SlotForum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think about the new Scalextric guide which is found in new Renault F1 and TWR Tuscan cars?

I have noticed that it is more kids stuff than serious racing
I really hope that scalextric will make a new "old" style guide where leads go directly to braids like Ninco does. Scalextric could then sell this new guide as a "Hop-Up" part

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I agree with Turismo.
Seen plenty of laps covered at the Phoenix Circuit and if anything this new guide seems more robust and doesnt fall out after a big off! seems a very smooth action and performs very well on tight curves.

·
Registered
263 Posts
QUOTE (jonny s @ 7 Jan 2004, 06:42 PM)I agree with Turismo.
Seen plenty of laps covered at the Phoenix Circuit and if anything this new guide seems more robust and doesnt fall out after a big off! seems a very smooth action and performs very well on tight curves.
Yeah good point there Jonny. Last thursday night for no 'real' reason the guide in my mates Gt40 kept popping out as he was cutting laps. Most annoying.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Nitemare!! You gotta feel sorry for the guy when this happens but worse is watching the panic on the face of the marshal who has to sort it out! Never happens quick enough and the poor guy spends all night saying "sory mate" as the rest of the foeld go by, smug grins on their faces. What a nice bunch we are!

·
Registered
714 Posts
Everything I have read suggests that the new guide has a 1mm shallower blade than previous versions.
If this is so, it certainly is not a step in the right direction, most especially not after Scalextric have introduced the deeper grooved Sport track. In fact, it sounds completely and utterly illogical.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I`ve seen plenty of examples of this model going well around the Phoenix track. It is Ninco track though and we have lossened the chassis and the car stays on perfectly well. My only negative point, which I passed to Adrian, is that the car is too slow. We need a more powerful motor nowadays , fitted as standard as the magnet or magnets fitted are stronger and the poor old motor has a tough job nowadays. Without a magnet the car was disapointing and does not compete in it`s standard forma aginst cars such as the Slot It Audi or Pro Slot Toyota.

·
Registered
752 Posts
New Scalex guide? A qualified thumbs
from me....

I'll explain
Elsewhere on the forum Ole asked if there were any comparisons between the Toyota (blue guide) and the Renault (New guide). Being a generous sort, I did some

To briefly recap the prior review, the Renault is .5 sec quicker round our 107ft sport circuit than the Toyota. The circuit is quite technical in places and you need to carry quite some speed through those sections to get a good laptime in. The limited travel on the blue guide meant that the Toyota would 'pop out' at the front, or understeer, if you will, whereas the the new guide has nearly 180 degrees of travel, allowing you to recover from some quite spectacular tailslides and live to lap another day....

Following on from jonny s' post above the only/most disappointing aspect of the TVR is its' speed - or lack thereof.... Investigations are continuing
The guide seems to be doing its' job fine tho'

Regards,

-Rob

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Nice one Rob. Let us know how you get on mate. So far I`ve only removed the front mag on the Sport version and this of course made a little difference but not enough. Well it wouldn`t be would it! Haven`t tried a different motor because of time limitations but also believe it should be fitted with a motor that does the job.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Not starting nuthin' here
but....

The following interesting laps to offs ratio arose during the aforementioned comparison test:

Renault 1 off every 14.0 laps
Toyota 1 off every 2.5 laps

I know which odds I like the look of in a ten lap crash and burn race.....

-Rob

·
Registered
752 Posts
Both cars were stock.

The issues with trimming the blue guide, you go from not much travel, to not much more, and the springs that the guide rests on get caught up in the braid from the overtravel, and if you overdo it altogether the guide spring/conductor doesn't touch the braid at full travel - and then you don't go anywhere.... quickly!

-Rob

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Just to clear up a little grey area with regard to useable blade height of the two guides, because I also have seen photos that made it look as though the TVR blade did not penetrate as deeply as a standard one.

I just checked my Toyota and Renault F1s and came up with the following blade height measurements.

Toyota 5.3mm - old guide
Renault 5.5mm - new guide

Take off 1.0mm for two thicknesses of flattened braid on the underside of the 'T' pieceand we get USEABLE slot penetrations of
Toyota 4.3mm
Renault 4.5mm

I don't warrant my measurements to 0.1mm , but we may as well say that the two blades are near as dammit the same. So that's that cleared up!
However, the pics I have seen DID show different penetrations into the slot. So the reason was not the blade itself, but MUST have been some combination of front wheel (or braid) setup, or the guide being mounted in its hole differently. Also there is the possibility of the track rail height varying, differing play in the axle mounts and maybe other possibilities but, on these measurements, we can now be sure that the blade itself is not the culprit.

Out on the track, it's hard to make definite comparisons, as it is a very rare driver indeed who can reproduce every lap identically like a robot - his consistency is always going to be subject to variation. Also it may well be that different drivers have different approaches to cornering, where some will manage with next to no yaw and others will revel in massive slides on the limit! I can manage either but my downfall is that I can't actually control which it will be on any given day or any given corner for that matter!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts