SlotForum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Anthony Bartlett
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great new kits have now arrived ......

Looking forward to getting these 2 kits!!

refer to their site Proto Slot

·
Premium Member
5,147 Posts
For the American customers, these two kits should be in stock this week at Electric Dreams and we will ship the pre-orders immediately when received.
Regards,

Doc Pea

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Yes, they are nice kits and were first pictured on SlotForum back in September.

I can't quite make out which race version of the Penke Lola has been modelled. In the 1966 Can-Am series Mark Donohue drove the Lola T70 Mk.2 Chevrolet - chassis # SL71/35 - with the #6 at Bridgehampton (5th), Mosport (1st) and Las Vegas (3rd), but I can't find a picture of the car with the scoops on the lower sides, which the kit has. It certainly had a mirror, which is missing from the Proto Slot Kit model!

Does anyone know?

Kind regards

Russell

·
Registered
290 Posts
mr max,

you can choose, prepainted or not. the kit contains a body, windows interior drivers, mirrors, and some other small stuff. also contains some 4 hubs and inlays for them and decals(that's for the alfa romeo) I think it's alsdo possible to order directly by proto slot kit. more info on their website http://www.proto-slot-kit.com

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Russell

The Mosport winning Donohue car did have the scoops you refer to, you can see them both side of the car in these pictures - well you could before I resized them....
You can see however that the front spoiler was quite different on this car. I am not a rivet counter but I think that with a body kit to enable a specific car to be built it would be reasonable to expect this to be correct.

David

·
Gregory Petrolati
1,022 Posts
There's a more subtle issue here... The prepainted car seems to be painted the wrong blue. Looking at the pix it appears almost bright enough to be a French Blue. The Penske Blue is a bit darker.

It might just be the light.

Here's a shot of my Grand Sport Roadster which is painted the "proper" Penske (Sunoco) Blue

I'll Just have to get the unpainted car and do it myself...

Greenman62

·
Peter Farrell
2,114 Posts
Greenman.
A question. Did you have to mix the colour to achieve the correct shade or is it a proprietary shade?
Alfetta

·
Anthony Bartlett
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
car is available at MRE - and I am sure the other will have it in the next few days....

·
Gregory Petrolati
1,022 Posts
QUOTE (alfetta @ 26 Oct 2004, 12:37)Greenman.
A question. Did you have to mix the colour to achieve the correct shade or is it a proprietary shade?
Alfetta
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's not a home mixed color. Here's where it's available. Don't try to email the guy I tried to get some questions answered. He doesn't follow up at all. That being said he is very prompt on orders.

http://ourworld.cs.com/mcwautofinishes/paint/racelist.html

They hav a LOT of different colors available.

The Penske Blue comes as a laquer... I would also recommend getting their filler putty and primer too.

You will need an airbrush to spray laquer.

Laquer sprays on in thinner coats than enamel does (about 6> light coats) Laquer dries fairly quickly. Laquer dries harder than enamel and needs to be color sanded and polished to get the best results.

OBTW, Remember you can put enamel on laquer... you can't put laquer on enamel.

Once my Vette was decalled I used Tamiya clear to coat the car

Greenman62

·
Premium Member
5,147 Posts
Precisions:

1/ the Sunoco-Lola was not unique, there were a total of 3 chassis. They evolved over a period of 2 years, two of them running USRRC races while one was specifically used in Can-Am.
The color used also changed, from a lighter blue to a darker shade with metallic tinge, the darkest used on the famous T70 MKIIIB coupe used to win the Daytona race and ending its racing life at Sebring.

So before everyone gets too excited, check your old books, films etc. The Proto Slot Kit car is actually pretty close to the real thing, and I will let you discover from which race exactly all by yourselves, Sherlocks.
Regards,

Doc Pea
AKA Inspecteur Clouseau Without Moths In My Closet

·
Registered
64 Posts
Russell,

The Penske Lola in question looks to me to be the one raced just after the 1966 Can Am in the spring series called the USRRC. I saw the car at Riverside that year and and the scoops look familiar. I believe that they were for the rear brakes which had been a problem that year. The next year the car used in the Can Am was a T70 MKIII which was a bit different. I seem to remember it running without the scoops.

Though that was almost 40 years ago, I think that's right.

Jim

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
I found this picture taken at Laguna Seca in 1966, showing the Penke Lola with the side-scoops:-

Here's a picture taken at the 2003 Mark Donohue Reunion, showing some of the cars that he drove during his career:-

The two cars in the front are Donohue's first racing car, the Elva Courier and one of the last, the Penske PC1 F1. The cars behind are from left to right - the 1970 Lola T153 (Donohue won the 1972 Indianapolis 500 with a McLaren M16B), 1968 Camaro and the 1967 Can Am Lola T70 Mk III.

In the next row is the Matador which he drove to his only NASCAR race win, the Ford GT Mk IV that he shared with Bruce McLaren to finish 4th in the 1967 Le Mans 24 Hours and the 1969 Can Am Lola.

The next row has the 1969 Camaro, beside the Javelin raced in the 1970 Trans Am series and the Javelin with which he won the 1971 series. Next to it is the Camaro he drove in 1967 and 1968.

In the back row is the Lola T70 Mk II he drove in the 1966 Can Am series, the Mustang GT350 raced in SCCA events, the Porsche Carrera with which he won the 73-74 IROC Championship and the Lola T70 Mk IIIBGT that won the 1969 Daytona 24-Hour with Chuck Parsons co-driving.

Kind regards,

Russell

1 - 14 of 14 Posts