SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts

The Porsche 962 Blaupunkt is leaving the factory and will be distributed shortly - before the end of November.

Attached are a few images, taken from preproduction models, detailing the new cars (Repsol: December 2004), and the differences between the Porsche 956 and the Porsche 962.

Best regards

Maurizio
--
Galileo Engineering
Via Cavallotti 16
I-42100 Reggio Emilia
Ph/Fax +390522920496
www.slot.it

Slot.it is a trademark of Galileo Engineering

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
That's brilliant - thanks!

I always liked the 956 & thought the 962 an ugly duckling. Not seeing the 2 together I often thought it was just teh paintjob (well you know how a bad paint job makes the car look house brushed..)

Actually I think it looks better in the slot than real life!

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm patiently waiting for this one, Alan:-

And of course the short-tail 962. As Maurizio's pictures show, there are subtle differences to the naked eye when compared to the 956, but in reality the differences were quite substantial.

Porsche wanted to enter the fray in the US-based IMSA series, but the officials deemed the 956 illegal, objecting mainly to the fact that the driver's feet were placed ahead of the front axle line. So in the latter part of 1983, Porsche built an "IMSA version" of the 956, using an air-cooled 935 engine and with a longer wheelbase, which placed the driver's feet behind the front axle line. This was the 962, first raced by the factory at the 1984 season opening Daytona 24 Hours, where it qualified on pole but retired with engine and gearbox problems in the hands of Mario and Michael Andretti.

By mid-summer Porsche had fitted a 3.2-liter injected turbo 935 six-cylinder engine and the larger engine, along with short tail bodywork, transformed the 962 into a winner.

Porsche built a great many of these cars -- 962-001 through 962C-016 were works chassis and 962-101 through 962C-177 were customer 962s, so there were literally more than a hundred liveries or variants of liveries that could be reproduced.

The Revell-Monogram March 83G will be an ideal running partner -- if it performs anything like the Slot.it Porsche, of course!

Kind regards,

Russell

·
Alan Tadd
4,039 Posts
Russell

I do hope you haven't shown Maurizio the Gunston car!, or did the picture come from him?. It does look superb.

That will fit in very neatly with my Lola T70 and Porsche 917K in this wonderful livery.

Regards

Alan

·
Fast Co.
1,240 Posts
Another must-have. I wonder though, did they extend the wheelbase on the slot version of the 962? Also, shouldn't the tail fins be taller. You know I see so many versions of all cars in photographs, at the track, reproduced as slots and die casts that I'm not sure what the real car looks like. I'll have to go back to some of my pix from the Monterey Historics.

Awesome job - as usual for Slot-It.
I'd love to see this car in the beautiful gold, white and red Miller High Life colors.

Steve

·
Registered
543 Posts
the wheelbase difference should be about 1/8 inch, 3.5mm.

the 956/962 ran with either high or low rear wing depending what track. think the NewMan/Joest 956 LeMans winner, not sure if '84 or '85, ran the high wing, contrary to factory advice.

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Mampara and Alan,

Unfortunately, it is most unlikely that Slot.it will produce the Gunston 956 short-tail car. It is the Richard Lloyd Racing car that was driven by Jan Lammers and Jonathan Palmer in the 1983 Castrol 1000 Km race at Kyalami. The picture is a 1/43rd scale Quartzo die-cast model.

I believe that the Rothmans three carset is scheduled for February.

Kind regards

Russell

·
Beppe Giannini
1,696 Posts
QUOTE (monquispot @ 9 Nov 2004, 17:00)the wheelbase difference should be about 1/8 inch, 3.5mm.

on ItaliaSlot, they say the wheelbase is "a few mm" longer - trust Maurizio !

Beppe

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
QUOTE The Revell-Monogram March 83G will be an ideal running partner -- if it performs anything like the Slot.it Porsche, of course!

This one will give some competition to the beautiful 956-962's.
Its livery will be unique.

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
QUOTE TSRF: How many will be made of these?

We will know in a few days. The livery will be interesting and original indeed...

QUOTE Could you tell us how well the Slot-it Porsche body fits the TSRF chassis?

This is one NICE body! I will have an article on how to fit it to the TSRF chassis sometimes this week. It's a breeze and I even used the Slot.It wheels because they look best. I used the Canon livery as it is one of my favorite.
Regards,

Dok

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's a magnificent looking body, Philippe, although I'm not familiar with the Canon-sponsored March.

My only disappointment is that it's another March (85G?)....

Why not Supervan's Hendrick Motorsports Lola T710, or the Zakspeed Ford Mustang GTP, or the AAR Toyota-Eagle, or a Lola T600, or a Nissan, or an Argo, or a Spice, or an Alba, or a Tiga, or....

Kind regards

Russell

1 - 20 of 27 Posts