SlotForum banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
Thanks guys and all good info. I do want to experiment with a router so I will do it somewhere, the viaduct section where the train will be below and the road would be a good spot, long straight bit and should be able to connect it easily to the plastic. The routed tracks do look more natural.

With the video I posted a couple of months ago the camber of the road construction in one spot sees the car loss a bit of grip as it twists. At least with the plastic I can play around with lifting or twisting once it is in final position. The problem is I can't really test the whole thing and then adjust the layout. I'm a finance guy and now need a civil engineering qualification!

I think I will solder pieces together where the boards meet and keep those free to move the boards for running repairs or adding electrics/ lighting etc. I saw one post on here where someone had even smoothly plastered or whatever he did to make it look like one piece. Braid over the scaley rails might be another idea. I don't think I will need to screw the plastic down, I will wind up trimming pieces to make it fit better and then solder it. With the looping road the curve inwards becomes tighter so in a couple of spots is not a very good fit now.

I guess I should have started something smaller but the design idea came when I decided to do something around the loft.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
I'm almost done with Board 4, more plastering and green to do. I will complete it before Xmas so I can put all of the boards into loft over the break. Not so interesting this board.

I acquired 2 x Targa Florio winners after a summer visit to Sicilly. I drove the road. What a race it must have been! The old pits area is in a sad state though. Someone should do a model and use it in there layout as it was back then.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
Assembled the 4 boards completed to date in my loft and here are some test videos.

The cars work better than my initial test and the train noises are fab. Had a couple of smashes into the train on the level crossing , have to sort our a boom gate somehow and stop the cars.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
Hey, we are all big kids on here, aren't we?

Jexy have a look on German Ebay, I think you can get a Marklin Maxi set for about 200 euros. I don't think it is digital though and the controller with the Gauge 1 is great with the sounds and the flexibility you get and it can take upto 11 different locos and will operate 300 or so track functions.

Here is another video with the bell. I want to get a Diesel loco next for the engine noise as it increases speed.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.