SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,398 Posts
Dear God, that is a deeply unattractive car. IMHO.

Not Hornby's fault (nice looking hubs); but whoever 'styled' that one over at Dodge or Buick or Chrysler or wherever should be slapped and told to do better.

Can't see Scaley scoring as well as Fly did with the predecessor.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Like the appearance of the real car or not it appears as if Scalextric did a very good job modeling the latest Viper. I have seen the racing versions of these cars up close and they aren't my favorites either but judging by the pics the brutal lines seem to be broght to us in 1/32 scale quite well.

I also noticed Harry's comments about the car having round wheel and tires- this is something very important that the other producers should take note of and is something Scalextric has been doing a good job on.

·
Fast Co.
1,240 Posts
I think Scaley has done a commendable job with the new Viper. And those new rims do look superb. They could however, have picked a better subject to start with. The new 1:1 car in race trim just doesn't have the appeal of the 1st generation car.

If Scaley are looking to do American muscle cars then how about a nicely proportioned AMX, Cuda, or early 70's model Camaro to expand the Trans Am field?

Steve

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I actually think they're kinda nice looking - perhaps I should go take soem more medication..

·
Registered
220 Posts
QUOTE (Eno Dog @ 9 Dec 2004, 17:01)I actually think they're kinda nice looking - perhaps I should go take soem more medication..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm with you Eno - feel the need for them both, think they look just as good - and at last something to put against my TVR's. Pass me that medication when you're through!!

Mike

·
Nobby Berkshire
2,015 Posts
The wear on those tyres indicate poorly fitting tyres. They are worn only on the edges...just like the Tuscan. In fact, this IS the Tuscan! Looks like its got all the potential of being another average/good slotcar. What a pity, I was hoping for a cracker (in red or black as per Scalex's pre-order marketing advertised)

Looks like Fly will continue to dominate the Viper sales

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Had a play tonight. As I expected the two Sport versions I tried looked much better in the flesh than in piccies. Tried them straight out of the box and would sum up performance as being equal to the TVR so if you want a running mate to use against said TVR this will do the job. I have a feeling the lights draw too much power off the motor top line performance but I didn`t want to disable them cos looks so good! Stunning job by Scaley in terms of paint job,tampo printing and overall presentation. Hopefully LMP will post a vid made tonite as I ran it around the club track surrounded by new SCX rally types.....

·
Registered
911 Posts
the model looks good, but the car itself is ugly as hell. im still hoping there will be some fly vipers on ebay after i get some money at christmas!!

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
can't see what the appeal of the old 1:1 versions appearance was, to my taste the revision is a bit nicer looking, although I can't comment on the performance

·
Fast Co.
1,240 Posts
Thanks for posting the pics and the excellent review Rob.
I don't know what it is about this car. Sometimes it looks like a brick of melted cheese and at other times it looks muscular and mean. The blue metallic finish always appears to be first-rate. It's kind of like Jerry Seinfeld's girlfriend, you know, the one who looks dog ugly in certain light, but drop dead gorgeous in different light.
Since I haven't had the opportunity to see the actual slot I guess I'm going to have to acquire one just to check it out.
Regards,
Steve

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Well let's face it the original car was intentionally brutish & "In your face" with an obvious nod to the Cobra; the new car really is all at once more brutish, but also more refined & a little more classy. I liked the original & I like the new one more it seems like a very natural progression from the old car. The muscular looking parts look even more so & the odd quirky bits are "tucked in" a bit more. As for the model I have one though I have yet to run it & I think it looks remarkable. The fineness of the louvers in the hood is impressive & the paint is spectacular. My only beef was that the disk brake rotor detail is too big; taking up almost all of the inside wheel area.

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Ok, I haven't followed the Viper heritage as much as some other cars so...

Are the latest Fly release (Team Oreca Viper for example) and this latest from Scalextric supposed to be the same car?

Model wise, if the Scaley one can keep up with the Fly one then it has some real changes over previous Scaley cars in terms of speed and acceleration.

The Scaley one also looks better in Taxis shots than in any other shots I have seen.

·
Rob
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Glad you liked it guys!

Swiss, there's a bit more about the Mk2 Viper on this thread - it's not the same car as the Fly Viper.

Regarding the car's performance - it's just my opinion, running only on my track. It hasn't got the straight line speed of the Fly car, but I found it easier to drive through the corners - a bit more stable, maybe a bit more grip. I can definitely get faster laps out of it than a TVR.

All in all I like it, and I hope my comments/review are helpful.

Rob

1 - 20 of 30 Posts