SlotForum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

Electric model car driver
I get it but not overly fussed by it but what I'm hoping for is, a lot of punters will be put off by it and I'll be able to pick one up for a price that would put a smile on my face and paint out the headlight and cibie decals or just race it as is.

Premium Member
The black doesn't even get to the bottom of the front. It looks like they couldn't be bothered.
If you listen carefully, you can hear the NSR marketing dept laughing their socks off at those poor suckers who will buy just about anything with 鈥渞eady to race鈥 on the packaging!

Reactions: Wankel Ickx

Alan Wilkinson
Seems like nsr designed the body for the 908 to have no lights and have balked at the prospect of making new molds and details to put lights in so as to do this livery properly.
I'd agree that the painted lights don't look good and it is fair to expect better than this from a car at this price.
AlanW

Registered
Do the math(s).
A new body mould with accurate headlight apertures would cost, say, 30,000.
Edition size of, let鈥檚 be generous, 500.
Therefore, extra cost (not price) of 60 per car.
Painted lights is a clever workaround.

The apoplectic amongst you could take a drill and needle file to the car.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Um? Two things there, MSM. Firstly, with your maths/economics, the Italian Kings of Fantasy Liveries would surely amortise the mould over countless releases - Repsol (orange base, black base), Gulf (obvs), Rothmans (why ever not?), Martini, Mann Racing and back to Repsol hoping folk had forgotten that first issue. Leopards don't change their spots when those markings are lucrative. Then you've got any authentic options of genuine liveries they might want to consider.

Secondly, personally, I'm not apoplectic. I am 'shaking my head in disbelief'鈩. 馃

That they can claim, "NSR鈥檚 main goal has always been to innovate and improve wherever possible." and then cynically punt these out puts a lie to that one.馃し鈥嶁檪锔

I will buy a McLaren, obvs.馃檮

Hypocrisy is contagious!

Registered
Aunque no entiendo mucho del tema de los LM y GT, quer铆a hacerme uno y mir茅 varios proyectos. Me decid铆 por el Kremer K8 de Salda帽a & Orleans.
Este 908/03 no lo quise hacer porque ya estaba hecho. Lo he buscado en el Google y veo que hay dos modelos diferentes.
El de Slot Real Car en tres versiones.

Although I don't know much about LM and GT, I wanted to make one for myself and I looked at several projects. I decided on the Kremer K8 from Salda帽a & Orleans.
I didn't want to do this 908/03 because it was already done. I have googled it and I see that there are two different models.
The Slot Real Car in three versions.

El de unos aficionados que hicieron unas pocas unidades en resina del coche de 1973 para un club .
That of some fans who made a few resin units of the 1973 car for a club.

Salut
Frederic

Registered
Do the math(s).
A new body mould with accurate headlight apertures would cost, say, 30,000.
Edition size of, let鈥檚 be generous, 500.
Therefore, extra cost (not price) of 60 per car.
Painted lights is a clever workaround.

The apoplectic amongst you could take a drill and needle file to the car.
鈥︹r buy and build a white kit. The NSR 917 I built was a real pleasure to do!

Surely wouldn鈥檛 need a new mould - just some changes to the existing tool?
However, it鈥檚 not just the lights; the cockpit opening and windscreen are wrong and, as somebody else has said, the back end needs a cover, too, to make a 1972 or later car. The turbos have even more differences and probably would need a new tool.

The question is - would we rather have a real livery on a wrong-shape body, or a complete fantasy livery like on the Fords?

Mike

ParrotGod
it is not like these cars are new or there is lack of documentation/pictures - as the good Trisha has showed here with the usual bombardment of pics from his archives.
So, a company that wants to be innovative, can prepare in advance the mold to have different parts depending on the year/model they want to reproduce.
Personally, I think that a real livery on the wrong car version is as bad as a fantasy livery.
Interestingly enough, NSR regularly does both of the above.

David Collins
While I would like realistic lights on the cars that I buy, I sympathise with NSR after seeing Trisha's pics - the lights seem to be different on each car that is fitted with them - a nightmare for a model company! Its a pity because the livery is great.

Registered
While I would like realistic lights on the cars that I buy, I sympathise with NSR after seeing Trisha's pics - the lights seem to be different on each car that is fitted with them - a nightmare for a model company! Its a pity because the livery is great.
For me, it鈥檚 not the principle of stickers for lights that I find naff; I鈥檝e used stickers myself and full-size NASCARs use them. The NSR 908 sticker lights are on a complex compound (3-D) curve, so they look like they鈥檙e all pointing in different directions They don鈥檛 even line up right at the lower edge.
Mike

21 - 40 of 47 Posts