SlotForum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
So many great photos! So many questions...

Where did you get/how did you make:
1: green large waste bins with the black curvy lids
2: green generator thing
3: those 'this way up' crates
4: fire extinguisher on wall
5: fire hydrant
6: step ladders
7: steel moveable tubeular bariers
8: tyre racks
9: michelin man
10: grey high-voltage cabin

cheers

Dave!

·
Fast Co.
1,240 Posts
QUOTE (astro @ 3 Dec 2004, 20:31)So many great photos! So many questions...

Where did you get/how did you make:
1: green large waste bins with the black curvy lids
2: green generator thing
3: those 'this way up' crates
4: fire extinguisher on wall
5: fire hydrant
6: step ladders
7: steel moveable tubeular bariers
8: tyre racks
9: michelin man
10: grey high-voltage cabin

cheers

Dave!
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Astro,
I found the waste bins at website www.3000toys.com. About $6 each and another $6 in shipping. (I bought three to reduce the overall cost per unit). They're made by a company called "First Gear" and are 1/34 scale - a little small but I think they fit the part. They'll look even better filled with trash. First Gear makes very fine detailed 1/34 scale trucks of all sorts - some of the nicest detailed trucks I've ever seen.

The green generator, step ladders, corrugated steel panels and grey high-voltage cabin came from a toyset called "City Maintenance Playset" (or something to that effect) manufactured by a company called Boley. They were purchased at a local store called "Big Lots", probably similar to your Poundland. In addition to the already mentioned it also came with a portable generator set, light posts, telephone poles, fence sections, four 1/32 scale maintenance worker figures (two of which you can see in the tech inspection station) and 3 small plastic trucks that I disassembled for their nicely treaded vinyl tires each about the size of the front tire on an MRRC Chaparral. Twenty-two tires in all! And all at a cost of less than $10 US it was an absolute steal! I bought the only two sets they had. If you can't find one I may be able to get another. Let me know.

The three fire extinguishers and a fire hydrant came from a $5 plastic toy set manufactured by New Ray. (it also came with a plastic 1/32 scale fire truck and 3 or four 1/32 scale firemen figures - but I gave those to my nephew). The small parts were molded in red plastic and I painted them gloss red and gave the extinguishers a little detailing with silver and flat black. They may be a little large, but I think the effect works well. The signs above the extinguishers I got from clip art and scaled to size in Adobe Illustrator.

I also bought another New Ray set (also $5) that came with a 1/32 scale ambulance with opening rear doors, two medical figures carrying a gurney complete with injured patient (a spectator) and a NY city police car. Those pieces are on my circuit but I haven't photographed them yet.

The Michelin Man I found on eBay. Do a search for "Bibbendum". He measures about 4" tall. Cost me about $8 US and another $7 for shipping. Bought it from a guy in France - probably a Michelin employee as he had plenty for sale in various poses. In one pose Bibbendum waves a checkered flag but I thought the figure casually leaning on the tire would work well in front of the tire station.

The tire racks were scratchbuilt from balsa and painted with gloss enamels. The tires on the racks and stacked out in front of the garages came from the trucks in the Boley City Maintenance set mentioned above.

The "this way up" crates and wooden pallets were made from balsa. The labels are clip art scaled to size in Adobe Illustrator and printed on my cheap freebie ink jet printer. The labels may be a little oversized, but any smaller and they'd be illegible. Someday I'll invest in a better printer.

Now I just need to find some REASONABLY PRICED figures to give life to the layout.

Hope this helps.

Steve

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Steve,

One of the FINEST modern pit areas and tower I've seen. I'd swear you and TDI have been working together!

VERY, nice work!

BTW, wicked, wicked 5.0!

·
Fast Co.
1,240 Posts
QUOTE (dreinecke @ 4 Dec 2004, 01:14)Steve,

One of the FINEST modern pit areas and tower I've seen. I'd swear you and TDI have been working together!

VERY, nice work!

BTW, wicked, wicked 5.0!
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the compliments Dave. Actually I have gotten some really great ideas from tDI (Thanks Gunther!).

You've got some awesome Trans Am cars and one awesome track yourself. Enjoyed your website. We've got a similar background. I also came from Aurora HO Model Motoring and still have my first two set cars - a Ford GT40 and a Chaparral 2F and several other cars from my childhood including my personal favorite - a green Chevy Nomad with gold stripes.

That's one awesome Chevelle you've got there too!

Steve

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Sacesta:

This is really... really... really looking good! I love all those great details! That is how a track really comes to life!

Please keep the pictures coming!!! I cant wait to see the pictures when you start your greenery!!!

If I ever get to the states... I want to have a look at that magnificent track!

