SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how the braids with the brass end-plate stays securely in place in these new guides? The end-plate has a hole in it but I doubt that the rivet thing jambs into it .......
It would appear to pass right through the guide .....

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks ...... that is exactly what I was looking for

and some on this forum think that Scalextric guides are over engineered ........ talk about using a sledgehammer to crack a nut

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
At Larkfield it is normal to need to change braids during an evening, and that needs to take seconds. Remind me not to get an Audi until they come to their senses.

·
Tony
2,834 Posts
I always had trouble changing braids, couldn't get used to those fiddly little ferrules and they always kept coming out. Maybe my suasage like fingers but always thought taking a body off to change braids was daft. I have changed all my plastic hard body cars to the TSP guide as in the picture. Much easier and handle better. some tracks may require the guide blade to be shortened.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
If you look at the front part of Slot.it Lola you will see that standard shape of the guide just wouldn't work because of height.
And, after you change the braids in a new guide a few times it doesn't seem that complicated anymore.

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE need to change braids during an evening, and that needs to take seconds

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
QUOTE (RikoRocket @ 16 Aug 2012, 13:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>At Larkfield it is normal to need to change braids during an evening, and that needs to take seconds.
Really, what are you running on sand paper

G

·
QUOTE (Bigtone @ 16 Aug 2012, 14:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I always had trouble changing braids, couldn't get used to those fiddly little ferrules and they always kept coming out. Maybe my suasage like fingers but always thought taking a body off to change braids was daft. I have changed all my plastic hard body cars to the TSP guide as in the picture. Much easier and handle better. some tracks may require the guide blade to be shortened.

That guide won't work in a Lols though.

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
QUOTE (Michael363672 @ 16 Aug 2012, 19:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Really, what are you running on sand paper
It's a magnabraided track and the steel can damage the copper braids on the cars (mostly due to age, fraying and repairs)

We had a concerted effort last year to get rid of snags as most cars would only last 3 races til a braid was gone

·
Vendor
2,920 Posts
With some experience and leaving cables inside the car with more slack, this guide system allows you to change braids without opening the car like a more standard type of guide.

A standard guide would not fit under the Lola (and future LMP cars that we'll develop) unless
1 - we changed the nose of the cars to look like a snowplow so to make room for a std. guide, or/and
2 - we moved the pickup back by several mm thus reducing the rear axle/pickup distance which would have been bad for performance

Regards
Maurizio

·
WRP World Champ 2015/2016
4,279 Posts
I'm like you Tone, got thrown out of gynae college cos I've got fingers like Walls bangers.

I like the look of the new guide with the motor lead having an etched ferrule and engine screw fixing it to the guide.

Can these guides retro fit other cars, other than the new gen of LMPs?

·
Living the Life&#33;
11,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE this guide system allows you to change braids without opening the car like a more standard type of guide.
That's as maybe, but try replacing them on a digital chip - they have rather short leads ............

·
WRP World Champ 2015/2016
4,279 Posts
I think thats what one of the earlier posters said, get a bit of slack in there. Not being a very clever solderer, I think I would splice a bit of silicone lead onto the existing lead to get the slack, myself - I'd most likely fry the chip! (Which reminds me, need to get posting).

·
Greg Gaub
14,670 Posts
I've had to replace wire to/from a slot.it chip before. It's not too hard. No harder than any other solder job, really. I don't have a lola, but if I ever get one, and chip it, I'll probably add longer wire up front to get slack as Maurizio suggests.

·
Living the Life&#33;
11,082 Posts
QUOTE need to get posting

·
Vendor
2,920 Posts
QUOTE (snurfen @ 17 Aug 2012, 16:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm like you Tone, got thrown out of gynae college cos I've got fingers like Walls bangers.

I like the look of the new guide with the motor lead having an etched ferrule and engine screw fixing it to the guide.

Can these guides retro fit other cars, other than the new gen of LMPs?

No, sorry, the chassis must be designed around the LMP guides

FYI - we are receiving the first test of the screw type guides for LMP (wood and standard) as well as the screw standard type.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts