SlotForum banner
61 - 80 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Always temporarily layouts set up for the xmas holidays - i sadly don't have the room available for a permanent layout. (if i had, well then...)
Main concern is the fun factor: the idea is having a great (new year's) racing day when friends come to our house, loaded with drinks and food. I provide the track, they do the rest :)

Marklin Maxi went out of production in 2002 i think.
The Maxi items i bought are all second hand from Ebay and sorts, and one starter set i managed to buy as a bargain in a hobby shop that went out of business and put everything on sale.
You can find pretty good bargains on the net, but some items are real collector's items and pricy.
Quality is beyond any discussion - perfect and life lasting.
And as i said, to my taste it fits perfectly in the 1:32 slot car world.

Merc

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Board No2 is more or less complete. 9 months since I started, so 4.5 months to do a board and as I have 18 to do that is 72 months/6 years from start to completion! So should be done IF I keep going at this rate by Xmas 2015.

Will add trees and borders later and could fiddle around for a while longer but as the wife is away for a few days
I can stretch out to start Board No3. As 3 roads meet have to get those levels right and might need to adjust BoardNo2. Board No1 & 2 might go to the attic next month so have to get a move on for the connections.

Here is the stream landscaping work.

I used some of that Scenic water resin stuff which is a bit of a pain on a stream and have some fibres but haven't bothered with that yet. Gloss vanish is easier I think for a running stream

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
I really love the flow of those curves running up the climb. Top notch work!

QUOTE (Trg888 @ 24 Jun 2010, 12:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Board No2 is more or less complete. 9 months since I started, so 4.5 months to do a board and as I have 18 to do that is 72 months/6 years from start to completion! So should be done IF I keep going at this rate by Xmas 2015.

I for one am looking forward to seeing this build completed. I think it will be worth the wait!

Are you not tempted to make up all the structure just to get the track laid and run some cars round it before you get all the scenic work done? I'm not sure I would have the patience not to...

·
Gerald Lambourn
1,039 Posts
Sorry but I haven't followed up the comments that followed my post about using O gauge track, I think I have been misunderstood, the whole idea is to model metre gauge rail track not the standard gauge of 1.435m. So the rolling stock will be the correct width for 1/32 scale but you have flexibility in terms of radii and the use of short trucks and carriages. Switzerland is full of metre gauge systems but Italy has some too. The Circumvesuviana going to Sorrento from Naples and the Trento Male in the Alps spring to mind there is also the Renon tramway near Bolzano. You can find plenty of data about these systems in the usual way. Mixing scales is tricky, I model in N and 1/148th British containers don't mix with 1/160th Continental American matériel. Peco also make special narrow gauge track with differernt sleepers (ties) in various scales. Gerald Lambourn.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Leo - Thank you and that is a real compliment. I had a look at your website and will study it in more details, you are a real craftsmen!

Asjwood - I'd love to test out what I have done but I don't have all the track bits to loop back here in London at the moment. In my head I had it going in an anticlock direction and now I see that one of the gradients might be a bit steep and I might have to change to clockwise, it's no big deal if I change direction so that section becomes a climb. I have masses of track over in austria and going over next wk and will bring back some starights etc. I should have layed the road structure for board 3 by next week so atleast it will be lower down to loop back to the start of board 1. I will take some video then.

GeraldL - If that's the case then it would have been good to use O gauge track with the smaller radius I could have had 2 or 3 train loops as opposed to the 1.5ish I will get with Gauge 1. I personally would not change as Gauge 1 is pretty much standard for Garden railways, and I am also building up my collection for that purpose. It would be great to see someone else get stuck in with that and some slotcars. You sound like an expert, why don't you do it? I've been on the Circumvesuvio years ago and that would be a great landscape to model especially if one incorporates an erupting/smoking volcano!!

With the RTR Marklin rails that I have drawn on my layout I'm using 1020cm or 1200cm radius, they do have tighter radius at approx 760cm and 640cm radius but using big passenger wagons on it will most likely derail and so I am in two minds as to incorporate some of that for a freight line. I do want to use passenger wagons to run to the racetrack railstation area in my layout . The Marklin website lets you know which wagons or engines need the larger radius.
I think on Merc A.s Marklin Maxi layout the passenger wagons are smaller and can run on a tighter radius but not so sure, the passenger wagons don't look so long.

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
QUOTE (Trg888 @ 25 Jun 2010, 12:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Asjwood - I'd love to test out what I have done but I don't have all the track bits to loop back here in London at the moment. In my head I had it going in an anticlock direction and now I see that one of the gradients might be a bit steep and I might have to change to clockwise, it's no big deal if I change direction so that section becomes a climb. I have masses of track over in austria and going over next wk and will bring back some starights etc. I should have layed the road structure for board 3 by next week so atleast it will be lower down to loop back to the start of board 1. I will take some video then.

Excellent, I shall look forward to seeing a video! I also love the look of those 3 R1 bends I might have to try that out.

Al

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
So the track joins have been added on for Board 3. I didn't really like the overhanging rock with the looping road above so I decided on another tunnel and goes into it with a Rad4 section.

Below there will be a river with road and rail bridges above leading into more tunnels.

I managed to rig up a return loop using a filing cabinet draw to test this section. It runs okay in both directions even with no borders at the moment. As mostly Rad1 on this it won't be a sprint around this section!

&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6">[URL=http://www.youtube.com/v/

The car did loose traction a couple of times with the changing camber of the road, I need to experiment with the new loop added on this board 3, the outer part of the road needs to be lifted slightly on the hairpin. Thanks asjwood for asking for a test vid.
Jim

·
Registered
581 Posts
I like that the twisty nature of your track allows for more bridges, and that these are short enough to cause loads of interest while not severely impacting visibility or reachability much at all. I also think you have a great instinct for very believable and natural-looking bridges and retaining walls in relation to changes in terrain. The roads and RR track look like they "fit" in the overall landscape. Well done!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Thanks guys,

Mr F - Yes excellent to finally see a car moving on the scenery.

Gokart - With starting something like this it gives you a different way of looking at landscapes on motorways etc. I should mount a camera in the front grill to take a pic when I see something interesting like a nice bridge or interesting rock formations.

Asjwood - One hand was on the throttle and one on the iphone video app so very slow. I look forward to taking some proper footage and giving it to one my film editor mates and see what they come up with in an Avid.

Jim.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Jim, I was messing about looking through some old links and saw these guys from Germany that slice & dice plastic tracks to build custom track pieces. Pitslot

The bit that reminded me of your layout was this - hope you find the link useful.

Dave.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Thanks for that Eno. I have been looking at some HO rail gates that work and I guess one could modify that. Maybe though I should wait until I see what Graham does and copy him!

They have some great custom track adaptions also. I will email them and see what they cost.
I'm planning on cutting some R2 track bits soon for a single lane variation to what is available for Scaley.

Jim.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Here's some progress pics. I though I would add more interest to the trains and double the line in some section, so it goes into the next tunnel with a turnout. The pit lane road goes upto a villa and the tunneled road bypasses it.

I think after the villa on the next board one of the rail lines will go to a level crossing and the double lane road will cross it, so if there is a train coming the cars stop. If you take the pitlane road upto the villa which will be a more windy road you wont risk the level crossing. So that should be interesting from a race point of view. Timing wise I'm not sure how it will work.. but later on I could always add a security gate to the villa and then work it out to even up.

I'm making the bridges removable for access so I can do the river at the end.

61 - 80 of 120 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.