Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Slot.it announces the immediate availability of the Slot.it lighting kit. Specifically built for Slot.it cars, it is quite different from the other lighting kits currently available.

The kit consists of two separate pieces: the base circuit and the top circuit. The two halves are connected through a microconnector. This way, the body and the chassis can easily be separated without unsoldering or having to remove the kit. Weight on the body is kept to an absolute minimum (1.6g).

The base circuit fits perfectly into the chassis of any Slot.it car, including the HRS chassis.

It comes pre-soldered, with cables cut to length, and with heat shrinking sleeves. It does not require any soldering from the user.

Functional features of the Slot.it lighting kit:

1.Automatic lights shutoff after 15 seconds with no power: this way, the capacitor is never fully discharged, and the lights are immediately ready for use - even after a few days!

2.Timed braking effect: like in a real racing car, the brake lights are on only for a limited time. So, the braking lights will only be on for at most 3 seconds - or less if the braking is shorter.

3. Only 1.6g only added to body weight

Technical specifications:-

Power supply: max 20Vdc
Weight: 4.6g (3g chassis side, 1.6g body side)
Power inversion protected
LED Colour: front white, rear red

Best regards

Maurizio
--

Galileo Engineering
Via Cavallotti 16
I-42100 Reggio Emilia
P.IVA I-01799760358
Ph +390522516244
Ph/Fax +390522920496
www.slot.it

Slot.it is a trademark of Galileo Engineering

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Love the pre wired kit idea - my lighting project cars usually end up rammed full of excess wire, and sweat from the worry of having the hot soldering iron so close to the delicate plastic!

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Don't know why, but I'm strongly reminded of a Carrera car...

Don't like the look of the flimsy-ass wire which goes to the guide and to the motor. I'd want to replace this straight away, but you shouldn't have to with Slot.It stuff...

Very clever electronics if it does as you say Russ, so congrats on that Slot.It.

I won't be buying one though... I still can't understand why you'd want to take power away from the motor...

Lotus

·
Registered
714 Posts
Neither will I, for the same reasons. But there must have been enough demand from people who do desire lighting, else I imagine it woudn't have been made available. This seems to be a particularly neat and complete kit that should keep them very happy..

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Should not be any harder than any other aftermarket light kit to fit in non slot.it cars. Will entail a bit of soldering probably but then most already do.

New features sound good, anyone have an idea on price please?

These light kits take minimal current draw and in any case are in parallel with the motor NOT serial therefore they draw NOTHING from the motor but from the transformer. Performance will NOT be affected. All they add is around 4 grams of weight which if placed correctly will enhance the car not detract from its performance.

Fitting an aftermarket lighting kit can add a totally new dimension to your cars, especialy if chosen well and planned.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Don't get me wrong. They look like very profession kits, and I'm sure they are great for what they are meant for because Slot.It made them.

I just think they look more suited to conversions and display thingies, rather than racers. But out of all lighting kits they are probably the one I would put in a racer if I had too. The thing is, I just don't like getting a bit of xenon in the eye as the cars are wizzing around!

Lotus

·
Registered
714 Posts
Erm, not meaning to be argumentative, Swiss, but I think that pre-supposes that the power supply has enough whuff to cover it. If not, however little the lights take, then surely it isn't available to the motor?

Moral - always make sure your PSU has a bit in hand, up its sleeve or whatever!

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
You are right of course Mecoprop, I AM assuming decent power supply - sorry folks.

and NO need to apologise for not agreeing mate - I'm a big boy now, I can take it.

But even so milliamps is what these things take and on a home circuit I would say the effect would be microscopic. Motors take the most power on acceleration and settle down sharply on the Amp intake once moving. Only if the car were asking for more current than the transformer was able to give, would you see a slight difference (MAYBE) and by then you would be having power problems anyway, lights on or not.

ALL public or Club tracks ought to be on aftermarket supplies, even if just to end the frustration factor so in this instance a lighting kit would have no effect on the speed and acceleration of the car.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
On my home circuit, I rarely get to full throttle anyway. Few people have haouses big enough for straights to allow that. At clubs, you would hope they have up-rated power supplies anyway. So imho, I would have thought for most home and club racers, the power would not be an issue

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Put it this way, if it costs a thousanth of a second a lap. Times that by 15 for a race. Times that by 8 to get a full race evening... and it's still a really small number
. But it might win you the race evening, or move you up a spot, and in my book thats better then not winning, but looking shiney.

Lotus

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
As Swiss says, a lighting unit like this draws power in the range of milliamps. I doubt that many drivers could see the effect of such a kit in terms of laptimes even on a track with less than adequate power, and of course, there is NO effect (zero, zippo, nada, zilch!) on a track with good power.

And we all know that we need good PSUs by now, don't we?

Just remember to avoid shorting that capacitor when working on the car, since it never discharges completely!

Looks like a nice kit. I like the plug-in design.

PS - I can see it now... all of Lotus' opponents are going to show up with lights now just to bug him!

·
Registered
715 Posts
OK, Hit me if this has been answered here, but the brake lights do function separately from the tail light function, right? The tail lights are always on while running then get brighter as the car brakes (if brake wire connected to controller), right?

Thanks

Maltese

·
Registered
86 Posts
Lotus,

I'd never trade a 0"001 lap time for aesthetic, too, but...
have you ever tried an endurance race with part of the race in the dark, using the lights installed on the cars?
Believe me, it's a real FUN!

On my side, I've seen the prototipe slot.it kit few weeks ago, installed on Maurizio Ferrari Porsche 956: it is very well built, very low COG, very easy installation on Slot.it cars, non solderings, very easy DISINTALLATION, you only need to drill 4 holes to fit the leds on the body.
My only complain is slot.it Porsche and Audi have 4 (2+2) front lights, while the kit has only 2 (1+1)...

Ciao
Otello

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I have tried that.

And I prefer driving in the daylight... although I am curously faster when it's dark and I'm driving by the lights in the car.

Lotus

1 - 20 of 27 Posts