SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new club car for '04 will be a Dellara indianapolis car in Scalextric livery. I was hoping it would be the new TVR 400R

This car differs from previous racer cars as all the others have been Le Mans type cars.

Hopefully, the price will go down as the Dellara indy is a cheap car compared to the GT40, but I doubt it somehow..

This is the picture:

What do you think? Not the nicest car in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
A TVR or MG Lola would have been nicer for sure ...

This is clearly a cheap choice that has been made by Scalextric, but one has to recognise that the price for the magazine and car is cheap as well.

·
John Roche
4,157 Posts
Mie's up for renewal, i wonder if there are any GT40's left, otherwise I won't bother.

Cheers,

John

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
Have any of you got one of these IR cars?

They are great fun, very fast and ideal for reliveries. I think you could be looking a gift car in the mouth (!?!) if you don't take advantage of the Racer car. I'll be renewing whatever.

Scott

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
It's a great car, the only slight problem is that, unless your friends have one, you are going to have to buy another for competition. But at that price, not too onerous, I think!

·
Jim Moyes
5,002 Posts
Well I'm suffering the classic cartoon character's dilemma.

On one shoulder the sensible (or mean/half Scottish) side of me sits calling out, "Save your money, you don't like open wheelers and you're not that impressed with the magazine!"

While on the other shoulder the "collector demon", complete with horns and pointed tail screams " You have to get it, you have all the cars and all the magazines from day one, it's a must have"

Well, I suppose I wouldn't have to actually go and buy an IRL car otherwise.

Hmmmmm..... decisions decisions!

This has to be the first time the car has potentially been worth (retail wise) less than the yearly subscription!

Don't do it again Hornby, you may not get away with it next time. Stick to sports cars.

Mr.M

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
It's true that, given the Dallara's usual retail price, Scalextric could have done a more thorough livery - even an authentic one ! - rather than the basic one we usually get on the club cars.

·
Premium Member
5,397 Posts
Just when I was thinking of signing up again....

And the only reason I was thinking that way was the thought the car might be a keeper this time, as I rate the mag just a couple of notches above loo roll.

More money saved.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
QUOTE I rate the mag just a couple of notches above loo roll.
Remind me to bring my own if I ever visit your pad, Wankel!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Well, at least this car is going to have "Scalextric" on it which is more than could be said for the GT40 or the Porsche GT1 before that. There are not too many cars around that have "Scalextric" printed on the bodywork so this in itself will make it highly collectable.

And its the ideal choice for a club car.

It will encourage folk in the UK to take another look at the IRL cars which up until now they may have passed on. And we are all agreed that they are superb cars for the money.

And it may well encourage a few more of our USA cousins to join the club. The magazine editorial has improved this year and with all the new stuff coming out in 2004 I suspect the editorial will get even better.

If you want to improve the editorial why don't one of you write an article for the mag. Go on, do something about it rather than moan about it.
It could become a 24 page mag with a few more good articles. I rather like the family image that it portrays and it is the only slot car mag to offer that.

Cheers
Moped

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
The Paragon Porsche is/was sponsored by Scalextric so naturally has the sun strip sticker on the windscreen.

What I meant was that apart from the "Argos" type set specials hardly any Scalextric car has "Scalextric" printed anywhere on the car so its about time a car was made that has this feature in large numbers.

I bet you that the younger generation would much rather have a car with "Scalextric" on the side than some of the licenced liveries that are available.

Again its a signal that the Scalextric Club is intended for a family audience.

Moped

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
QUOTE If you want to improve the editorial why don't one of you write an article for the mag.
At the risk of looking a smartass (actually no risk whatsoever involved - I most certainly am!),
isn't the editorial the bit reserved for the editor or just possibly an article by a staff writer?
The rest of it is 'content'.

Whatever - my impression is that the magazine is specifically targetted on a younger audience, with a very different atmosphere and attitude than we hard-bitten old bar-stewards would bring to bear and it succeeds very well in its chosen field.

If it were to change its style, then what would there be for the younger kids?
As a major toy manufacturer, Scalextric still depends on these youngsters for a large proportion of its sales. I can't see any merit in trying to change what appears to actually work very well for its chosen audience.
I think we should leave the content alone.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I too will save my money. I am in the US and paid equal to a GT40 list price to get the magazine. I don't want the 'crapwagon'.

I agree the articles are aimed at a younger audience, as for loo roll, I typically read it in on 'sitting' but leave the magazine for the next 'reader'.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I wonder of scalextric would care to comment on the actual breakdown of their market. By the sound of the motogp expansion, and the extra detail they are putting into the cars, maybe kids are NOT the major buyers of scalextric

1 - 20 of 38 Posts