SlotForum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Tony
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
We are trying to get a new slot car club up and running, we have a 90' braided MDF track (see pictures). The power supply is variable from 9 to 18 volts and computerised lap counting is in situ. We intend to run several classes. We will be South Downs Slot Car Club.

1. Production chassis 1/32nd GT/LMP with Falcon motors.
2. Production chassis 1/24th Saloon with Falcon Motors
3. Group 12 Sallons to BRSCA rules
4. Hard body commercially available GT
5. Hard body commercially available Saloons.

The classes are open to polite suggestions except the group 12

We propose to run on a Wednesday or Thursday night

The Track is based in Richardson's Holiday Village, Bracklesham Bay, Chichester, Sussex, PO20 8JE.
The clubroom is large well lit and heated, catering on site and plenty of w.c's

If anyone is interested please pm me

Tony

·
Tony
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to mention we do have 1/24th production club cars and controllers available

·
Anthony Bartlett
3,255 Posts
I have set 2 posts to invisible - that have no value to the original post.

·
Ian
99 Posts
WOW Tony,
Sounds like you have a great set-up many clubs will be envious of, it's always difficult setting up a club (and maintaining one) I wish you every success with your venture.

Good Luck

·
Registered
261 Posts
Good luck with that.
Wednesday would be a good night as we (Solent SC Club) race on Tuesdays, Manor Farm & Bolwextric race on alternate Mondays and No Name race on Thursdays.
A real die hard in the Hampshire/West Sussex area could race 4 nights a week!

·
Steve Hills
491 Posts
Hi gents.
Have you settled on which nights you plan to race and which classes you'll run?
With the Solent Slot Car Club just across for you running on Tuesdays, I hope to be able to race between the two clubs in the future.

all the best.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Hi Tony.
Very best wishes with the set up of your new Club.
Great to see another Slot Club starting up. You look to have a nice mix of BSCRA and'Hard Body' classes to start your programe off. If you start to get reasonable turn outs, maybe one day you could put on a CSCRA 'Classic' type event, Sussex is a lovely part of the country to visit. Just one word of advice...make sure you give a thorough clean of the track prior to running your hard body 'rubber' tyre classes. Running rubber tyres on goop is unpleasant at best!
Kind regards,
Bill

·
Premium Member
5,717 Posts
I wish you all the best starting a new club.

With the different classes you will hopefully attrack lots of members.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Four intrepid HO racers from Worthing ventured west to the South Downs Slot Car Club last night for a taste of 1:24th racing on the colossal eight lane monster lurking in the otherwise innocent Richardson's Holiday Camp.

Ant, Bigtone and the rest of the club all made us feel very welcome and provided us with cars and controllers. Some impressive facial control stopped them wincing too much as my car cartwheeled off the track during practise. Really sorry about that guys!

Andy put in some very impressive runs during the heats with Mike a few laps back and myself and Paul bringing up the rear. The structure of the night was three heats of three minutes with three minute finals with step up for the top two.

Andy and Mike stepped up out of our final and Paul pipped me in the last 30 seconds after I ended up on my roof in the one place a marshal was not! Well no one was expecting someone to crash there! A heroic dash from Liam saw me the right way up but I'd blown it and the wooden spoon was mine.

Andy nearly caused an upset as he came very close to progressing out of the next final but Mike's car was sadly blocking his lane and a big shunt happened instead. Should I mention that Mike had discovered the bar down the hall where Grab-A-Granny night was in full swing (to a live band no less!) or not? Anyway Andy looked a little peeved to have come so close and lost out but he was mighty impressive as a mostly rookie.

It was Ant who won the A final with a huge 30 laps. I believe he broke the lap record for one lane during the heats too. Well done Ant! The whole A final was a bit of a masterclass with barely a crash among any of the drivers.

Thanks again to all at the South Downs club for making us so welcome and providing us with everything we needed for a great night. It was also rather fun to have a little blast on the track with our Scalextric cars after the racing although after the race cars, they all seemed incredibly pedestrian!

I didn't take nearly as many photos of the racing or the cars as I should of but here are the ones I did take.

Cheers

Gareth

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Hi Tony.
Are you sure the track is only '90ft'!!!
Did you miss the 1 in front of it!
It looks enourmous, just like the old 'Blue King' type American Raceways of the 60's/70's.
Ignore my comments regarding cleaning the track..you would need a small army of guys and a lot of time to do that!
I hope the venture goes well for you.
Regards Bill.

·
Tony
2,834 Posts
Hi Gareth
THanks for coming down, the whole night was a blast apart from when one of our club members wrecked my car in the B Final. YOu are all welcome anytime.

Bill
Our old track was 90' but was replaced earlier this year by our new 150' Plus 8 laner. it can be used during the day by the holiday makers and luckily it is treated as a facility and is cleaned by the staff. We also are able to use the bar and other facilities.

Tony

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Hi Tony,

Yeah that was a huge smash onto the straight. I was unhooking the body from behind the guide it was such a big one! Hope the paintjob survived ok. A very pretty and super smooth Ferrari you had there. You couldn't even hear it through the quick bends.

Cheers

Gareth

·
Tony
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gareth

It wasn't just the one crash it was twice with the same driver in the same place. I haven't dared to unpack my box yet, I do now the chassis is bent so it may not be so smooth anymore. Shouldn't really use that body as it's only a prototype and never raced. Just ordered some new bodies which are shovel shaped

Tony

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just a belated thank you from me to the Worthing guys, Paul, Andy Mike and Gareth (thanks for the review!) I'm glad you enjoyed the experience - I shudder to think how good you'd be with one of our JK chassis cars! Maybe you'd like to find out one evening?!!

Thanks again, great to see some new faces at South Downs - racing every Wednesday evening from 7pm, normally finish by 10 but free practice always available.

Cheers, Ant

1 - 15 of 15 Posts