Cheers

Gunther

·
Fast Co.
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (tDI_Fahrer @ 4 Dec 2004, 07:09)Sacesta:

This is really... really... really looking good! I love all those great details! That is how a track really comes to life!

Please keep the pictures coming!!! I cant wait to see the pictures when you start your greenery!!!

If I ever get to the states... I want to have a look at that magnificent track!

Cheers

Gunther
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You've got an open invitation Gunther. I'd be glad to have some guests to the track. Although Winston-Salem is not exactly a tourist destination.

A couple of weeks ago I pulled a dead azalea and a dead boxwood from the small garden in front of my house. They sat at the curbside for two weeks and only after they were finally carted away did I even think of the potential for scale trees for my layout. Funny how I often seem to think of things after it's too late. So I went around the garden to see if maybe there were some broken off branches and I found enough for about 12 -18 trees. I need to extend the table top about 13" at the end of the long straight, then I plan on beginning the landscaping. I'm doing things kind of backwards but that's because I've been undecided on whether to re-arrange the other end of the track with a crossover or maybe just elevate it slightly.

The elevation on your track looks awesome and I think it adds a lot to the scale realism. I can't think of any tracks that are totally flat except maybe for Sebring here in the states.

Thanks for the comments!

Regards,
Steve

·
Fast Co.
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guys,
I just did a search on "Boley" on Google and found the company's website. http://www.boleycorp.com/products.html
Check out the link called "Speed Racing Playset". The City Maintenance Playset had a wealth of tidbits in it to decorate my layout. If these Racing Playsets are the same scale well...
I'm gonna see if I can find a retailer of this stuff and place an order.

Steve

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Thanks for all the detailed source info Steve, I shall be looking out for stuff in the shops and net for similar

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Thanks for the tips steve!

Will look for something like this too!

Do you guys have thing as me? If you walk around in a shop, and you see somthing, do you allways think "how can I use that item on my hometrack"?

Cheers

Gunther

·
Fast Co.
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE (tDI_Fahrer @ 4 Dec 2004, 12:55)Thanks for the tips steve!

Will look for something like this too!

Do you guys have thing as me? If you walk around in a shop, and you see somthing, do you allways think "how can I use that item on my hometrack"?

Cheers

Gunther
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh yeah. It's hard for me to look at anything in the stores without thinking how I could use it on my layout.

Steve

·
Rob
3,430 Posts
Wonderful work, Steve
. Gives the rest of us something to aspire to (copy!!)

QUOTE One of the FINEST modern pit areas and tower I've seen. I'd swear you and TDI have been working together!

Totally agree. You and Gunther ought to go into business together!! (with appropriate discounts for SF members of course!!)

It would be great if someone discovers a UK stockist for some of this stuff, you've really added an extra dimension with your accessories.
Keep the pics coming!!

Rob

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Totally agree. You and Gunther ought to go into business together!! (with appropriate discounts for SF members of course!!)

[/quote]

What do you think steve? Sounds good to me... except for the discounts of course!

Cheers

Gunther

PS: If we only could do a big road-trip... visiting eachothers home-layouts...
Not only drool over the pics of the tracks... but actually drive them!

·
Fast Co.
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sure I'm game. I've got to do something to earn enough to support my slot car addiction.
Steve

·
Registered
545 Posts
Steve,

Fantastic layout. In one of the pictures you asked what to do with the layout. I would opt for elevation changes as opposed to crossovers. I like the degree of realism and it adds an extra element in driving. Having said that, I have a crossover in my layout but that's mainly due to the request of my 9 year old son. He thinks it's "cool".

·
Fast Co.
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
QUOTE (jhardy33 @ 7 Dec 2004, 12:42)Steve,

Fantastic layout. In one of the pictures you asked what to do with the layout. I would opt for elevation changes as opposed to crossovers. I like the degree of realism and it adds an extra element in driving. Having said that, I have a crossover in my layout but that's mainly due to the request of my 9 year old son. He thinks it's "cool".
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Jay,
I kind of like the idea of crossovers as it evens things out, especially on a 4-lane circuit (there are 6 R1 turns on that inside lane and none on the outside), but I'm not particularly keen on the idea of building a bridge, especially on an area of the track where there are a lot of turns.

My original idea was to run a long straight diagonally across the room that descended below the table surface, but the benchwork would have had to been elaborate. I suppose I could have raised the surface of most of the track to accomplish the same thing, but that would also have been more work than I wanted to do. So in a haste I built what you see in my gallery photos.

It's a fast track, and I like it, but I think I'm going to go with your suggestion and elevate the dogleg portion of the track, maybe only an inch or two, but something to keep it from looking so flat.

Regards,
Steve

1 - 18 of 18 Posts