SlotForum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Maserati 8CTM "Boyles Special", Indianapolis 500 winner in 1939 and 1940, driven by Wilbur Shaw.

Images courtesy of Electric Dreams

Available in February 2005 from Electric Dreams in five versions in RTR and kit form.

Kind regards,

Russell

G

·
Russell what a really great looking car.

Their will be one in the Brookland Museum display after the Easter change over.

Jeff

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not to mention the fabulous six wheel 1949 Indianapolis 500 "Pat Clancy Special", one of the nicest scratchbuilt cars I've ever seen:-

Details here.

Kind regards

Russell

·
Premium Member
5,147 Posts
Mark, your 8CTF was the highlight of the first Marconi Proxy race in 2000, and one of my all-time personal faves. This is a most impressive slot car that put to shame the best of 1960's hand-built machines. And think, it is made of a chunk of wood!

In fact, I think that you should get in touch with Daniele Ostorero and offer your services to provide a physically more appealing driver for their otherwise very nice machine. Please get in touch with me if you are willing to help as there is still time to improve on this.
Regards,

Philippe
[email protected]

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi all, one of the great things about the web site article is that occasionally I get an e-mail such as this:

Mr. Gussin,

My name is Jason M*. I live in Memphis TN, USA.
My great grandfather designed that car. As you
mentioned in your article, he did own some trucks. As
I am told, this would have been in the 1940s when the
war was on and spare parts were impossible to find. I
am also told that when one of his trucks needed a ring
and pinion for the differential, he fabricated one. My
uncle still has his dial indicator in the original
wooden box.

The car raced at Indy for the 1946 and 1947 seasons,
but was not very successful. I assume the added
rotational weight and overall weight involved in
turning four wheels made it slower in the straights.

By chance, I was looking in Google Images hoping to
find some pics and found your slot car. Very
impressive if I must say. I have already forwarded
links to my uncle, and I am sure it will be a topic of conversation at Christmas.

Thanks.

Jason M*
Memphis TN

·
Premium Member
5,147 Posts
Of course it was. The car you see is the first one assembled and the correct color was not available.

Be patient, Grasshopper...

Hey Mark, how about modeling a driver?
By the way, the AJ Watson-built replica was at the PRI show in Indy and I was promised a drive...

·
Registered
571 Posts
The colour of the real car is absolutely gorgeous!

Can't wait to see the slot version in that colour.

As has been mentioned, all that lets the model down is the driver. Otherwise very impressive.

JS

·
Premium Member
5,147 Posts
QUOTE (Rail Racer @ 13 Jan 2005, 19:22)Hi Philippe,
Now nice as Mark Gussin "Clancy Special" is, I don't think it is even close to being good as some of the 60's slot cars built by people like Graham Green. below is an example of his work.
Jeff
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Jeff,
There I have to disagree some. I have personally seen many of these early cars by the best modelers of the period, and if indeed their detailing is superior and I like them very much for their history and the difficulty their builders had without the tooling and materials available today, their level of finish never approached the incredibly clean and precise finish of cars built by Mark or Russell Sheldon.

In the same manner, the beautiful models made by Michele Conti or Olive Sans or Gerald Wingrove are impressive, but a 1/8th scale Exoto mass-produced in China today is just as nice or... nicer.
Time marches on... and we can agree to disagree.
Kind regards,

Philippe

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I really like the look of this - and having a different "historic" Indy car to play with will let me justify getting both this and the previously released sort. The Maser looks good in the deep purply bloody reddy shiny colour doesn't it!

I've talked to teh people at Ostorrero a coule of times chasing information from here in Aus and have found them jolly nice people to boot!

G

·
Dear Philippe,
This August at the Pendle Slot Club a 50th anniversary of the first rail race meeting is being held, to which all the great slot/rail car builders from the past have been invited along with all the great scratch builder from the present. So that the best cars from each period will be on display,and if they are not their in person their cars will be.

So we will soon know which period built the greatest scratch built car. Lots of Pictures from this once in a lifetime event will be posted.

Best wishes,

Jeff

1 - 17 of 17 Posts