SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reprotec, well known for their "repro" Scalextric cars, will be making 'competition' cars, their first being the Nissan R390 GT1.

The car uses Reprotec's "Speedlight" components and will apparently be a serious competitor for the Slot.it Audi and Porsche 956/962 and Fly "Racing" cars.

Kind regards

Russell

·
Registered
197 Posts
Well, maybe doesn't look a perfect scale model, but as announced by Reprotec, this is a "ready to race" car, much like Slot.It and Fly Racing cars.

Last pre-tests done show best times than top cars at the races. We're waiting very excited this car.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Just spoken to my boss, (ex nissan employee). He says the picture shows that it is not in proportion... the spoiler is not quite right - it doesn't make aerodynamic sense!?

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
QUOTE (goldfish_samurai @ 7 May 2004, 13:31)He says the picture shows that it is not in proportion...
Like I said...

And Ok... of i drives as well as a Slot.it... It must be fun to race...

But what I don't understand is... when you start moddeling a car... Why don't they do it right... in stead of making it like this? It's all about dimensions and proportions... If they measure the car... why can't they do it exact while they're at it?

G.

·
Registered
752 Posts
QUOTE If they measure the car... why can't they do it exact while they're at it?

It's largely down to the age old problem of squeezing a commercially available/viable performance motor into a 'scale' bodyshell. Another area is wheel arch clearance, most top running GT cars will be running 1:1 scale with 5-10mm clearance between the arch and the tyres. Divide that amount by 32, and the answer is a very small number, impossible to replicate commercially on a series production basis in 1/32 scale.

So... ALL model making is a compromise, it's whether you like the results that matters in the end.

Regards,

-Rob

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Ok that's true...

But check the wheel arch clearance from the back wheel... Multiplie this with 32 and you have mastodontic number!!!

Check the tire aroud the front wheel... looks like ****

And look at the nose and spoiler... common... be honest...

Why can Fly and so many others do it so much better?
If the global proportions look normal... little failiures come out less!!!

G.

·
Alan Tadd
4,030 Posts
Graham

I agree with you, I thought I got misdirected to the Slot.it website!...the components do look very similar.....Anybody got an idea on pricing? and is there a UK Retailer for these products?.

Regards

Alan

·
Premium Member
5,397 Posts
QUOTE We're waiting very excited this car.

You and me both!

I'm thinking this is a pre-production model.

I'm thinking this will look mighty pretty in any or all of the race liveries.

I'm thinking I need one or more of said liveries.

[Edit]
Where did you get the photo, Russ?

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What bothers me is that Team Slot have already made the R390 and that Slot.it has announced that they will be making one as well. Can't anyone make the Le Mans or IMSA Toyota's?

I have heard that the Reprotec prototype car has been burying the Slot.it Audi and Porsche 956s in testing, as well as the Fly Racing Lola, no problemo.

I don't think that the proportions of the Reprotec Nissan are that far off:

Kind regards

Russell

·
Premium Member
5,397 Posts
Ooh. Ahhh. That one will do for starters.

Nothing mentioned on their website about this one.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Unfortunately, once the wheel to wheel arch clearance has been mentioned, followed by those gorgeous pics, its VERY hard to 'unsee' the massive gaps again!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I hope the quality is better than their Abarths, Cobras and 600's . All three of those had serious quality controll problems and need big time work to run right out of the box. My dough will wait for the Slot-it version. I wasted some money and time on the Team-Slot version. I wouldnt recomend that car to anyone.

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have it on good authority that there is absolutely no tie-up whatsoever between Reprotec and Slot.it, other than the fact that Reprotec appear to have blatantly copied Slot.it's superb product range.

Slot.it announced the release of the Nissan R390 some months ago. I know for a fact that Slot.it has a licence from Nissan to produce the R390, which will debut in a race next Monday. I wonder if Reprotec has a licence?

With kind regards

Russell

·
Premium Member
5,397 Posts
I stand corrected (thanks Slotcity!) if you click on the Speed Light animation in the centre of the Reprotec site then you can find the beasts.

Though not Russell's sneak snap.

[Aside]
Good to see that it is completely possible to bring release news to the board (just as Thomas also does) without drama and exaggeration.

Shame we have another launch in a black "test" livery. Almost as dull as the vanilla street versions. I wonder if they will brush over the fact that the test car appears to have had a different rear wing - my money says, yes, they'll ignore that detail.

Never mind the size of the wheels, I hope the tyres fit the hubs better than that front one!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts