SlotForum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Okay, this is my first post here.

I'm new to slot cars & I have just picked up a load of used Scalextric Sport track & cars.

List of my kit

9 used cars:
Dodge Charger DPR (Dukes of Hazzard/General Lee)
Porsche Boxter Super Resistant DPR
Nissan 350Z Super Resistant Drift (x3)
Lamborghini Gallardo SR DPR
Ford GT (x2)

2 brand new cars:
Nissan GT-R SR Drift

Track:
C8217 Sports Powerbase (4)
C8205 Standard Straights (30)
C8264 Side swipe (4)
C8207 Half Straights (10)
C8206 Radius 2 curves (40)
C8203 Radius 2 racing curves (4)
C8210 Standard Crossover (2)
C8295 Elevated Crossover (2)

its about 90 ft of track. surprisingly all the track is working, some needing a little clean.

I need someone to help me with designing my layout.

·
Premium Member
5,504 Posts
Heya welcome to our little world

I would use a track designer program or at least let us know what space you have to fit the track,
that way people can help you better.

Still need to get a General Lee.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Silly me. I have a 6ft x 9ft space @ the moment but that will change onece the loft conversion is complete.

What free track designer programs can people recomend?
I have tried using the free program from Scalextric but it keeps crashing on me.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi Jaak! oops, don´t say that on a plane...

Welcome to the forum!
I´m quite new too the hobby too, and I spend lot´s of time thinking about a layout and playing around with a designer program too. You will find very kind people here that give a lot of usefull feedbacks.

Forget the Scaley program, it doesn´t work - at least not for me. I tried Slotman (freeware) and Trackpower (which is not free to use) and decided to buy the program.

You do have a lot of track, at least you don´t have to buy more straights. But I guess you have to buy some different curves (R3 and R4) to combine them with your existing R2 in order to build an interesting layout.

I would like to post a link (I hope it´s not a kind of forbidden advertising) where you can find some nice ideas for a space 9 x 5. Maybe you find something that you like. http://www.electricdreams.com/Slot-Car-Col...cific-purposes/

Have fun!

Markus

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm thinking of selling some of the Standard Straights & Radius 2 curves to fund different radius curves.

That's one of the reasons I need someone to help me plan my track. I need to know what to keep & what to sell.

I've told myself I wont spend any more cash on this unless its to go digital.

Incidently, how much should I have paid for he above kit?

Some of the cars have mirrors & rear wings missing, but all work perfectly
(Forgot to mention, it also came with a Benz SLR Black DPR)

·
Damien Straw
562 Posts
Hi,

I use 'Ultimate Racer' or UR3.0 track design software and really like it. I am quite a newbie myself. What I did was start trying different Radii curves and combinations over time to see what I liked and what worked well or not. I first bought a set and added some R3's, tried those with and without the R2's. Then bought some R1's and later some R4's etc... As I tested making different tracks in the lounge I worked on my design and let it evolve that way. I have had to then purchases the extra track pieces as necessary but I have a design I really like now.
I think it is best this way as you get what YOU like, not just what someone else does. We all have different ideas on the perfect set-up.

Good luck!

Damo.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I were to go digital whitch one of the following power bases would I need to get?

or

What are the main differences between the two?

Thank for the help guys

·
Prof I T
11,176 Posts
hi
the top one power's 4 cars only or should i say is supposed to,it's a peice of carp to be honest.

The latter one is designed to run 6 cars and with some modifying can be turned into a very good powerbase with the capacity to be used with a pc for race management duties.

In standard trim it again struggles to power reliably any amount of cars,with interaction being a big let down,one car de slots and all the others get a speed boost wich usually means more deslots.

To get it modded into top spec will see the price nearly equal to that of a new C7042 apb wich is the one you really want,proper power from the word go and pc connectivity ready as well.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
As mentioned : Get a new C7042 apb wich is the one you really want,proper power from the word go and pc connectivity ready as well.

·
Prof I T
11,176 Posts
hi
the C7042apb does not come with any psu's or throttles. Most people have opted to use Toshiba laptop psu's as they are a lot cheaper then the Scaley offerings..

Mmm,the 4 car pb is supplied in sets to keep the price attractive.

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
The short answer is .......... no

Cars fitted with Scalextric Digital chips can be run on either digital or analogue powerbases ........ standard analogue cars make a strange noise if placed on a digital track to warn you that you are just about to loose your powerbase in a cloud of smoke

One of the reasons why the C7042 costs a little bit more is that you can choose to run in either analogue or digital and it can deliver sufficient power to run 6 cars simultaneously .......

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What do you guys store the track that you are not using in?

I've been looking @ storage boxes but would like advice/opinions on what others use

·
Premium Member
2,292 Posts
Hi Sid

Of course I would have to promote my own layout as being an efficient use of space and great fun to use. Like you I got back into slot cars last year and developed my track within the space available (10' x 5') according to test sessions and events with friends and family.

http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?...61418&st=30

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.