SlotForum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I've just purchased a digital slot car set for my son's birthday. It's next week so I can't get it out and try it out so I have a few questions.
I got a Scalextric Triple cup with three cars and 4 user controller with about 4 metres of track. The supplier also through in another car and controller for nothing cause I spent a fair bit of extra money on the set.
I also purchased more track and an extension and bits and pieces so it takes the track to about 7.5 metres.

Is the four car power base strong enough to handle 7.5 m track?

What is the timing of the red/green light sequence on the pit lane game? ie how long does it take for it to turn green again after turning red?

How does the digital lap counter actually work as I got no instructions in the package (which I purchased separately)

Are cars really hard to come off with magnets ie can you go around R1 curves fast?

Thanks for looking.
Colin

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Hi and welcome,

That's a pretty good set to start with,

Depending on how many cars you are running the 4 car base may struggle a little. If only 2 or 3 it will be fine

If you have the receipt for the lap counter I would say taking it back and put the cost of it towards the 6 car base.

As the 6 car base does lap counting for you, so need for the counter, also if you really get into this then it also connects to a PC for full race managment control

Some tips for setting up the track

Basically you want to make sure you get a good connection between each section of track, with it being new you should be OK
But one it has been up and taken down this will help Making sure the electric keeps flowing

Even with magnets the cars will struggle with R1's at any speed - also the troble with magnets is when they let go of the track the cars get launched, so I hope you have got some you don't mind breaking lol

One point with digital is you need to make sure you keep the braids neat and tidy - this is a must

Enjoy and have fun - and don't panik when things go wrong it's all easily fixed

and one last thing if you add your location then you may find you may be near some other slotters
or even a club or two

Michael

·
Greg Gaub
15,415 Posts
Heya, Colin! Welcome to SlotForum!

What Michael said.

As for the Pit Lane Game, the Green lasts for probably 10 seconds, while the red lasts a good 30 or so. I think it's supposed to be somewhat random, but the red is almost always longer than green. On a short track, though, it won't be a problem running through on green if you're paying attention.

The 6 car base adds so much to the game that it really is worth the price. Getting a refund on the lap counter and applying that to the 6 car base is a great idea. A very useful function in the 6 car base, especially for newbies, is the ability to limit power on a car-by-car basis. You'll be able to reduce the power to your son's car to help him stay on the track better. As Michael said, though, R1s are a challenge. To me, they're a GREAT challenge, and I love them. To some, they are a hindrance because they like to not slow down so much. ;-) I'm sure you'll find that out soon enough, and can take it out if needed, then put it back in later when you both get better.

I'll repeat Michael's reassurance about any problems. No system is perfect, so when something pops up, just come back here and post, and we'll help you out. You might find some questions are better asked in the SSD-specific forum, but they'll get answered anywhere.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is what I'm planning to do. I just about have all the track so far.

Any issues with this layout anyone with a bit more experience can see? Is this even posted in the right place?
Please forgive me if it isn't.
For starters I have decided to keep the four car power base. I just wont add any more track switches.
Maybe latter I'll add a new 6 car power base if my son decides to do this hobby with me.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
It looks OK,

But as it is plastic put it down and give it a go, the best way to find out, as what you like someone else will hate

One thing if it was me is I would put the hair pin closer to the base, as that is where the most crashes will be

So near the base it will be more easy to get to

Michael

·
Circuit Owner
5,925 Posts
Hello and welcome to SlotForum.

Lucky boys!

I agree with what has been said. But you are right - stick with the 4 car base until you are sure the bug has bitten you.

The 4 car base will easily handle 7.5m of track - the link posted earlier to the brilliant article on track maintenance is definitely worth following - it does make a difference.

The 15v 4 amp transformer will power the 4 standard Scalextric cars that you have (they would have made it a 3 car base if it couldn't!)

The only thing you may find is that, when 4 cars are racing full tilt, if a car deslots it tends to make a bit more power available to the other 3 and they all get a little boost that can often be enough to send them spinning off as well!

Race strategy 1 - run on 3/4 throttle within the limit and wait for everybody else to come off at least until they get better at driving.
Race strategy 2 - wait until your car is very close to you and the other 3 are on the far side of the track. Deslot on purpose. Reslot quickly and carry on whilst the others scramble to get their cars back on the track!!! (Kidding!!!)

Seriously - if the bug does bite you then the best thing you can do is get the 6 car apb with its twin transformers (or look at RikoRocket's APB power upgrade thread for a very cheap way to be able to add a mega power supply) and link it to PC based race management software - it steps it all up another level - but if you don't get the bug it will be a waste of hard-earned dollars.

It took me about 2 months to contract a serious case of slotcarobsessionitis so start saving - you haven't got long!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (Mr Modifier @ 16 May 2012, 01:54) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Seriously - if the bug does bite you then the best thing you can do is get the 6 car apb with its twin transformers (or look at RikoRocket's APB power upgrade thread for a very cheap way to be able to add a mega power supply) and link it to PC based race management software - it steps it all up another level - but if you don't get the bug it will be a waste of hard-earned dollars.

It took me about 2 months to contract a serious case of slotcarobsessionitis so start saving - you haven't got long!

You need 2 power transformers? Can I use the one supplied with the 4 Car base and just buy the 6 pb and another transformer, or do I need to buy the 6 pb and two transformers?

·
Greg Gaub
15,415 Posts
The one for the 4 car base can be one of the two for the 6 car base. There are also alternatives to the Scalextric branded PSUs, which are IMHO, overpriced. When you get to that point, we'll help you out. The answer is in the C7042 instructional threads post in the SSD forum, though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Okay. Got the track working. Works well with 2 cars. But any more and the PSU struggles. 4 cars and it's really bad (cars often slow down together for no reason which means there is a drop in current or something)
I think it's the dinky PSU supplied with the set. I am buying a 24 V 15A bench PSU with the right connectors to use with the Scaletrix I'll just set it at 15V and not change it. I'm guessing the extra power will sort out the current drop issues. Also I can turn the power output down under yellow flag conditions while someone is off the track and put it back to 15v when everything is right again.

Here it is (only I'm getting it $40 cheaper lol)
http://www.batterydoctor.com.au/store/inde...;product_id=898

One thing I have noticed is that sometimes the cars lose their assigned digital number and corresponding controller. What causes this as I could see this becoming a real issue while racing?

·
Digital Guru
11,201 Posts
hi
the standard supplied psu is not the problem,it is the 4 car pb. You can supply it with 20amps and it will still only supply a couple to the rails.

You can keep the scaley psu they are good enough but the far superior 6 car apb does need 2 ideally so you only need to get hold of one more.

One psu with the 6 car pb will be ok for 3-4 cars for the extra couple you do need the extra one.

I would not entertain the psu you have highlighted as if it ever does get turned up by accident to much over 16v you will blow everything in the layout,chips,lane changers etc.

Quite a few members opted for toshiba laptop psu's at the beginning as they are the correct volts and amps and the same terminal but at a much lower cost than the scaley ones..

Change of id usually happens when a car crosses one of the lane changers thats why it is important to keep the braids tidy,they need to be kept tight into the guide flag and not splayed.

