SlotForum banner
21 - 40 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Well Bob, let me know if you work out something with that, we can copyright it then!

A bit more progress on my layout with the Tunnel mouth and the Barriers on the bridge.

I used aluminium tubing on the barriers, it looks good I think. As I've got the train clearance and a car track above that with clearance I couldn't really use a stone bridge arch, well it could defy miniature gravity I guess!! So used a motorway style concrete inspired bridge.

Thanks to some tips from Frank T and Graham Lane, I have wired up my first LED lights under the bridge using a resistor to 12v. Maplin shop asst advise is pretty shocking and had to look on the internet for wiring instructions.

Jim

·
Registered
50 Posts
Jim,
Your project is beautiful. Thank you for sharing it with us.

My only thought about the auto layout is that it is a very twisty section. The aesthetics are gorgeous, but for driving enjoyment you may want to balance it with some easier stretches when you plan other parts of your layout. It's fun to drive twisty, technical sections, but the mind needs breaks from the intense focus. It's also enjoyable to watch the cars stretch their legs a bit, if you know what I mean.

Of course, if your goals are primarily aesthetic and not much concerned about the driving experience, then ignore my comments entirely. We'll all enjoy the view!

Keep up the lovely work, and keep us posted. Very nice!
Phil

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
I've planned a combo slot and rail section for my track. The rail will just be a straight line between two tunnels though, nothing as adventurous as yours! I shall have a level crossing with barriers, bells and lights. There will be a section of slot track that goes dead when a train is coming to stop major accidents.

I watch yours with great interest.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Phil - Thanks, Yes you are right very twisty but as I am working in modules for transport to a loft I wanted to see something that sort of takes shape on each baseboard especially with my start to keep me motivated! There will definitely be a long straight running along the hatch into the loft (no where else to go!). I think it will be a nice cliff top drive with a sheer drop below.

Graham - I think on your thread you said you are starting that at the end of this year and your going to use Marklin? Yes, will be great seeing that on your track, and we should exchange info on all this.

Jim

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Here is some landscape work in progress, most of my hills are built this way:

Bonding undercoat applied and is very strong. Greens will be the last thing on.

This plaster being earth colour saves a bit on painting later.

Jim.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
QUOTE (Trg888 @ 20 May 2010, 05:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well Bob, let me know if you work out something with that, we can copyright it then!

A bit more progress on my layout with the Tunnel mouth and the Barriers on the bridge.

I used aluminium tubing on the barriers, it looks good I think. As I've got the train clearance and a car track above that with clearance I couldn't really use a stone bridge arch, well it could defy miniature gravity I guess!! So used a motorway style concrete inspired bridge.
Jim

Love the bridge barriers... really look the highway part.
Just wondered how you attached them... those spacers between the aluminum tubing does not look familiar.
What did you use to hold the tubing and attach it to the road bed?

Following your progress with great interest... keep up the good work!

Cheers!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Slotrace - The Nurburgring is not the only place with a high price if you hit the armco!

There is 1cm on either side of the track to the posts so I reckon if it becomes a problem I can anyway add some plastic barriers, or maybe attach rubber to the posts, but it wont look so good. I'm only using this on the straight of this bridge so maybe not a big deal.

Sealevel - They are basically an L shapped bracket with a couple of holes underneath to attach to the wooden bridge. I mocked it up out of polystyrene and had a metal guy make it out of 10mm aluminium sheet, the tubing is 8mm thick. I reckon it would have taken me 5 or 6 hrs to make them out of mdf and paint them and my hourly rate is a bit higher than the metal guys! I thought it would look much better having it all aluminium though. I will take a pic of the bracket in the next couple of days and post it on here.

Jim.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Thanks, Jim.
Looking forward to it.
Cheers!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Thanks Bob.

Most of the walls are out of plasticard or carved out of dense polystyrene sheets. Plasticard is quicker mind you am getting quicker with the polystyrene and you can do then what ever you think off.
What do you use? Is there a US platicard supplier that is good for this scale? We could do a swap with what have here in the UK.
The one I'm using is meant for O scale but brick size is 1:1 anyway at this scale.

Jim

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
There are 4 things I like about your layout:

1) integrating rail and road in the same scale
2) a very interesting hill climb using 270 deg chicane curve, nonetheless
3) a varied scenery approach with arches, retaining walls, overpass railings, tunnels, bridges, etc.
4) modular sections (I see the joins) so that this can presumably be moved?

Awesome work!

Now, your original layout only showed part of the road network in one corner of the room. Do you have any further plans mapped out yet?

This is a very intriguing layout.... I am following it with great interest!
Keep up the high quality work!

Cheers!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Yes it is in modules so I can transport to my attic. I have read some threads on here of putting a hammer through a layout... that would be awful to do with all the hrs one put in. So to me, it has to be 2 man moveable.

As on my rough plan going anti-clockwise the last section of track is a pit lane and after this I'm not sure about (The area I am talking about says "Hill" in that plan). I do have 2 ideas though...

a) press the button and you to a posh villa with a bbq going on a terrace. Could be good for displaying some of those classic old timer cars I have.

OR

press the button and go into a petrol station. Can use a lot of existing pit lane props, mechanics etc, a wreck being worked on, maybe some people having a picnic before going back out on the road.

Not sure yet which way to go this. What do you reckon??? HELP! I think I will use rad 3 curves after all the hairpins in work already done and make it equal length to keep the race level. So it will be a quick very quick fuel stop or sausage at the bbq!!!

As for the rest of it after this not sure and will develop as go on...

Jim

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
You are very brave constructing a scenery layout without a completed plan!
Kudos to you for such bravery and talent!

I am still wallowing in a track design swamp plus other events that have delayed progress.

I look forward to seeing your progress until such time as I can actually DO something!

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
i'd go for showing off the classic cars in a cool way, like driuing past a car show in a field (or the grounds of a stately home (as you said) or , personally i'd do a classic car showroom thats been broken in to, with a miniature nicholas cage and angelina jolie in there somewhere, and a shipping container waiting to pick up the cars!

21 - 40 of 120 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.