SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bought the Radius 3 banked curves at £11.99.

I am dissapointed to see that for my money I got 2 flat R3 curve sections and a bunch of supports to create two different elevations. One has the inner radius at ground level, the other raises the inner radius about 1 inch off the ground.
The supports fit into the round recesses that already exist on every piece of Scaley track.

I expected the track to be already moulded to the 10 degree shape thus doing away with the need for supports (the pre-release pics certainly looked that way).

So, after using the required number of supports to create the banking with the two flat track sections I have used the rest on my standard R3 curves and got exactly the same effect.

I am afraid that I think Scaleys marketing is a bit misleading and also, I have to say the same about some of our dealers who were proclaiming "at last banked curving is here" when in reality "supports to create marginally sturdier banked curving are here"
Oh, and the new supports are just as bad as any other for falling over when you are trying to set the track up.

I accept that it is my own fault for not doing a bit more research before buying and I also notice that the supports alone now have a Q3 release date (some consolation).
So, sorry Scaley, but I think you have a mis-leading sales pitch on your banked curving.

·
Premium Member
5,685 Posts
I, too, thought someone somewhere was having a laugh with this one when I saw the "banked" curve at MK a few weeks prior.

Still, do they do the job? Does a bike now lean and do corners?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I would disagree. If you look closely at the edge of the track you will note that the vertical track edge is at a slight angle to accomodate the 10 degree angle and permit 4 lane banking. This also permits barriers to sit vertically when otherwise they would lean in. The footprint is also slightly different to the "flat" track when you make a close comparison and the banked track is very marginally wider. The differences are hardly noticable because of the 10 degree angle but they are there.

From a performance point of view it has to be said that considering the shallow bank they do work and you effectively get radius 3 curved speed on a radius 2 banked curve and radius 4 curved speed on a radius 3 banked track (or so it seems).

Moped

·
Registered
107 Posts
I currently use some home made wooden supports to bank tracks. I was waiting to see what the scalextric supports were like. I'd probably get away with using flat curves, with supports, as I only have a 2 lane track at home.

Tempted to try a motogp bike on the 'wall of death' banked curves I have

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
I have to say I was expecting flat curves and supports that simply lifted the track but if they are not stable that is a shame.

What are they like when installed and being run on?

Will be interesting to see how they price the supports on their own and then compare buying the supports and the track seperately to the banked boxes.
I suggest that they didn't bank the turns deliberately because of production costs and the fact that the older ones meant so many cars would not run on them.
However raising a curve is not the same as banking it and I have not, since first reading about them, thought they would actually do the job they were proclaimed for. Maybe they really are just to help the bikes abit.

·
Registered
107 Posts
What effect do the supports have on the straights entering and exiting the curves? I'd assume that they will be slightly twisted, due to the top of the curve being raised more than the bottom.

Raising the outside edge of the curve should increase the maximum speed that you can take the curve in the same way as a 'proper' banked curve would do. You are still shifting forces to help keep the car on the bend.

·
Slot City
331 Posts
The banked curves are not just standard curves with some banking supports. The banked curves use new tooling, which can be confirmed by checking the identification markings which are on the underside of all track sections. Whilst the differences might be difficult to spot, they are there.

To brand the banked curves as a rip off, and not value for money, is also incorrect.

With the radius 2 banked curves you are paying only £1 extra for the supports.

With the radius 3 banked curves you are saving £3 and getting the supports for free, as the same curves without banking would cost you £16

The supports cost £3 on their own.

Jon,
Slot City.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Jon has made a good point that has been overlooked.

It takes 8 Nr radius 3 standard curves to create a 180 degree bend but only 4 Nr radius 3 banked curves. So you save £££'s therefore the radius 3 banked curves actually represent something of a bargain for somebody contemplating larger radius bends!

Moped

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I also want to add that the radius 3 banked curves make MotoGp bikes joyous to drive.

You will discover if you use the supports on their own with "flat" track that it is very difficult to achieve a smooth transition where the track joins. There will be a bump at each joint where the natural tendency of the "flat" track is to want to sit "flat" and therefore the track mates at the joint at an imperfect angle. This is not an issue with the banked track where the track has a natural tendency to want to "bank" and the track mating is at the correct angle.

It is possible to use the bank supports with standard track however, if you are prepared to accept that the track will be uneven in these circumstances. For those racing MotoGP I would not recommend this combination of supports with standard track as the smooth even cornering offered by the banked track provide cornering which is predictable and consistent.

Moped

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry Jon but for someone who already has R2 and R3 curves and is expecting to be able to replace them with these banked curve sets will be dissapointed.

Who on earth doesnt already have R2 curves ?....they are standard in every set so they only need to spend £3.00 on the new supports.

The new curves do have a different footprint as Moped says, but not enough to make any noticeable difference to a two lane layout.

The supports still locate using the round recesses that appear in every piece of track so the task of locating and fitting the new supports is no different or (arguably) any better than any previous support methods.
The new tooling might have been better spent on a true moulded banked curve.

I just dont think these sets are particularly well described.

Reading Mopeds last post perhaps they should show Moto GP bikes on the box instead of Indy cars.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
On a perfectly flat surface if you attempt to use the banked curves as normal curves you will have curves that have a waviness. If you use track borders rather than barriers then there are also issues as you really are not able to use borders as the track edge angles are all wrong when laid flat. But it would be possible if you want to save money by purchasing radius 3 banked curves and using them flat and without borders, but with barriers leaning at a 10 degree angle!

Lets be realistic about this.

Ultimately it is very much down to what you are happy to put up with and how flat you want your circuit to be relative to any cost savings made by going the whole hog and having the full banking works and doing it properly. Long term its probably best to do it properly.

Moped

·
Slot City
331 Posts
QUOTE Sorry Jon but for someone who already has R2 and R3 curves and is expecting to be able to replace them with these banked curve sets will be dissapointed.

Who on earth doesnt already have R2 curves ?....they are standard in every set so they only need to spend £3.00 on the new supports.

I appreciate your points and for people looking to replace existing curves the seperate supports might be a better way to go. The point is that the supports are available seperately so you have the option.

I wouldn't agree that everyone already has plenty of radius 2 curves though - after standard straights they are our best selling track section. For these people, the banked curves is the best option if they want banking.

The banked curves look like they will be popular as we've sold a fair few already, and I imagine a lot more will be sold with Christmas coming up.

Perhaps you should contact the shop where you bought them if you're not happy to see if you can get a refund. I'd be more than happy to give any of our customers a refund if they were unhappy with these, or any other product.

Jon,
Slot City.

·
Nobby Berkshire
2,015 Posts
Just use ordinary track and shove a thin book under the outer edge, or use the current cylinder bridge supports.

I think it's good that Scalex offer the variety, but it ain't much at the end of the day for what they cost.

·
Premium Member
5,685 Posts
QUOTE For those racing MotoGP I would not recommend this combination of supports with standard track as the smooth even cornering offered by the banked track provide cornering which is predictable and consistent.

Spoken like a true shareholder!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
QUOTE For those racing MotoGP I would not recommend this combination of supports with standard track as the smooth even cornering offered by the banked track provide cornering which is predictable and consistent.

Basically Wankel the proof is in the pudding. Those who have the experiance with MotoGP and banked curves or "suedo" banking will acknowledge that the comment is accurate. It is very difficult to create smooth banking with standard curves no matter how hard you try.

And as a bonus the MotoGP bikes do appear to lean in on the banked curves!

Moped

1 - 20 of 37 Posts