Or for ultimate reliability get the chips re-flashed to mih spec but that is a whole different thread.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I run computor laptop PSU's. They are cheap and I have had no problem. In the UK the cost is about £10 off e bay. Maybe about $20 in us. Put the spare monet to the 6 car APB it realy is good. Ps you really need a clear staright before a lane changer else it will be unreliable as you get faster and start drifing. Welcome to the enjoyable insanity that is digital raceing! Once digital you won't want to go back!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the replies. Yes I love digital slots. It's a lot of fun. I will end up getting the Advanced PB, just not now. I still like the idea of having a great supply to give it some grunt when I do get it. 15A should be plenty. Might even use it to light the layout with Leds.
Point taken about being able to blow the layout with 24V but I think the risk is worth it with the Protections it comes with (thermal/short) I'd rather have the chance of my layout blowing than having it set the house on fire. Besides, doesn't matter what you use, a diret electric spike will take out everything connected to the socket unless you are running some kind of protection. I also think the supply will be more stable if it is capable of supplying 24V if I set it at 15V rather than some device running at 15V contantly- Another issue I see with using a cheap power source like a laptop type charger: Power stability under load.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
QUOTE (crimson1973 @ 26 Jun 2012, 20:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Point taken about being able to blow the layout with 24V but I think the risk is worth it with the Protections it comes with (thermal/short) I'd rather have the chance of my layout blowing than having it set the house on fire.
If you blow your PB you COULD start a fire! RIchG and RikoRocket both say "do not go over 15v on the APB".

QUOTE Besides, doesn't matter what you use, a diret electric spike will take out everything connected to the socket unless you are running some kind of protection. I also think the supply will be more stable if it is capable of supplying 24V if I set it at 15V rather than some device running at 15V contantly-
Now your are confusing us. If it is CAPABLE of 24v as a variable PSU and you only set it at 15v, then you are running a 15v PSU. Right?

QUOTE Another issue I see with using a cheap power source like a laptop type charger: Power stability under load.
If you read the APB advanced power thread, you will see that the APB with 2 laptop PSUs at 15v will amply supply 6 cars. So not sure what you mean here.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I think you may be overestimating the power you need. I use Slot.it cars with standard Scalextric motors to avoid using high power chips. These are more than good enough on a 4m straight. You only need very high power on big tracks with long straights. Typically commecial or club tracks. However it is your decision. But my recommendation is, IF you have spare cash use it on an APB not on a high power PCU. High power will proably not be a good for your young sons. I would reduce the power even for Scalextric motors through a APB running on standard power for a start. Also lots of power needs car changes.

Almost certaily if you want to run at even max speed on scalextric you will have to change tyres. Scalextric tyres are not that good. New tires and the wheels to fit them are again expensive. It cost about £60 a car to get where we are. That is Slot.it car, new tyres, and magnetic suspension. Very repeatable performance but proably still not as fast as they could be on our track and still on standard power. In addition digital is less about absolute power and more about strategy.

Sorry if this sounds lik a lecture its not supposed to be:). We all want to help and so like to share our experience so you can decide what you want to do within a sensible budget. AHH! if only none of had to budget".

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE (UshCha @ 27 Jun 2012, 16:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sorry if this sounds lik a lecture its not supposed to be:). We all want to help and so like to share our experience so you can decide what you want to do within a sensible budget. AHH! if only none of had to budget".

No worries. It doesn't sound like a lecture. I am a newbie. I just think a brand new bench power supply with accurate metered voltage and current set at the correct regulated voltage would be better than a couple of laptop chragers connected to the APB.
And my budget is as much as she who must be obeyed will allow me to get away with without putting me out with the dog.

I'm wondering if you set the voltage lower than 15 if it would make the cars go slower. I know it works like that with analog.
Also, is it worth getting the apb on ebay. I've noticed it cheaper by about $40 on ebay. I guess warranty could be an issue should I ever need to return it.

And all this stuff about changing tires. I'm still coming to grips with how much we can push the cars. Wow. You guys really get into it. Do you also tune ARB's Cambers and springs with the tire compounds lol

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You guys were right about the power. Four cars at the same time sometimes peaks at 3.5 to 4 amps but most of the time they are running at 2-2.5, this is what the power supply meter is reading. With the new power supply, I do not get any slow down at any time while running. It might have made a difference also when I cleaned the track with a cloth and a touch of inox and made sure the joints were all flush lol.
The kids know not to play with the power knob. I trust them not to destroy the track. It'll do until I get the 6 car one and then I have no need to get another power pack.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts