SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Hi all,

Here are some picture of my track as it is now. It will be partly a hillside track with some nice hairpins. I would like to know your opinion on the trackbefore I start to try some landscaping. I am a newbie at landscaping. I wonder if the track will combine with my mostly LeMans style cars.

Thanks and greetings,

Don Quislot.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
If you have an MC12, drive it around, if its fine with the track, then all most all cars will be, because the MC12 is sooo long.

Very nice track BTW, like the inclines and decilines, always twisty on the way down

Matt

·
Registered
600 Posts
I am glad you like it so far, guy's. Drummer, the layout is not settled yet. I am still rethinking and occasionally reshaping the hillside track. Matt, I don't have the MC12 yet. Can you recommend it? My savings are not yet finished

The tables I made during the weekend. On monday I started laying the first version of the track. Since then I have reshaped the sweeps on the hill three or four times. You think I should place barriers between the track and those fences to allow the tail of the car swinging out? Maybe I should. The Nissan 390 has me already worrying about the paint on its sides.

Thanks for looking,

Don Quislot

·
Registered
23 Posts
I love the esses
, should be great fun, especially with non-mag.

Have you tried it without the flyover? The esses could continue down into the hair pin, and the flyover could connect onto the back straight with a kink to level it out, you could even bank the kink to keep the speed up.

Just a thought, but then you may loose the added scenery area of the flyover itself.

·
Brad Korando / Brad Korando
1,089 Posts
Nice looking track Don. It looks like it will be a lot of fun to drive. I agree that you should add borders to the curves at the hill. It will make for some fun racing and really challange the drivers. The large radius turn into the back straight should make for some fun power slides out of the turn and onto the straight. I have a similar arrangement on my track and it's fun to get the tail out and the tires spinning! Keep us posted as you progress.

Brad

·
Registered
600 Posts
Hi Pinch,

Could you please explain more clearly what you mean?:

QUOTE Have you tried it without the flyover? The esses could continue down into the hair pin, and the flyover could connect onto the back straight with a kink to level it out, you could even bank the kink to keep the speed up.

My knowledge of English is probably insufficient here. I think I need the flyover to allow a gradual ascent to a height high enough to justify the hairpins in the descent. I might elevate the beginning of the long straight as well to have a better view of the cars after the tunnel. I t will be a tunnel through the hill, probably, instead of a flyover. I suppose it is a bit difficult to sketch what you suggest, isn't it?

Greetings,

Don Quislot

@ Brad: Thank you. I'll keep you informed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Don

Please forgive my paint skills, but I think this should help you see what I was thinking.

It enables you to have another 'esse', and the descent can be where I have skillfully drawn the two straight(?!) lines. The corner at the top left could either be banked or stretched out a bit
e.g 22.5 degree corner - straight - 22.5 degree corner - straight etc..........

As i said before its just a thought, but I feel doing this would give it more of a mixture of fast and slow corners. You could even have the whole straightside of the left raised and the descent on the back straight, or have the entire descent in the one top left hand corner, but it depends on how much you want to play around with and what feels right. Also, with the flyover where it is, reaching that corner could be a right pain in the

Another part is that the 'esses' are now raced uphill as oppose to down.

Pinch

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Pinch, then the lovely esses will be on an uphill! and that simply cant do! It would work well if the track was reversed, but unless don cut the PB for remot use, it wouldn't work very well.

Matt

·
Registered
557 Posts
I like the layout - I am adding a downhill set of s's to my revised design.

A few things I discovered the hard way about SSD without magnets that might be relevant to your design.

I found the hard way that Lane Changers on inclines can be unreliable. Mine work perfect going up hills but not so good on declines.

Depending on the speed and whether or not there is a border (i.e. more sideways action) you need at least a 1/2 straight but preferably a full straight before any lane change sensor if your are not using magnets. This is especially so with Slot IT's that have the Slot IT SSD chip as the LED sit's much further back in tht chassis

Having a sharp turn not long after the start/finish straight might cause a few accidents

·
Registered
600 Posts
Waaah

This is hard stuff. This is a version without flyover as the flyover probably will give some problems reaching for cars as Pinch suggested. The track has become a bit shorter, but hey, it is about quality, not quantity, is it
. As for direction of driving, I have to test what suits me best. PB's are still connected to track, but I suppose I have to change this because I don't like the sight of two (master and slave) of those metallic grey spaceships in my landscape to be.

Anyway, I have taken the track off the table again to return the MDF plates to the shop and get some more flexible stuff and a sawing machine. Only yesterday I discovered that, to more easily make elevations whereby you can reach under the track to be able to fiddle with connections, you hace to cut and elevate the plywood pieces. Seems a better way to do it.

I was thinking about putting LC's in sparingly (very few?), but still don't know where to put them. Greg, this hairpin after S/F will call for some cautious driving. When direction of travel is reversed it would suit you better? Will have to try that as well.

Regards,

Don Quislot

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
if possible, and if not, make the top corner an R4, so you get as much speed as possible, and consider making alot of that section 3 - 4 lanes.

The wiggle on the bottom corner before the esses just kind of kills speed a bit early for my liking, but you may enjoy it.

Matt

·
Registered
600 Posts
Matt, this wiggle at the left side makes the design a bit less boringly rectangular to me. But maybe you won't notice this at all in the final real track, mmmh.

The upper left corner is R4. Do you mean the R2 corner at the right should be R4 for you as well?

Don Quislot

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Hello Don,

I like this better than your first set up, especially the pitlane. However, when you pit, it won't count that lap, unless you are able to use a 2nd PB or ask Rubenio to add an option to automaticly count an extra lap when pitting. In my case (1 PB) I would replace the PB to the back straight. BTW what software did you use ?

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.