SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been in slot cars for years and have been working on my slot car track for years adding and changing scenery it’s just a great hobby. I start back in hobby about 2005 with a ninco slot car set and just kept adding more track I set the track up in the garage at first then later in a 10’x 16’ shed were it is now. In the past year I decided to switch to polycar track the harder plastic track seems to be smoother with less bumps. I sanded and painted the track also put small elevations in the track so that it wasn’t just flat witch made it fun to run the slot cars on one of the turns has a negative camber making the turn a bit tricky but fun.
Cloud Vehicle Train Rolling stock Infrastructure

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
Sanded it? To remove that weird patterned look it has in all the photos I've ever seen? And that puts me off the stuff.

That's some careful sanding to avoid the rails, no?🤔

Reactions: longdog

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
looking good. I like that you have painted it.
thanks I used an exterior latex paint in a medium gray.
Sanded it? To remove that weird patterned look it has in all the photos I've ever seen? And that puts me off the stuff.

[/QUOTE

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Yes I sanded the track with 60 grit sand paper and was careful not to sand the rails, then I used 180 grit to finish it off.
Tire Race track Asphalt Vehicle Automotive design
Tire Cloud Motor vehicle Building Vehicle

This is a picture of the device I used to sand the track it has a foam pad underneath and work very well in sanding the track you can still see a pattern but not as obvious as it was before sanding and painting. Also you can see I used the XLR plugs on my controller station with professor motor 35 ohm controllers

·
ParrotGod
10,894 Posts
I thought that the paint had smoother the pattern, i would have never thought about sanding it.
Do you have close pics of before and after sanding?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Bob ! Bob also has a nice 4 lane carrera track had some great races on his track. I have 1 picture of the track before and after it was sanded and painted hope you can see the difference in the track surface.
Grille Hood Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The track still has some texture to it but it is much smoother if you run your fingers over both tracks you can really tell the difference. I think it made the track look much better, when I saw the surface of the policar track I knew that it would need to be sanded and painted, I‘m like you I would rather have a smooth track. Thanks for your comments Gary.

·
ParrotGod
10,894 Posts
I like the final result. How much work do you reckon is required to sand down a piece? It is a 5 min job or more involved?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I never really timed myself the straight track is the easiest and took maybe 5 minutes but remember I was using 60 grit sand paper and it didn’t take long you must be careful that you don’t over do it. I would sand a bit then stop and check the surface of the track when it was were I wanted I would stop brush off the dust and wash it off with water with a small amount of dish soap in it, Then I would sand it lightly with 180 grit sand paper. I was doing 15 to 20 track sections at a time in a few days I had most of the track sanded and ready for paint. I then washed the track with 90% rubbing alcohol to clean any oils that may be on the surface I taped the rails and started painting 15 to 20 track sections let them dry over night check the track the next morning the track surface would feel gritty and I would use a scouring pad to lightly wipe it down until it felt smooth then on to the second coat of paint, In all I think it took me about 2 weeks to finish it’s a lot of work but worth it when you see the finished product.

·
ParrotGod
10,894 Posts
Thanks for explaining the process. If I had Policar track I would seriously consider this.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How did you connect the power supply cables to the rails?
How did you connect the power supply cables to the rails?
I stripped the insulation back about 3” and folded the bare wire over once or twice then push it into the rail openings under the track it should be a tight fit then duct taped the wire in place.

·
Vendor
3,081 Posts
In my opinion, that's how the Policar track should have been made at the factory with a smoother surface and gray in color. Nice job!
We thought about grey, but then what shade? Knowing how things work at the factories sometimes, the (very real) risk would have been to end up with "50 shades of grey" on a slot car track...
Black is always black and we know what we will get, production run after production run.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I will post a few more pictures and as you can tell I like making a scenic track, I used 3/4” foam glued together to make the landscape creating rocks and hills. I also painted lots of figures to put in the grandstands and around the landscape to make it look lively and popular with track fans.
Cloud Sky Infrastructure Fence Race track
Cloud Plant Daytime Sky Motor vehicle
Cloud Sky Plant Daytime Botany
Cloud Plant Sky Tree Road surface
Plant Daytime Infrastructure Botany Sky

1 - 20 of 57 Posts