SlotForum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,083 Posts
"the one's Fly used to do" being the operative phrase. Fly stopped making them in 2008, do you really think they would still be the same price? Apart from which, these new ones are longer and include debris fencing and loudspeakers so hardly a fair comparison.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
The Fly triple wall set came with a Pit Stand and was less than £20, that said, they're not making them anymore and when they do turn up on ebay they normally go for a bomb. I am tempted by these, they look great, just wish the price was more reasonable. Regards Jason

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
These are very well made, the quality is at least equal that of the Fly pit walls but these have more detail.

I think that SlotTrack Scenics are very reasonable with their discounts for multiple walls.

I can't wait to get my track re-laid so that I can incorporate mine and I hope they produce the timing stands sooner rather than later.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Hi Jason,

Not sure if I am meant to join in on this but no doubt the moderators will advise me if that is the case. I just wanted to say that the reason the prices are as they are is that the tooling cost for the Pit Wall base, railings and drain cover came to over £10,000. The tooling for the loudspeakers and fence stanchions was another £4500. Given that many of them will be sold through retailers like Pendle, Jadlam or LD Discounts with us giving them their margin that means that even at those prices we have to sell somewhere close to 2000 before we even get our money back. And as the market for these things is rather limited that represents a risk . . .
From the other side, as has been pointed out the Fly ones would me more expensive now and never did have catch fencing, loudspeakers, etc.

Finally, some retailers offer a 10% discount for web orders and we do a 10% 'club' discount for large orders so like that you could end up paying about £12 each if buying six.

David

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Hi David,
I don't mean to winge, as you've explained the price is reasonable, I do hope your investment brings profit. The product looks great, and the price is comparable to what the Fly Walls bring on ebay, I am after about a dozen, I guess I'll be a touch when I've saved enough pennies. Kindest Regards Jason

·
Registered
281 Posts
David, many thanks for the insight into the cost of the tooling, you don't realise how much these things cost, so clearly you need to sell a few to get your money back. I for one am glad that there are people like you who are prepared to invest in this type of product and take a risk. Saw the pit wall at Gaydon and it looks brilliant, sadly ran out of money by the time I got to your stand. Likely to be emailing my order once pay day comes round. Also the prototype pit wall engineers station looked great also. If future r&d funds allow would like ends for each end of the pit wall.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Thanks TR7

We have drafted some designs for Pit Wall ends and know how we would like them to be. We will look at them again after we have done the Timing Stands. The calculations there will be a bit different because we realise that we are only likely to sell one pair of ends to each person buying a Pit Lane. However, the tooling cost should be less. We might be prepared to take a bit of a loss on those for the sake of completing the project, provided the Pit Walls and Timing Stands could cover it.

David

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
For people to criticise the price is just unfair. I purchased 3 of the units at the recent Gaydon swapmeet and got them for more than a fair price of £37 (for three).

·
Prof I T
11,162 Posts
hi
price looks very competetive and you also get the slottrack scenics quality and service.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Hi Guys - had to chuck my tuppence worth in here!

I have been buying from STS for a long time now when the need arises. The quality is superb and the service is excellent.

Now service is free of charge, but quality is a quite different different matter!

I am a high street retailer (high-end contemporary furniture) and there is no mystery - quality costs - it's horses for courses!

I too saw these at Gaydon and was mightily impressed with them - I have a five section Fly pitwall - looks great - I'm sorted with mine - but if I wasn't, I would be saving up for these for sure and as has been pointed out no grille or speakers on the Fly stuff - I actually think these are better.

Don't forget either, that the Fly Pitwall figures/mechanics etc. would have set you back forty-odd quid for three figures when you could get them! Mind you, best quality I've ever seen!

I for one am also grateful that there are small businesses that are willing to invest in products associated with our hobby - long may they keep busy!

Just as an aside, I picked up two mint boxes of Fly pitwall sections at Gaydon for twenty quid! Now that was lucky! I've got six stands now!

Best Regards,

Chris

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
My tuppence worth,

If I hadn't already built my own pit wall and timing stands, I would have bought these.

I don't suppose there could be a price for Slotforum plus members - say if there was enough interest to bulk buy at a discount? All the money could then go straight to STS. Just a thought.

Cheers

·
Registered
281 Posts
QUOTE (Djessett @ 28 May 2012, 21:04) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>We have drafted some designs for Pit Wall ends and know how we would like them to be.

David

Good to know that there will be pit lane ends at some point in the future if everybody keeps buying the pit walls.

Agree with other comments you pay for what you get, if only I had not bought the 60's control centre, I could have bought the pit wall.

David, will you be at Orpington slot meet later in the year.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Don't seem to be able to find a date for Orpington at present. If it is in August, September or October probably Yes. Otherwise unlikely but we are aiming to get to Stansted on 14 October. However, as the Pit Walls are made of plastic they are quite light and so quite reasonable to send by post.

David

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Got me some Wall!!!

Fly to the foreground, STS background, both of a similar high quality, where STS score's over Fly, apart from the obvious,. availability, is in the extras, the fencing and loudspeakers are just great. Regards Jason

1 - 19 of 19 Posts