Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All!

Ive had my analouge scaley set for awhile now and got a few cars and thought it was the ducks guts. Well I did untill I had a go of forum member Roadkills Digital track (Pandemonium Park - Thread Morning All - Tracks and scenery) That track just blew me right out of the water.
Two reasons
One. He was running SSDC on the APB and the amount of variables is amazing. Fuel loads etc were brilliant and seeing your fuel useage after the race was great. The lap time on his monitor was much much better than the scaley lcd board.

Two. The track was built for racing, and it didnt take me long to get a "feel" for the track which turned out into a few great races. Sweeping corners for carrying speed, a few tight sections and a sneaky little dogleg straight behind the grandstand
6 cars will be having great battles around here!

So I was off to find a SSD setup, talk about $$$ The APB was definately packaged as a upgrade from the 4 car powerbase. So if you didnt already have a digi setup get ready for the wallet moths to strike haha
I was looking at around $850-900AUS to get setup with everything for 6 cars.

I saw the Platinum set coming out but one of the hobby shops I goto said it was a xmas release and it was to be $900AUS!
I put one on preorder (at another shop closer to home) as it came with everything I needed and I could expand my track at the same time, their price $780! Brilliant. Its getting closer to pickup (oct 14th) and im getting excited!

Then I noticed that the SSD can only run cars with standard motors. I have a few lemans cars running the blue can motors (30K I think) yes I know blue can is overkill but they have very strong magnets and I like on demand power slides and spending money on tires
thats what slots are for aint it? So can I just drop in the Slot.it SSD chip into these? or are they stuck on analouge?

Sorry for the long post but you guys get the picture now!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 4 lane digital 135 ft track with the SSDC with the abp - C7042 and run from 25K motors up to 40K, it runs great, and I must say having the fuel rate burn and pitting adds dimensions 3rd-7th with regards to the racing experience. Completely different strategy. Running with out it would be like going from color to black and white.

Regards

Greg

·
Registered
96 Posts
Not sure about the Slot.it cars, but it sounds like Greg has proved the point. Good to know, I can't wait to upgrade my Slot.it cars with bigger motors. However, I was advised from Hornby not to upgrade past the standard 18k motors in the SSD cars, because the chips will burn out.

·
Premium Member
5,717 Posts
From my experience pushing the scaly chips beyond a 20k motor is risky, I have used the slot.it chips in cars with 30k motors, I tried the 46k and just ended up with a very cool realistic blow out after a few laps ;-).

So, welcome to digital and have tons of fun

·
Greg Gaub
14,638 Posts
More power for analog racing makes sense, since you're racing against the clock more than other cars. They're really just racing against the clock at the same time. In digital racing, car power makes so much less difference that it would be simply stupid to race a magnet car at that much power against cars of lesser power. You'd be smashing through them all, and it would be a farce rather than a race. Small differences, however, make little difference, because when cars are of equal power and setup, it's the driving that wins the race.

Still, if you rally want power, you can replace the diodes and mosfets to make a more robust chip. You can also have this done by someone like gmyers who offers a service to upgrade chips based on the RichG research. Really, you'd only need one or two of these, because it won't be long for you to realize that the fun is in even and fair racing, not just FAST racing. If you're good with a fine tip soldering iron, you can do the mods yourself, too.

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
.....and you are limited by the speed at which you are able to hit a lane changer without having to slow down, which is around an 18k standard motor which is why a lot of 25k motors need to run at 10-12V on digital.

Rick

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll try the Slotit chips see how they go.
Mr F my plan was to run an endurance type event with different classes running together (LMP and GT) so it would be interesting. There would have to be some sort of agreement like GT cars are relegated to the inside lane down the main straight or something to try and prevent the carnage.

I am looking forward to chipping my V8 supercars and getting some nascars for some hardbody action

1 - 8 of 8 Posts