SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wish I had looked on here 7 months ago before I started building my track! There is some fanstastic info and pics on here and many very talented modellers on here. Thanks to you all and I hope you don't mind me taking bits that inspire me from here.

Anyway here are my efforts... My track will eventually go into my loft in my house in Austria which is 15ft square with a central hatch for access. I'm building the boards in my London flat on 4ft x 2ft boards and part finished 1st and started on the 2nd. Given that I have to transport them 600 miles and get them into the loft this the max size I can do. Conservatory area is getting a bit full in my flat!!

This 1/32 scale rail curve has a radius of just a bit over 1 metre So these 2 boards together make a corner of the loft.

Given this has taken me 7 months. I estimate completion late 2016!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Yes have to plan a few boards away especially as the railway is on the rise and will be passed underneath by another train. It can only rise by about 6% and has to clear 7 inchs about 6 feet away from here

Having been to Amalfi a few times that is the inspiration, although no trains there.

So that road viaduct or whatever was what I modelled.

I'm planning on using 2 pitstop tracks next to each other so that 2 lanes become 4 and 2 of the lanes wizz around Amalfiland and the other 2 form a conventional racetarck and then join up half way around. I shall do a drawing and post on here next day or two.

Jim.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's Marklin Gauge 1 which is 1:32 so rolling stock will fit the cars nicely going around the circuit.
It's quite pricey though, lucky I can't fit too many of them on my track otherwise would be broke!!

Jim

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Perthor - I intend to put a bit of the Military rd on the Isle of wight into it. Some whitish paint on cork would look good for the cliffs along there. But not many tunnels here.. so I will use some inspiration from the Austrian lake area, were there are many.

Here is my loft plan with the two boards I'm working on in bottom corner.

The space is square, not sure why it got a bit squashed on loading here. I can go outside the boarded area for a loop back on the trains. The racetrack area I'm undecided on but there is plenty of ideas on here to borrow from!! I will try my hand at a routed track in the village area - some time next year I reckon.

Anybody know of a decent track designer software?? The Scalextric free one is pretty crap.

Jim

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you and great ideas.

And those track planners look great. I see the Railmodeller one has Gauge 1 and Scalextrix libraries. So I will try these out on the weekend. Thanks.

Jim.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Bob,

Thanks, What scale are you trains? I think with Carrera track you can use 1:32 or 1:24 cars as it is wide. If your trains are G which I think 1:22.5 then the 1:24 would work well it if you can get some track inside that is.

Jim

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi Bob,

A level crossing is a great idea! A train passing a switch could set of a bell and lower a boom on the road and then somehow it cuts the power to a a couple of pieces track near the crossing which could be independently powered so car then stops. Were you thinking off something like that?
Maybe also that new Scalextric digital powerbase that is coming out soon with ghost cars etc can be programmed with something like that.

Jim.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Well Bob, let me know if you work out something with that, we can copyright it then!

A bit more progress on my layout with the Tunnel mouth and the Barriers on the bridge.

I used aluminium tubing on the barriers, it looks good I think. As I've got the train clearance and a car track above that with clearance I couldn't really use a stone bridge arch, well it could defy miniature gravity I guess!! So used a motorway style concrete inspired bridge.

Thanks to some tips from Frank T and Graham Lane, I have wired up my first LED lights under the bridge using a resistor to 12v. Maplin shop asst advise is pretty shocking and had to look on the internet for wiring instructions.

Jim

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Phil - Thanks, Yes you are right very twisty but as I am working in modules for transport to a loft I wanted to see something that sort of takes shape on each baseboard especially with my start to keep me motivated! There will definitely be a long straight running along the hatch into the loft (no where else to go!). I think it will be a nice cliff top drive with a sheer drop below.

Graham - I think on your thread you said you are starting that at the end of this year and your going to use Marklin? Yes, will be great seeing that on your track, and we should exchange info on all this.

Jim

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Here is some landscape work in progress, most of my hills are built this way:

Bonding undercoat applied and is very strong. Greens will be the last thing on.

This plaster being earth colour saves a bit on painting later.

Jim.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Slotrace - The Nurburgring is not the only place with a high price if you hit the armco!

There is 1cm on either side of the track to the posts so I reckon if it becomes a problem I can anyway add some plastic barriers, or maybe attach rubber to the posts, but it wont look so good. I'm only using this on the straight of this bridge so maybe not a big deal.

Sealevel - They are basically an L shapped bracket with a couple of holes underneath to attach to the wooden bridge. I mocked it up out of polystyrene and had a metal guy make it out of 10mm aluminium sheet, the tubing is 8mm thick. I reckon it would have taken me 5 or 6 hrs to make them out of mdf and paint them and my hourly rate is a bit higher than the metal guys! I thought it would look much better having it all aluminium though. I will take a pic of the bracket in the next couple of days and post it on here.

Jim.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Here you go sealevel, the barrier bracket.

A bit more work done. I thought this section needs a retaining wall.

and after landscaping around the wall.

My latest Porsche!

And some more scenic shots.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Thanks Bob.

Most of the walls are out of plasticard or carved out of dense polystyrene sheets. Plasticard is quicker mind you am getting quicker with the polystyrene and you can do then what ever you think off.
What do you use? Is there a US platicard supplier that is good for this scale? We could do a swap with what have here in the UK.
The one I'm using is meant for O scale but brick size is 1:1 anyway at this scale.

Jim

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Yes it is in modules so I can transport to my attic. I have read some threads on here of putting a hammer through a layout... that would be awful to do with all the hrs one put in. So to me, it has to be 2 man moveable.

As on my rough plan going anti-clockwise the last section of track is a pit lane and after this I'm not sure about (The area I am talking about says "Hill" in that plan). I do have 2 ideas though...

a) press the button and you to a posh villa with a bbq going on a terrace. Could be good for displaying some of those classic old timer cars I have.

OR

press the button and go into a petrol station. Can use a lot of existing pit lane props, mechanics etc, a wreck being worked on, maybe some people having a picnic before going back out on the road.

Not sure yet which way to go this. What do you reckon??? HELP! I think I will use rad 3 curves after all the hairpins in work already done and make it equal length to keep the race level. So it will be a quick very quick fuel stop or sausage at the bbq!!!

As for the rest of it after this not sure and will develop as go on...

Jim

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Great ideas there Sig, are you a scriptwriter??

A classic car showroom could be where the pit lane forks off and the pit lane track runs along another creek up into George Clooney's gated villa where Hollywood starts dead and alive are partying by a pool. Guests could include Steve McQueen in his Bullitt car or his Lemans one (I have that Fly LE car somewhere), James Dean in his Ninco Porsche. Paul Newman I think he raced in Lemans or Daytona (anyone know if some of his cars are available as slots).

Jim

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Thanks astro. What then did you put on top of the chicken wire? Papermache is used by some railway guys. I haven't tried that but I reckon I would make a mess with that.

Here is the idea for the next boards, any suggestions welcome.

So the Clooney villa will have a road and rail tunnel underneath. Shame George doesn't have a better agent to get somemore $$$'s to afford a better property so he doesn't have that noise below!

The real thing!

I reckon the road that runs through the villa should be mocked up like a cobblestone drive, should have a couple of gals in bikini's swimming in that pool while there is a party going on in the landscaped garden.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
The idea would be to have something like this. i'm not sure of it though with cars wizzing by in front of a villa during a race... The road would be single lane and could be lower down I guess with some nice stairs/balcony leading to the villa entrance.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Astro, the expanding foam works well except using too much. I had a soccer ball develop once on it but it is easy to trim or add some more if a hole develops. I'm working on another section which extends the creek and will add some pics of that next few days.

Sig, sorry for the invasion of privacy!! Here is my humble drive.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.