SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was pleased to read over on SCI that Alan Smith has confirmed that the new Scalextric Vanwall and Maserati will in fact be the 1957 cars of Moss and Fangio respectively.

The new Scalextric catalogue shows a picture of Tony Brooks in the Vanwall in the 1958 Monaco GP, incorrectly captioned as: Vanwall F1 1961 #30.

The Maserati pictured is the #32 250F with which Fangio won the 1957 Monaco GP, incorrectly described as: Maserati F1 1953 #32.

At Monaco in 1957, Fangio won driving the #32 250F, while Moss drove the #18 Vanwall VW7/V1 (retired). Tony Brooks finished second, in the #20 Vanwall VW7/V1. Moss never drove a Vanwall with the #30. The only time the Vanwall had this number was Harry Schell in VW2 at the British Grand Prix at Aintree in 1955; Stuart Lewis-Evans in VW1/V6 at Pescara in 1957; Tony Brooks in VW10/V5 at Monaco in 1958; and Stuart Lewis-Evans at Monza in 1958.

Anyway, great that it's been confirmed that both will be 1957 cars!

Kind regards

Russell

·
Jim Moyes
5,002 Posts
Had a chance to chat with Adrian, while we played on Hornby's digital track, and I asked him about these two- in a vain attempt to distract him- and he confirmed what I had feared, they will be front motored with....... I can barely bring myself to write it............magnets!

Maserati is already in prototype form, he said, and could be out earlier than expected. Vanwall will be later in the year.

Mr.M

·
Registered
60 Posts
QUOTE (Mr Material UK @ 31 Jan 2004, 06:11 PM)and he confirmed what I had feared, they will be front motored with....... I can barely bring myself to write it............magnets!

Surely they should be front motored...the cars were in real life. As for the magnets..well they can be removed can't they?

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
I like the idea of front motored cars, to reflect the reality of the original.
I also much prefer no magets at all.
The problem is that front motor and no magnet runs really badly as a slot car.
Basically, if you want to run well without a magnet, then the motor really has to be at or near the rear.
If you want to run with a front motor, then you really need to run with a magnet too.
Sad but true.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Don't be surprised or disappointed that the Vanwall and Maserati will have magnets. Scalextrics main sales area is the High Street, to customers who are racing at home. Using the Mabuchi motors, cars need magnets for the majority of customers. Being in the front line of customers wants and needs, I would say that about 8 out of 10 Scalextric customers want cars they can control easily and that wil race fairly against each other without too much effort. These same customers don't know about the real cars performance, they just want a car they can race, and hopefully one thay like the look of at the right price. Diehard racers can alter the cars in any way they want, but that is not Scalextric's aim in selling cars.

·
Registered
119 Posts
QUOTE The problem is that front motor and no magnet runs really badly as a slot car.
Unless your rules allow adding weight and the car has the space to do so. Then the problem goes away.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I agree with Garry, companies must sell to the masses, then it's upto those people who want to change them to do so.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hi

I am confused.
Is the assertian that Hornsby has to do this layout because the MASSES don't know anything... but they DO know enough to know that Moss drove the Vanwall(and who he is) and Fangio drove this Maserati(ditto) and that, therefore, being front motored like the prototype is a Plus?

Here is my unhumble opinion of the Front Motored/rear magnet equation. Stupid.

It is the easy way for the designers to weight the guide to hold it down so that they can use the magnet to give traction. Everything else is a rationalizaton.

If you know the real cars and drivers, you want to see them DRIFT in the corner. Steering would be nice. People who know this are not the customers.

Fate

·
Registered
119 Posts
Maybe its intended design for front engine is to allow a more detailed cockpit, rather than track performance or similarity to prototype. Scalextric tend to provide more depth in their interiors so maybe that's their thinking. A mild magnet will still allow drifting while giving some traction. To the best of my knowledge, Scalextric only used a weight once rather than a magnet, in their Sports-tuned Porsche Spyder.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Front motored cars can be made to go well enough. These cars shouldn`t have to compete with more modern F1 cars so I reckon they will go fast enough for their own class. Not all Public are that stupid but Hornby gotta make them for the masses in the toy market and not just us jolly racers

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Fate, I had an idea for 4wd and steering it on our designs page on our site wrexhamslotcarclub.com

Jonny we prooved that no mag fwd was ok but add a magnet and my car would go quicker than most new fly releases! and scalex out the box

Rob.

p.s shame you didnt see it go.. was pretty spectacular sight

·
Registered
714 Posts
I am particularly drawn to gary at MRE's response and Prof Fate's, later.

I fully understand Gary's comments on cars, in general, having to satisfy Joe Public and also in general, I must agree. But then I really do wonder whether that same Joe Public would buy these particular cars in the first place? It doesn't seem all that likely to me.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
4WD? - How about 4MotorD; something like Bengt Axel's design on the SciFi thread on History, Culture & Literature? See y'all in 2007.

·
Premium Member
5,398 Posts
Was thinking Gary was spot on, and constantly posting here I think a lot of us forget that we are a teeny tiny part of the real market that Hornby rightly aim for. I was formulating my addition to this thread as I read on and Meco seems to have beaten me to the contradiction in the argument; UK Johnnie ain't gonna pester his pa for a Vanwall, it's the old soaks with their Werthers Originals that are going to buy these chariots of yesteryear and they'll not recall them running through corners at breakneck speed without a sniff of oversteer.

It's the same kind of muppetry that offers us slow running motorbikes that lean out of corners.

If only I could be ****** (stop tittering in the back there, USA Johnnie) I would buy a single Hornby Hobbies share and go ask some silly questions at the next AGM.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
QUOTE (Intergrali @ 2 Feb 2004, 11:31 AM)Jonny we prooved that no mag fwd was ok but add a magnet and my car would go quicker than most new fly releases! and scalex out the box

Rob.

p.s shame you didnt see it go.. was pretty spectacular sight
Yeah Mon! Respect to da Ganja Turbo!!
Mind you Rob, I reckon Grah1's Mafia Metro will have a contract put on you

Two-motor drive can have great acceleration - just ask the guys who were at Wrexham about my bus
so assuming the chassis has the space and the track's power can supply the goods then 4 motor drive may well be awesome.

btw nice new avatar Inte!! Can you find a Capri one?

Mark.

·
Registered
714 Posts
QUOTE I would buy a single Hornby Hobbies share and go ask some silly questions at the next AGM.
I very much doubt that your questions would be silly, but share one or two with us?

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
that metro.. all the cars there had a power complex when mine blatted past in the usual turbo whine and wheel spin

I got mine from HERE but they dont have any capri's, I'll see what I can do tho..

Rob.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
You don`t need to buy a share to have a voice as Adrian picks up a lot on what is posted here. Wouldn`t matter if we all attended the Hornby AGM as the spread of ideas represented on this forum differs so greatly that I doubt we would agree. So, imagine the nightmare for Hornby in trying to judge correctly what to produce? If you think I`m off course here just check out the topic on the proposed SF special Ed. car? So many ideas can be a good thing of course but someone has to make a decision at some stage and hope it pleases the majority.
luckily we are a happy band and share ideas on how to improve anything from cars to Challenger to strange potions to apply to tyres etc.etc.etc.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts