SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello everyone!

Getting back into slots after 30, well, 40 years (had a nice TCR setup as a child). I used Autorennbahn Planner to put this together from some other designs I found online, but I'm thinking I'm missing some important track elements. I've got a decent amount of space to use and wanted to do something without elevation to start.

Some questions:

Good layout for beginners?

Does the pit look practical?

All comments and feedback welcome!

Cheers!

P.S. I think I posted this in the wrong section of the forum...apologies (hopefully the moderator can move it).

·
Greg Gaub
14,787 Posts
Looks like a good start. I'd suggest two things right off the bat.

1 - Make the pit lane longer, if possible. Move the start grid piece to being parallel to the pit lane, and move the exit to where that piece currently is, so that the pit lane can be one piece longer.

2 - Move the double lane changer on the far right, just before the last turn, down at least one piece. Having it right after the turn makes it more likely that sliding cars will miss the sensor and won't change lane. An annoyance when you need to get into the pit lane right away.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Made the pit and cross over corrections and took out some shoulders. I considered doing a curving pit entry but I wanted to save on infield space.

With respect to the shoulders shown--appropriate use? Better to have guardrails in some locations?

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Shoulders are preferred if you have the room and budget for them.

You probably could change a few things to reduce the amount of 1/4 and 1/3 pieces which will save on cost and reduce the resistance caused by track connections a little bit as well as less joins for a smoother ride.

Will you have access to all sides for replacing cars when they have deslotted? You might need to use a gripper stick or some kind of extended car retrieval implement (have even seen an egg flip taped to the end of a broom or even a hockey stick, whatever gets the job done)

The (x2 R4/15???) pieces at the end of pit/start straight, I would probably change out for a more staggered closing corner rather than into the R1 straight from R4, might be more enjoyable to roll off the thottle and transition into the turn.

Generally, you may find a few things you may want to change up after a week or so of use, so try not to get too fixated on the outcome without trying it first. Enjoy the process.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the inputs!

I swapped out a bunch of the unnecessary 1 30 pieces for 1 60s (of which I had unused extras, oddly enough). Oops!

As far as access goes, I'll have access in the top left and all across the bottom, so I'm hoping not to have too many difficult reaches.

Next up is trying to figure out the power requirements for the layout--it says it's a tad over 16 meters as it sits.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Picked up all the lumber for the track yesterday--looking forward to putting the decks together. I've included final plan superimposed on the room (the red area is my hobby bench). Final table dimension is 335 cm x 220 cm.

I'm using some unnecessarily good 4x8 3/4 ply and 1x4s for reinforcement framing under the tables. If I don't use it for track, I can hide under it in the event of earthquakes.

In place of legs, I'm planning to use six 2 x 2 storage cubes, 30" x 30" x 15", two per table, placed toward the ends of the three tables (which will help with storage). For additional support in the middle of each table I'm going to use some adjustable steel table legs. I'm still working out how to attach the tables together in a way I can take down quickly (was thinking some window sash locks or toggles).

Note: my wife is still supportive of the effort...and has expressed interest in doing some of the scenery for me. Win!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
It's fun isn't it!

How many R2, R3, R4 do you have available?

I have some ideas to smooth a few things out but will need a little bit of time before I can post it up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've got a good supply of most turns available:

8 R1 60

24 R 1 30

6 R 2 30

6 R 3 30

12 R 4 15

Note...I could probably use a few more R2 and R3 30s. I'll likely pick those up regardless.

Thanks for the smoothing help! Putting the table together over the next week!

B

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update: the first phase of the Barn Door Motor Speedway is complete (tables completed, first version of the track down). Happy with it so far, but I've already started thinking about the next phase of track development. Big news items:

1) I can't say that I love putting on the borders.

2) My wife busted the wing off my BMW M4 DTM. I'll use that to my advantage later...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts