SlotForum banner

New Slot & Train combined Layout under Construction

33K views 119 replies 40 participants last post by  Mr. Olufsen 
#1 ·
I wish I had looked on here 7 months ago before I started building my track! There is some fanstastic info and pics on here and many very talented modellers on here. Thanks to you all and I hope you don't mind me taking bits that inspire me from here.

Anyway here are my efforts... My track will eventually go into my loft in my house in Austria which is 15ft square with a central hatch for access. I'm building the boards in my London flat on 4ft x 2ft boards and part finished 1st and started on the 2nd. Given that I have to transport them 600 miles and get them into the loft this the max size I can do. Conservatory area is getting a bit full in my flat!!

This 1/32 scale rail curve has a radius of just a bit over 1 metre So these 2 boards together make a corner of the loft.

Given this has taken me 7 months. I estimate completion late 2016!!

See less See more
#4 ·
Great detailing Trg888. Looking forward to seeing what else you can come up with.

I gather, having to break it down into regular modules, requires a lot of planning ahead.

So far so good.
Embs

#5 ·
Thanks. Yes have to plan a few boards away especially as the railway is on the rise and will be passed underneath by another train. It can only rise by about 6% and has to clear 7 inchs about 6 feet away from here

Having been to Amalfi a few times that is the inspiration, although no trains there.

So that road viaduct or whatever was what I modelled.

I'm planning on using 2 pitstop tracks next to each other so that 2 lanes become 4 and 2 of the lanes wizz around Amalfiland and the other 2 form a conventional racetarck and then join up half way around. I shall do a drawing and post on here next day or two.

Jim.

#13 ·
Perthor - I intend to put a bit of the Military rd on the Isle of wight into it. Some whitish paint on cork would look good for the cliffs along there. But not many tunnels here.. so I will use some inspiration from the Austrian lake area, were there are many.

Here is my loft plan with the two boards I'm working on in bottom corner.

The space is square, not sure why it got a bit squashed on loading here. I can go outside the boarded area for a loop back on the trains. The racetrack area I'm undecided on but there is plenty of ideas on here to borrow from!! I will try my hand at a routed track in the village area - some time next year I reckon.

Anybody know of a decent track designer software?? The Scalextric free one is pretty crap.

Jim

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi Trg888/Jim .. Great start to a track!

As your space is squarish and the track in modules, why not try different scenic settings for each corner? As perthor noted, UK .. Isle of Wight, huh? .. how's a bit of Welsh gravelstage in one corner? Dusty Greek roads in another? The italian setting of course is already there. Four corners of Europe, perhaps?

If you're on PC for Track Designers, the mostly used here I think is TrackPower>> .. Great little program but for a fee. But you won't regret it!
SlotMan>> is a freeware .. Good for starters & editable. No digi/off-set pieces though.
UltimateRacer 3.0>> is also a freeware. Might be suited nicely as it's also editable. Both SlotMan and UR allow you to do your own track-part-libraries. BUT UR allows you also to make off-set [digi] pieces, or model-railroad turnouts and such. And texture them! I did some model-rail-part-library into my UR. [not sure if I saved them]

Take a peek at those. And just give a shout if you want some guidance ..

-- ron --

#17 ·
Hi Jim,
That's a pretty impressive layout you have under construction. I like the idea of having a railway mixed with the car track.
I have a North American outline garden railway in my backyard and have toyed with the idea of putting in a Carrera track
alongside. Probably not practical. I'll be watching your progress eagerly.
Regards,
Bob

#19 ·
Hi Jim,
The trains I'm running are mostly modern era 1/29 scale from Aristo-Craft and USA Trains with some compatible LGB. Although the trains are halfway btween 1/25 and 1/32 scales, the 32nd scale vehicles look better in scale with them. My son has been asking me to make a grade (level) crossing like the old Aurora track and I have no idea if it's possible. It would be cool 'though. If I did run slots outdoors it would have to be a wireless walkaround so Carrera is the only option. Right now my Scalextric analog slot track is indoors and measures about 6 ft by 14 ft.
Regards,
Bob

#20 ·
Hi Bob,

A level crossing is a great idea! A train passing a switch could set of a bell and lower a boom on the road and then somehow it cuts the power to a a couple of pieces track near the crossing which could be independently powered so car then stops. Were you thinking off something like that?
Maybe also that new Scalextric digital powerbase that is coming out soon with ghost cars etc can be programmed with something like that.

Jim.

#22 ·
Well Bob, let me know if you work out something with that, we can copyright it then!

A bit more progress on my layout with the Tunnel mouth and the Barriers on the bridge.

I used aluminium tubing on the barriers, it looks good I think. As I've got the train clearance and a car track above that with clearance I couldn't really use a stone bridge arch, well it could defy miniature gravity I guess!! So used a motorway style concrete inspired bridge.

Thanks to some tips from Frank T and Graham Lane, I have wired up my first LED lights under the bridge using a resistor to 12v. Maplin shop asst advise is pretty shocking and had to look on the internet for wiring instructions.

Jim

#26 ·
Jim,
Your project is beautiful. Thank you for sharing it with us.

My only thought about the auto layout is that it is a very twisty section. The aesthetics are gorgeous, but for driving enjoyment you may want to balance it with some easier stretches when you plan other parts of your layout. It's fun to drive twisty, technical sections, but the mind needs breaks from the intense focus. It's also enjoyable to watch the cars stretch their legs a bit, if you know what I mean.

Of course, if your goals are primarily aesthetic and not much concerned about the driving experience, then ignore my comments entirely. We'll all enjoy the view!

Keep up the lovely work, and keep us posted. Very nice!
Phil

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.