SlotForum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
David H
3,912 Posts
Wraith, our resident slot car magpie, posted this in the "cars bought by members" thread and it set me wondering; how does everyone else justify their slot car purchases?

QUOTE (Wraith @ 26 Jul 2012, 09:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I can afford them as I don't drink, Don't smoke, Don't club etc etc.

Like Wraith, I don't drink or smoke and my pleasure is driving many pointless "fun" miles in a car that averages 17mpg, and significantly less when driven at an enjoyable pace. With the current price of petrol, I now have a direct choice; a tank of fuel or four slot cars, so I drive less, buy more slot cars and still spend the same amount.

So what's everybody else's excuse?

·
Digital Guru
11,201 Posts
hi
putting the 1:1 stuff aside i dont buy slots anymore just because they come out in a new livery. I wait for the price reductions or sales to kick in, if i miss them i miss them.

Have had some good buys from the swapshop though.

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
I look at a computer for hours every day and when I get home the last thing I want to see is TV or the internet. I need a 3D experience!
A slot car is cheap when you compare it to the cost of these services.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
That`s a weird one for me Dopamine.

I`ve been with our lass for 30 odd years. I was into slots before I met her . I`ve always bought nearly all the new Scaley releases throughout my life & she`s AOK with that. She`s happy accepting I never go out & it`s always been my hobby ect.ect. with those.... in reality I have no justification for buying modern slots because (except for a few) they get hoyed straight up the loft.

However, I get the frying pan treatment off her whenever I get vintage stuff in...she can`t understand why an old car is so much more expensive than a modern one. Hence I am "wasting my money on cr*p!".......bitch...

Cheers,
Kev

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I drink, smoke and buy slot cars, but I don't believe I do any to a great excess, I've always lived within my means. I have been swapping some of my duplicates lately, especially against some of the more expensive items. My wife has her own income, but if she ever needs money, I'm there, I don't have to justify my collection to anyone, good job cause I have no idea how a grown man could possibly justify having literally hundreds of toy cars stashed in the attic. All the best Jason

·
Martin De Ath
1,440 Posts
Hi there all..

Intrestring thread..... please read...

I have been back into slot cars for approx 4 years now, after quite a long break from the hobby..

As a lot of you know, I am very much into converting unusual cars/vehicles into slot cars, especially Muscle cars, pickups, vans etc, and anything TV or Movie related..
First of all I started purchasing cheap slotcars from E Bay or direct from suppliers (If the price was right) for these conversions (which I still do) so I have aquired over the years probably approx 100+ complete cars, various chassis from various manufacturers for this purpose... To date approx 100+.

Very soon after being bitten by the "slot car bug" again, I found the Pendle slot car club, here in Lancashire, about 20 mins away from me.. This started me on the racing side again.. Great fun, but of course then I had to purchase suitable cars for the different classes they run..

A few of my fellow Pendle club members, suggested I entered some of the special events, organised around the country. These are mainly for scratchbuilt cars from various years, style of cars and classes.
This part of scratch building, usually building resin bodies and scratchbuilt brass chassis , for concours and racing, I enjoy very much, and have had the fortune to have won a few concours trophies at various events.

Then we have the usually new "Ready to Runs" purchased from various manufacturers from arond the world.. These ammount at a last count of approx 580+ boxed cars..Some I do occasinally use, but most are "display only"...
Normally I purchase these because I like the car, style or for a special collection like "Nascars", Classic Nincos, Carrera Muscle cars, etc. I also sometimes collect Ltd Edition or Event cars..

Basically I put my Slotcar purchases down to .. Cars I need for a specific conversion/scratchbuild, Club race cars, RTRs that I especially like, either to use or display, and selected Ltd Editions & Event Cars..

Quite often, buying wisely, after a few years (even in some cases months) certain cars seem to start fetching sometimes silly money and can be good investments, certainly better than money in the bank.
But dont forget, cars are only worth, what some is prepared to pay for it..

Have fun with the hobby, and enjoy yourself, no mater what scale you are into..

All the best.. Martin.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Interesting question!!

I have been into slot cars for over 20 years since my parents bought me a Nightstages set. As a teenager I bought loads of cheap cars (only got paperround wages) and some new or expensive old cars were on finance whereby I paid £3 or so each week until I had paid the correct price (this is why I miss decent local modelshops, run by cracking people). In my 20's I was on low wages so new cars were a treat. Now in 2009 to 2011 I bought any slot car I liked, occasionally 2 or 3 cars in a week, no worries from my wife. 2012, space is very limited for new cars so I am now sticking (mostly) to a list of cars I want (still a long list).

I can afford new cars because I work long hours. My wife doesn't mind at all.

Matthew

·
Registered
312 Posts
Myself, I just used to collect the scalextric slot cars, not every release but only the ones that took my interest, American Muscle cars, endurance cars, classic sports.

Over the past year since I started going to the local Slot club I have spent ALOT more on cars, upgrades.

I don't buy from snooze bay, mainly Topslots bcos of the free delivery over £50 squids

I guess affording these its all down to budget,everyones different. I try to budget for 2 cars a month. if I don't buy any one month then I can buy 4 the next

Everyone needs a hobby so thats my excuse.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts