SlotForum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to building and modifying, I was hoping someone can point me in the right direction. First off this is just for fun with me and my son. Im building a 1971 Nissan Skyline with a brass chassis, parma d16 9 tooth pinon gear and im going to install it as a sidewinder. I picked out bwa wheels and they run 1/8 axles, Im having difficult time finding a spur gear for 1/8 axles, i saw yhe for 1/24 cars put i was not sure if that will be the wrong diameter. Again im new to this so it might be a stupid question oh also the track is carrera

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Parma make 1/8 bore spur gears in 48 pitch - they mesh nicely with the 9 tooth 48 pitch pinons that come with most Parma 16d motors.
They are normally used with an angle-winder motor position, that might be the easiest solution.
Parma's web site lists spurs up to 34t - I don't think that's big enough for a full sidewinder 16d unless you cut slot in the motor for axle clearance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can I mount the motor higher so the shaft is higher than the axle centerline, or lower. Also what is the best way to set the depth of the mesh, i have heard some use tissue paper to set the gap.

·
Tony
2,834 Posts
If you are going with a sidewinder you can pretty much mount the motor where you want to, but an angle winder has to be more or less mounted with the motor shaft at the same level as the axle. However Slot.It do make anglewinder gears that allow an offset. THe old adage about setting up gears is to put a *** paper between the pinion and gear push together and lock in place. Remove *** paper.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Hy Rssuby, first is it a 1/24 or 1/32 scale your building. if its 1/24 pm me and i,ll send you some gears. its usual to have the motor lower in a 1/24 to get the cog down because of the big wheels. you wont get a motor mount for a 16d. only the germans sell a brkt for this size motor. let us know what scale it is. then we can put you on the right path for suppliers. as Big T said a *** paper is the usual method. john

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its a 1/32 car, yea after i wrote my post, dosnt make sence to but the motor higher and screw up the center of gravity, i was planing on making a motor mount if needed, let me know who has the
Also what is the difference in the gears for tje 1/24 are they a bigger diameter?

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
A piece of plastic bag between the gears. Works for me.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
my srare gears wouldn,t be any use, there 1/24, bigger dia. you could use 64pitch gears and pinion. available from ken o racing[2554taken]] on us ebay. dead cheap. the motor brackets are on pendles site in the 1/24 spares. £10 for the pair. once youve had a look, buy some 20-20-1.5mm angle and make your own, its on ebay uk 500mm long bits cost less than a fiver inc P&P. cut a motor size oblong out of your brass base and take your motor mount measurements from there. the motor should be flush with the base. if its for a home track aim for 2mm at least ground clearance. and put tape on the bottom of the chassis to stop any shorting if it touches the rail. i use .015mm stickyback teflon tape, but selotape will work. if you want to use the 9t 48p pinion and the 16D aim for at least a 3.5-1 ratio. the nearest size to achieve it is with a 32t gear. any make should mesh with your pinion unless its metric, ie 32m. and you,l need at least a 5 amp power supply[switching-regulated] available on ebay from china for about 13 quid. their good and they last, and you wont get power surges to the other lane when the other car comes off. by the way thats a good tip mike, never thought of it, but i,ll give it a go on all metal setups where you need a bees dick of clearance. john

1 - 8 of 8 Posts