SlotForum banner
81 - 100 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Not only will I race non-magnet but also tinplate from 1958! I have a complete No1 set with 2 nice looking, good as new Maseratis. So new, I haven't even tried it out yet! Anyway not on this track.. it wont work with the ball mechansim as pickups.

On this track, I think non-magnet will not work well with the hillclimbs and rad 1 curves. .. Too many deslots and would drive me nuts!

After having a discussion on here a few months ago about the new powerbase (with others, including MrF - thanks by the way). I thought I would make an inner analog small conventional race circuit so not to have to worry about digital track sections changes. This will be small and gentle and good for non-magnet and those classic 60's cars. I will link it with the trains so that race fans board the train on one station (at one corner of my attic) and get out to go to the racetrack in the other corner.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Thanks Eno Dog for the tip on Pitslot. I've ordered a level crossing track and it will take 4wks to be made.
I've done a new spaghetti junction plan and the crossing will be on Board 6. I've added a rail yard where the racetrack station will be and have a footbridge going over to the analog track which I will work out later.

A bit more progress in between holidays on Board3. Finished my tunnel lighting and straws make good conduit for wiring. Road bridge is done and will start on the river soon.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
A bit more done but slow progress as too much work at the moment.

Started Board No4 so I can get the levels correct. On Board 3 Grass need a bit more work and need to do the Water. But as it joins thought I would start next board to get the grass look consistant.

I've cut some Rad 1 track and using the outer lane to join onto normal single lane track.

When this board is finished there won't be much track visible only the single lane track and the end of the board where the tunnel ends.
Most of the surface of the board will be taken up by the castle and a small creek.

Jim.

Acquired this nice looking Mercedes C32.

·
David.
1,140 Posts
Looking great so far, I like the part where the track splits into the tunnel and the single lane section and it's nice to see a plan of the whole thing, it's beginning to make allot more sense now.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Thanks there SSD. Yes it must be difficult to follow whats going on here with only seeing sections.

These 2 boards anyway are a bit boring. I'm looking forward to doing the next ones with the station and loop after the level crossing. It will be a bit difficult to do it in 2 4ft x 2ft sections with a lot happening in the middle. Maybe I will have to start it as a 4ft x 4ft, do the tracks to get the levels right and then chop it in half to get it up the loft hatch.

·
David.
1,140 Posts
Any news on the level crossing, now that could be interesting, every one seems to be using bridges nowadays.
Hold on, they don't make level crossings, that's why everyone uses bridges, once its been made, produce more of them and start a business, level crossing,great idea!

·
Registered
39 Posts
TRG,
This is some amazing stuff. I've decided thanks to you that I want to do the same thing (rail and road). The only problem is that I don't have a train set. I would love to get something 1/32 scale but it's a very confusing scale and Marklin is WAY out of my budget. Do you or anyone else know of a more affordable 1/32 set out there that would be a good fit? I like what you said about your slot cars looking good on the right size flatbed train.

cenglish

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
SSD - I'm still waiting for the level crossing track, I emailed pitslot again today and haven't heard back. Will post a pick when I get it.

Cenglish - Great. When the idea came to me a few years ago to combine cars and trains I joined the Gauge 1 society, it's worldwide (gauge 1 is 1:32). It costs about £30 a year and the magazines have good info but mostly geared to live steam. There are cheaper bits you can get like rails etc but I haven't seen sets other than the Marklin Maxi stuff which is discontinued. I've seen sets go for about 150 euros on ebay. Some of the Maxi stuff is not so detailed though.

The marklin gauge 1 starter set I got for 800 euros direct from germany which is a lot less than they sell it in the UK (£1,300!). As it is big you don't need that much of it and the set has the digital controller etc. They weren't making a starter set for a couple of years and only released the current one in July. When I started my model building I only had a few bits of track and a wagon to lay out the size. Where are you US? German ebay sometimes has a few bargains.

Jim

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Hi all -

firstly, Jim i too have quietly been watching and enjoying your progress - beautiful work.

I am working on designs for a combined slot and rail diorama (errr series of ...) as well.

Mine is also in 1/32 - but being set in '50s / '60s midwest america to best suit the landscape i grew up in
(central canada actually but quite the same)

anyhow - i am doing a small city center hodgepodge and am also using 1/32 scale trains - as has likely been mentioned here and elsewhere ... g or garden scale has a very wide scale range - from about 1:22 to limited 1:32 - much in 1:24 - 1:28

to the best of my knowledge current 1:32 is available from MTH and of course Marklin. USA trains has some 1:28 and Aristocraft also has some 1:28

many have mentioned they feel they can use smaller train scale and it works to their eye - for me i prefer it at the 1 gauge (1:32) or some of the 1:28 looks ok too

i have an MTH 1/32 Hudson Steam Locomotive - and had planned on placing many of my slot cars in tow on USA tains autocarriers and flat cars - it looks neat - but the autocarriers are a tad too big for my eye ... so i am getting read to build some correct scale Evans Auto Loaders that will look much nicer.

at any rate i am now rambling and did not mean to hijack this wonderful thread! but you can look up RailKing 1 Gauge (that is the MTH line - locos are pricey but not as much as Marklin - quantity as with all g scale is limited and slow to come out too).

to consider - i am also working with some neat n scale track (kato) and small n trains set up intermingled with the 1/32 cars and trains - the n scale has a custom engineer that sits on the loco and it looks like a 'ride along' train that are popular out there in parks and gardens for kiddie rides

pics on that in some other threads as it progresses

very curious to see your crossing piece when it is done too Jim - and again very very nice work!!

regards, Ron

·
Registered
25 Posts
Looks like a very beautiful track, almost as though you might like the scenery and building more than the cars. I, too, spend far more time scratch building chassis', painting cars, and working on scenery then I ever do driving. But only cause I love to add my own two cents would I ever suggest building the whole track and then filling in the scenery only after you're happy with the course. Seeing that you are not building and playing in the same location i can understand why your doing it modular style. Nonetheless, keep up the great work, we all love the progress.

WBArthur

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Thanks guys and great info there Manitou. Have you got some pics on here?

I finally got the level crossing track today. Very neat looking job by Erwin of Pitslot and thanks to Eno for mentioning him. (and also great reason to be on here for feedback and ideas!).
I will try and layout the tracks on the weekend and see how it connects.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
trg888 - that is brilliant - is that marklin rail track?

can you pm me some info on the chap who did it ... and what it cost? am curious

my planned layout is a small urban city 'downtown' and has a crossing where that type of
set up would be perfect

will see if i can dig up a pic or two as well

look forward to seeing more updates on your track as well

cheers, Ron

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
ok, just a grab of some pics from a year or two ago ... hmmm time flies ...

not meaning to hijack your great thread - just thought others with slot/train interests might find
these useful as i know the info and items can be hard to sort through with the limited production and range of scales in garden train items

1/32 railking 1 gauge mth hudson 4-6-4 steam loco

1/28 aristocraft box car and doodlebug beyond - sitting on aristocraft rails - larger height same width as the marklin (it is nicer and more scale in appearance in my opinion)

some 'shorty flat cars' - not sure of scale 1/28? or even a bit larger? can't recall manufacturer - lgb telephone poles in rear -
i plan to wire some up with some birds on - they are nice for north american scenes - not sure about euro ?

n scale steam loco (model power?) on kato track system - for a fun 1/32 'ride along' kiddee ride type train
the 'shriner' engineer has been waiting too long for a resin recast cloning - hopefully soon
this one will be fun to do - i can add alot of n scale sidings and switchings etc in and around my 1/32 diorama -
a mini game if you will within the larger system - there are some very well known 'time saver'
switching and shunting puzzles - i plan to incorporate one, along with a mini turntable turnabout etc etc etc

n scale cars experimental lash up in tow

hodge podge with some usa trains auto loaders (claim 1/28 but i think a bit larger ...)

usa trains auto loader

usa trains auto loader top view - too wide in my opinion ... will scratch my own evans auto loaders

cheers all - have found this thread inspiring to conitnue on with my 'smallville' combined road / rail diorama too

regards, Ron

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Great photos - I like that double decker auto loader! USA trains is it? - I will have a search on the web. I've been trying to find something like that.

Eno Dog told me about pitslot they make all sorts of custom plastic bits. http://www.pitslot.de/ and Erwin at pitslot - [email protected] used a 300mm Marklin track with a full Scaley straight. It cost 90euros including the shipping.

Jim.

·
David.
1,140 Posts
Thanks for the update, that level crossing looks great, cant wait to see how it looks on your layout.

81 - 100 of 120 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.