SlotForum banner

New Resin Bodies

12K views 37 replies 27 participants last post by  13davek 
Personally, I'd prefer white polystyrene bodies over resin. They can be made to look as good, if not better, and being vacuum-formed are cheaper to make.

Polystyrene also sands and sprays / paints nicely (its a similar but more flexible and resilient material than used for injection-moulded plastic glue together kits) and is of course much lighter than resin. They can also be produced in various thicknesses and 'under-cuts', as with vacuum-forming PETG, are not a problem.

For those who prefer using screws to mount bodies, body-mounting posts can easily be glued into the shells.

Ask Victor Ferguson to make the moulds for you, Sean!

Kind regards

Russell

PS: 1970s Le Mans, Can-Am and F1 / F5000 / Indy bodies, please.

"With all due respect, Russell and Victor, those flat-sided cars look great in vacformed styrene, and I love 'em for all the reasons you state, but faced with something like a Ford 3L or a 50s sports car with lots of roll-under, a resin cast is surely the best solution. Seriously- how close could you get to a F3L in vacform? Or my current lust-object, an Aston DB3S- or a Testa Rossa with those undercut front wings? A challenge even for Victor, I'll bet!"

Here are a couple of styrene bodies that were moulded by my friend Derick Thesnaar. I don't think that styrene is limited any more than resin in terms of capturing the shape of the bodies:-

"Your opinions are all welcome, i understand the virtues of plasticard but ideally i would like to keep to the subject of resin bodies as ultimately your opinions will have a bearing on future releases, so come on Russell lets hear what you have to say about resin bodies."

Unless the bodies are up to the quality of those produced by the likes of Top Slot, Slot Classic and LMM, they usually require a lot of finishing, which the average slot racer is probably not prepared to do.

Kind regards

Russell

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.