18 months off being an ideal 10th anniversary release.

Scott

·
Registered
349 Posts
sphobbies has this car in stock now. sphobbies.com

looks like it comes with the NC-5...

I like my NC-1 McLarens, my NC-2 is a little too torquey for my track and is prone to hop under full accelleration on my 18' straight.

I'm interested in what the NC-5 will do in this chasis...

as for longtail, I forgive them, but I as other would LOVE some early version re-issues with Tampo printing instead of stickers...(they re-issued the Blue Merc CLK GTR so there's hope!)

Cheers, Ken

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
There's always the Top Slot and Cartronic longtail McLaren F1 GTRs that could be reliveried if you must have one.

Pictures courtesy of Mark Gussin.

I love the Ninco McLaren F1s.

This year is Ninco's 10th anniversary and I don't think that we give them due credit for setting the high standard for scale and detail that we have become accustomed to these days.

I remember seeing the first Ninco Renault Clio and comparing it to the cars that Scalextric were producing at the time. There was no comparison. Then along came Fly, setting even higher standards and this, in my view, brought about Scalextric having to go back to the drawing board, culminating in the superb models that they are producing these days.

Kind regards

Russell

·
Jim Moyes
5,002 Posts
I couldn't agree more, Russell

I remember the arrival of Ninco, our club was bemoaning the fact that the Exin cars had moved production to China and the quality had slipped (but we didn't moan about the 60% cut in price), and along came the Clios. They were like a breath of fresh air!

Not so sure about Fly though, board/copper tape wasn't their best race track, but as you say we were amazed by the level of detail.

And Hornby of the time? XR2is and 1/28 DTM cars didn't really help their image much. But credit where credit is due and they certainly have responded with some excellent stuff in recent years.

Cheers Mr.M

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
On Ninco in general, I like them just fine.
Every bit as RTR straight out of the box as Scalextric and virtually trouble free in my experience. Love their Formula 1s - perhaps the perfect balance of power and magnetism on plastic track - I absolutely don't care if there are 'faster' cars - these are GREAT exactly as they come!

G

·
I agree with Russell too, It is hard to realise now how much Ninco really move the standards upwards.
I was sent the first two Clio's as samples to write about and these were great little cars and performed really well and had round tyres( unlike many of the then Scalextric cars) I still have them.

RR

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
There has always been a strong rumour amongst the Spanish collectors that the Clio was actually an Exin car!
Seems that when the factoty shut in Barcelona , the moulds went with the workforce to Ninco!

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I don't know about the exin/ninco clio rumour but exin were certainly producing some very nice cars early on.

This is the Exin Lotus Mk IV.

imo the finish and detailing was well above the average standards of the time.

Notice the gearbox, safety light, radiators and front suspension for example.

These Spanish Scalextric cars were not generally on sale in the UK though and I have to agree with Russell: I remember seeing the Ninco Alfa Romeo mixed in with a shelf full of Scalextric cars on sale in a model shop. It certainly stood out from the crowd - and I bought it on the spot!

It's wonderful to see how manufacturers have strived to make present day standards so high.

·
Jim Moyes
5,002 Posts
If it's any help, Tropi, I picked up a similar era Brabham BT46 in red for Jexy at a recent NSCC swappie for £40. So you should be able to find something within your recently disclosed slot car price range

This class is regularly picked at Liphook, along with Powersledge, despite the relative age and rarity of the cars, simply because of the excellent close racing that they normally create. The fact that Ortmann and Pink Kar have made new rubber available helps immensely too

I think Phil would be a good point of contact to add one to your racing stable. I seem to remember he had some on his table at the recent Worthing "do". Despite having at least one of everything they did, I find I am always drawn to cars from the Exin era at swapmeets.

Cheers Mr.M

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
No black Lotus in stock at the moment, they sell mint boxed condition for about £85, a little less for the other colours, also came in the 'Essex' livery, prices are the same with a premium for the correct green livery.

All these Exin F1 cars are amongst my best sellers, I never have them in stock for long!
Along with the Lotus there was

Williams FW07
Brabham BT46
Ferrari B3
Ligier JS11
Tyrrell P34
Tyrrell 002

I'll try to dig out some pics

1 - 20 of 23 Posts