SlotForum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! A friend of mine just recently got me into slot cars, have a local track pretty close by, and as far as hobby's go i think its something i can actually afford lol. I just recently moved into a house so i have a lot of space in my basement to play with. At this point i'm torn between a wood track and plastic, both having their advantages and disadvantages. Over all i have about a 20' by about 4' maybe 5'. my take is that i could build a wood track that could utilize all of that space, prolly for about half the price of a plastic track, but it is also permanent. I could also by a digital starter track and upgrade as i please, and be able to change things when i get bored. right now i'm leaning towards a scalextrics track. But anyway i just wanted to introduce myself, and get some input from others, i'm sure everyone is in this boat when they are starting out! Thanks!

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Hi and Welcome to the forum

Where are you located ? as you might find some more members close to you

See here for our hybrid digital and routed track best of both worlds

Michael

·
Premium Member
2,709 Posts
Welcome!

My wife got me a Scalextric set for my birthday six years ago and I was hooked....again. As a kid I ran routed tracks. Last year I started a routed track and it is so much better. Bottom line - go for wood. All you need is some sort of a table, a couple of sheets of MDF, a cheap router, copper tape and a power supply.

It is much cheaper than plastic and it is really not that permanent. You can toss it out or sell it and start over.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've got a Ninco track a while ago. Now it is expanded. I got a couple of friends to join the fun. Since i live in a small place, i'm glad i can take apart the track. I'm into rally, so we make a different track everytime and just use the roundabout kit at each track extremity. We enjoy building the track together every time.

Never raced on wood but i like the idea of a different track every racing night.

·
Greg Gaub
15,387 Posts
Each type has advantages, as you know.
Not that I want you to spend more, but as a relative newbie to slots, you might find that the perfect layout doesn't come right away. It's a lot easier to tweak plastic than wood. Eventually, you learn what elements you like best, and can formulate the ideal wood track, or even a smoothed out copy of the plastic track you finally settle one. And guess what? You can sell the plastic track. Oh sure, it won't fetch what you paid, but you will have gotten a lot of value out of it already. Selling a wood track is especially hard unless you have friends with the same space wanting to fill it up.

As a huge fan of digital, I'll never tell anyone not to get a digital starter set and add to it. some places are even selling a new "upgrade" kit that comes with the APB instead of the less satisfying 4 car base. There are many examples of routed digital tracks already online, and more popping up each month. I think digital is more fun than analog, but I do enjoy analog quite a bit. Ideally, a routed digital track with analog ability would be ideal, and is something that I plan to work toward myself.

Either way, you're bound to have a lot of fun building your track and running cars on it. So, welcome to SlotForum, and have fun!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts