SlotForum banner
41 - 60 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Great ideas there Sig, are you a scriptwriter??

A classic car showroom could be where the pit lane forks off and the pit lane track runs along another creek up into George Clooney's gated villa where Hollywood starts dead and alive are partying by a pool. Guests could include Steve McQueen in his Bullitt car or his Lemans one (I have that Fly LE car somewhere), James Dean in his Ninco Porsche. Paul Newman I think he raced in Lemans or Daytona (anyone know if some of his cars are available as slots).

Jim

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Loving the build!

Also like the chicken wire and foam method. I had a vast quantity of chicken wire and expanding foam when i built my track, it never occurred to me to use them together!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Thanks astro. What then did you put on top of the chicken wire? Papermache is used by some railway guys. I haven't tried that but I reckon I would make a mess with that.

Here is the idea for the next boards, any suggestions welcome.

So the Clooney villa will have a road and rail tunnel underneath. Shame George doesn't have a better agent to get somemore $$$'s to afford a better property so he doesn't have that noise below!

The real thing!

I reckon the road that runs through the villa should be mocked up like a cobblestone drive, should have a couple of gals in bikini's swimming in that pool while there is a party going on in the landscaped garden.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
There is a road going through that villa?

Pics please.... we have to see that!

Cheers!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
The idea would be to have something like this. i'm not sure of it though with cars wizzing by in front of a villa during a race... The road would be single lane and could be lower down I guess with some nice stairs/balcony leading to the villa entrance.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
QUOTE (Trg888 @ 8 Jun 2010, 13:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks astro. What then did you put on top of the chicken wire? Papermache is used by some railway guys. I haven't tried that but I reckon I would make a mess with that.

I used papier mache over the chicken wire, I wasn't really pleased with that section, it took a lot of work and didn't look that great. elsewhere I used chunks of wood or card as a temporay suport and used a lot of mod-roc (plaster covered bandage), this was quite quick and effective.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Astro, the expanding foam works well except using too much. I had a soccer ball develop once on it but it is easy to trim or add some more if a hole develops. I'm working on another section which extends the creek and will add some pics of that next few days.

Sig, sorry for the invasion of privacy!! Here is my humble drive.

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
So, you're the one who bought the place next door. When you moving in Dick?
Guess I should make sure there's plenty of beer in the fridge.

Embs

·
Gerald Lambourn
1,034 Posts
Marklin Gauge 1 is pretty big by model railway standards and quite expensive too. Another way is to include a narrow gauge line using standard O gauge track i.e. 32 mm gauge or 1080mm which is close to the metre gauge used in Austria, Switzerland and some parts of Italy. You could run this with very simple 2 axle tram cars as used in Germany, Austria and Italy until recently, some are preserved too. Narrow gauge lines can be built to tighter radii as well so it's a win-win. Gerald Lambourn

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Knoath that's a nice track in the backyard. Looks though you need a few barriers around to avoid wrapping a tree!

Which got me thinking about my barriers and how to attach them. I don't want to use the feet scalextric have (rubbish really) and I don't want to drill holes. So I was playing this morning and put this together in 10 minutes, cuts some cork sheet and drilled some holes and squared it with a file. Will work well I think after painting, thanks for making me think this over my morning coffee.

I was going to look at Ninco or Carrera barriers are they any good. Anybody have any opinions on those? Must buy some and check them out.

GeraldL. That sounds of interest. Standard O gauge track and which brand rolling stock would you use to get to 1/32? The thing is I want to see the Slot cars going around on the railway in the wagons... Would it work and will the cars fit? ie first pic on here with last years Le Mans winner.

Jim

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Trg888 ... GeraldL has a point there! Actually, I'd think narrow gauge [=smaller sized cars/wagons & locos] would fit the scenic concept better. The windling alp roads or such.

I'm no expert but I'll give you a hint. Get a copy of Railway Modeller [Peco] or a similar UK magz. They've got lots of adds for stuff like that. But my guess is that its mainly 00 [1:78 in UK] and perhaps 10% or less of the stuff is 0 [1:43] and often kits. But 0 is more popular in UK than anywhere else, I think.

I know that Peco [UK] made 0-scale track years ago. Not sure if they still do. Hornby also had some. You could also take a peek at Flea-bay>> [why they've put it under "collectables" I just don't know!]. There's a lot of track for sale a.t.m. but most seem vintage.

You might find some cheap 0-scale chassis for locos or bases for cars/wagons. If deciding for even narrover gauge, 16.5 [=H0/00 in UK, plenty of stuff to choose from, you'd get close to 2' or 600 mm track] I also know the Fleischmann Magic Train for H0 track being reliable and used for scratch-building for bigger scales. As that is perhaps what you'd have to do. Modify the stuff, up-scale it a bit. Sorry I can't give you hints on any more specific brands though.

Here's a linky to some great stuff A Virtual Narrow Gauge Exhibition>> The stuff anoted as 7 mm. is scale 0, the next ones are bigger.

So ... no need to waste money on Märklin, if you're not wading in it ... but yeah, you've got two Porsches so ... so no big deal, huh?

-- ron --

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Ron - I work near Hamleys so popped over there to have a look at the O Gauge Hornby (1:43) range and put Scalextric cars against it. To me it does not look right, car is too big and it definetly won't fit into a flat car freight wagon. Aesthetically, if it is not too close together it would be okay with the perspective. I think Graham wants to run a local commuter train on his layout and as those trains could be smaller, for that pupose should be okay. I reckon Carrera 143 would work well with O gauge.

There are cheaper alternatives than Marklin gauge 1. They also did a Maxi range (not sure if Marklin still do it) and it is about 1/3 the price. I've seen some of the Maxi stuff and it doesn't have the detail to the Gauge 1 range - more a toy than a model really. It would be okay I guess against a 60's scalextric circuit with the less detailed cars of that time... (or if I had a couple of Mondeo's). There are some other makes, Bachmann are cheaper and 1:32 but not sure if only garden use and not electric. You don't want to look at the price of a new Aster train, they are anyway meant for outside.

Let's get Pete Waterman on the line, he runs O gauge trains!

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
What does anyone think of using the standard HO gauge as a "distant track" to give perspective to the slot layout?
I know HO is really common for railroad sets so it put along the back of a layout it could force the perspective as long as the RR tracks do not come close to or cross the slot track.

Comments?

Cheers!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
I think it would work at a distance. Though on the sizes we use on slots it could be a problem as they would probably get close. HO is 1/87. I think Lionel O gauge which is 1/48 would work better. I think on O one of the narrow cars in below pic would fit on a wagon.

And the yellow ferrari takes the flag! That's me on right doing the hard work.

Anybody suggest a good 4wd with a strong magnet to climb this?

This board weights 16kg and I'm happy with the strength, 5mm ply all road with access on sides.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
when starting ,mexico i made the logical assumption that 1:48 planes would nearly be the right scale as the 1:32 cars...it was a really big mistake, when the plane kits arrived they looked tiny in comparison, which is why i had to go for the 1:43 cars.(which actually turned out to be fun but.be aware of that...i'd stick with your big guage!

sig

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I agree. A smaller scale would only work when it's far away in the distance.
But when objects are close together, you'd notice it for sure.

Fact is, trains are simply huge :)
But the effect of slotcars, track and railroad combined is great i think.
I chose Marklin Maxi (gauge 1 that is) for that reason - precisely 1:32 scale and great when cars and trains come close together, as can be seen in these pictures.

And what i liked about combining trains and slotcars: great views when filming from the train!
Can be seen here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=NL&hl=...p;v=lsfH3mG31sg

So i'd stick with Gauge 1 / Marklin Maxi when building it the way you do.
What i like about it: the disappearing / fragmentary view on the railroad, by means of tunnels, bridges etc.
That is a good trick to build it true to scale and yet save on required space.

Greetings,

Merc

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Sig - I didn't realise your cars were 1:43. Well you do a dreat job with the photography and lighting.

Merc - It looks like you set up on occassions, are you working on a permanent layout? Great video and good idea the siding meeting a hairpin bend. Are Marklin still doing the Maxi range? I recall seeing some great looking maxi Circus wagons with animals etc in them.

Jim

41 - 60 of 120 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.