SlotForum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
Bought the new scaley Will Davison Ford (DPR) car the other week and today put in a SSD DPR chip and the car took off in reverse.

After a few tests like putting chip in another car and also running it in analogue mode my findings are the chip was fine and the car runs forward in analogue but put a chip in and in digital mode off it goes in reverse (not really surprised given it's a FORD
).

Opened the car up and compared the wiring to the Richards Dunlop DPR ford which works fine (must have a Holden motor
) and the wiring to the motor has the red and black wires the opposite way round and the green wire runs to the left braid and yellow wire runs to the right braid which is the opposite to the Richards Ford.

I guess the solution will be easy by just changing the wires around but I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue?

Edit

Just tested the car with the DPR chip in with analogue mode on and it goes in reverse, same car with no chip in analogue mode and it goes forward.

So just figured out that when it comes to slot cars FORD probably stands for "Foward Or Reverse Device"

·
Greg Gaub
14,656 Posts
Sounds like a big old OOPS on the part of the Aussie V8 manfacturer (I heard it's not Hornby, but another company licensing the Scalextric brand). Seems like they've swapped the order of the pins that connect to the DPR chip. The yellow/green don't make much difference for digital, but outputting the red and black in reverse will make it run reverse with a chip in any mode. Put the original DPR door back in, and it runs forward because they've shorted the pins according to their wiring. I would bet if you put a DPR door from another car into that one, it will run in reverse in pure analog mode.

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (MrFlippant @ 29 Feb 2012, 16:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sounds like a big old OOPS on the part of the Aussie V8 manfacturer (I heard it's not Hornby, but another company licensing the Scalextric brand). Seems like they've swapped the order of the pins that connect to the DPR chip. The yellow/green don't make much difference for digital, but outputting the red and black in reverse will make it run reverse with a chip in any mode. Put the original DPR door back in, and it runs forward because they've shorted the pins according to their wiring. I would bet if you put a DPR door from another car into that one, it will run in reverse in pure analog mode.

Hi MrF

Yep, I think it is Southern Models that organise the Aussie V8 cars as the Hornby distributor downunder and yep I think its is a big OOPS (just wondering if its a one off or a whole production run)

I just tried your idea and put a different DPR door in and the car went forward, so I had a look at the wiring again and it seems the order of the pins at the chip are the same as other chips however, the red & black wires are coming from the opposite sides of the motor and going to the same pin point on the chip (hope that makes sence).

I will resolder the motor wires and I asumme that should fix it.

·
Greg Gaub
14,656 Posts
I realize now (duh) that of course it will still run forward in analog mode, as you said that they swapped the green and yellow wires as well. That means that the bridging in the DPR door still works correctly.

Yes, swapping the motor leads at the motor will fix it... for digital. But then it will go backward if you take out the DPR chip and run it analog.

That's an easy fix, though, just swap the "feet" at the guide so that the green and yellow are swapped in position. Along with swapping the motor wires at the motor, that should make it run forward in both digital and analog (no chip) modes.

It would be interesting to know if this is a one-off mistake of a manufacturing directive/design error. Is this the first Aussie V8 with the DPR feature? All the ones I've seen (and the one I have) do not have it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
QUOTE Is this the first Aussie V8 with the DPR feature?

Billy Cart is having trouble with the 2011 FG Ford Falcon C3225 (W. Davison). The 2010 FG Ford Falcon C3077 (S. Richards) is also a DPR car.
Just as Billy Cart has, I have a DPR chip in the 2010 car and it works fine.

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
QUOTE (MrFlippant @ 29 Feb 2012, 18:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I realize now (duh) that of course it will still run forward in analog mode, as you said that they swapped the green and yellow wires as well. That means that the bridging in the DPR door still works correctly.

Yes, swapping the motor leads at the motor will fix it... for digital. But then it will go backward if you take out the DPR chip and run it analog.

That's an easy fix, though, just swap the "feet" at the guide so that the green and yellow are swapped in position. Along with swapping the motor wires at the motor, that should make it run forward in both digital and analog (no chip) modes.

It would be interesting to know if this is a one-off mistake of a manufacturing directive/design error. Is this the first Aussie V8 with the DPR feature? All the ones I've seen (and the one I have) do not have it.

Good idea with swapping the feet at the guide as well so there should be no issues in future be it digital or analogue.

This is the 3rd Aussie V8 with DPR (all Fords) they bought 2 out a year ago (Richards & Winterbottom) that work OK with the correct wiring. The car with the wrong wiring is the latest release this year (maybe it's because Will Davison was a Holden driver before he switched to Ford last year
) none of the new Holdens are DPR, I assume they are waiting for a 1:1 model change before they re-tool which is what happened with the Fords.

My local Hobby Store has a heap of these cars in stock so I will go down and see if I can open these cars up to see if they are wired the same as the one I bought which will tell us if its a "one off" or if there are others around, although I haven't seen any posts here or at Auslot yet detailing this issue.

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
QUOTE (racerunner @ 29 Feb 2012, 22:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Billy Cart is having trouble with the 2011 FG Ford Falcon C3225 (W. Davison). The 2010 FG Ford Falcon C3077 (S. Richards) is also a DPR car.
Just as Billy Cart has, I have a DPR chip in the 2010 car and it works fine.

Hi Pete,

Yep the first 2 DPR Fords released work fine, as a Holden man I really reckon this has something to do with Will Davison's switch to Ford last year.

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finely got around to switching and re-soldering the red and black wires on the motor and all is now good with car working fine in digital mode.

Also stopped in to my local hooby shop and checked out other Will Davison ford models and they are all wired the same way so there should be others out there with this same problem.

·
Registered
239 Posts
It must have something to do with gravity working in the opposite direction in The Land Downunder!
Hopefully the distributer in Australia will take note, fix the problem and inform the retailers.

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (Richard TB @ 4 Mar 2012, 04:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It must have something to do with gravity working in the opposite direction in The Land Downunder!

Good point Richard, it's like the toilet flush swirling in a different direction down here.

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
QUOTE (Billy_Cart @ 3 Mar 2012, 07:31) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Finely got around to switching and re-soldering the red and black wires on the motor and all is now good with car working fine in digital mode.

Also stopped in to my local hooby shop and checked out other Will Davison ford models and they are all wired the same way so there should be others out there with this same problem.

I've just highlighted this to Scalextric, I'm sure they will thank you for identifying this fault....

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE (RikoRocket @ 6 Mar 2012, 04:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I've just highlighted this to Scalextric, I'm sure they will thank you for identifying this fault....

Thanks Riko, at least they will have a heads up on the issue if they get any complaints.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts