SlotForum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to slot cars and was wondering if it's just me or are these little cars incredibly fragile. I purchased a Ninco set and within hours; first the wheels come off, then the motor pops out, next the chassis cracks (mostly at the rear bushes). Now when I get a new car, the wheels come off and are replaced with alu rims, the bush get glued-in and the motor get taped before I even run the car. Is the normal?

·
René 'Vialli' Christensen
4,861 Posts
Well, it sure sounds like you're running your cars very hard - and with magnets!
You always get bigger crashes running with magnets. Pull the magnets out and use some weight (not much, just 5-10 gram the right places) and learn how to drive the cars.
This is racingcars - not stockcars!

I got more than 80 cars and unly one car has a broken chassis after 4 years!

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I run with magnets. I have only had engines pop out on club tracks, and the only major damage to a slot car was when a lamp fell on it! Sorry to hear about the damage your cars have suffered - are they falling from a height onto concrete? It does not sound normal, although taping engines and glueing bushes in is a good habit to get into.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK then it's out with the magnets. A mention was made about strategically placing additional weight in the car... Where?

PS no concrete floors and walls were involved in the destruction of the little cars, just some hard racing by some over 40's. Figure the cars will last 10 minutes (from out the box) with 10yr old kid.

·
Matt Tucker
3,560 Posts
They should last longer than that but I always do the following preventative measures with my car before running them so that I don't get problems in the future:
Glue/tape motor in
glue rear bushing in
glue rims to axles - unless very secure (don't get glue in to the bushes)
oil bushes and motor

For gluing I mainly use araldite or impact adhesive. Having to add alluminium rims to all your cars is really unecessary if all you are doing is racing at home and using magnets.

If you take the magnets out true the rear wheels (run the car backwards lowering it on some medum grit sandpaper) and add some weight up by the guide (to keep the guide in the slot) and maybe infront of the rear wheels - experiment

Matt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.