SlotForum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help! I am new to all this. Just bought and created a Scalextric Set up - 40th birthday present to myself
and I have hit the wall with it

Basically, I can't get SSDC to work. It's all brand new stuff, and I bought a FTDI able from RikoRocket. I'm quite technical with computers, built many from scratch, so somewhat frustrated with what appears to be my COM port problem. I am 100% confident I have the correct COM port, as when I plug in the cable I get an additional COM Port (7) in device manager.
I am running Windows 7, Home Premium, 32Bit. I have NOT updated to .NET v4 yet.

Anyway, here goes with what I have done (step by step):

Power Up Laptop
Power on C7042 connected to PC (Red + Green lights on C7042 permanently Lit)
Start SSDC Software
C7042 Red Light Goes out (Green stays on) [But cars will not work - I believe they should?]
SSDC Screen Below:

Scalextric Problem Word Document

NOTE: GREEN and RED Indicators bottom left are always like that, regardless of what is on the C7042

Start Race: Murray Says "Go Go Go" - SSDC Software Freezes
Log File:
Error: No reponse
Write: FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 80 AD
Error: N

COM7 Details from Device Manager:

Scalextric Problem Word Document

Many thanks in advance if you can help me solve my problem.

Philip

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Hi

Whilst you're waiting for the SSDC programmer, awallace, to sort you out here's a couple of things to get out of the way:

From memory only the green light should be on in SSDC. Sounds like a data communication problem, so maybe Ftdi drivers or cable.

Did you plug in the cable before starting the powerbase? If not it can damage the cable. Also, have you tried reinstalling the Fdti drivers?

On the Riko cable (assuming it's the same as the RichG cable), when you start SSDC do the green and yellow LED lights come on (in addition to the red one which is always on)?

It does take some time to find your way around SSDC but the result is worth the effort. Good luck.

Cheers
Chris

·
Registered
97 Posts
If the red and green lights are both on in the lower left part of the screen, SSDC and the PB are not communicating. sometimes this happens on mine to.
but if I turn off the power to the 7042 and restart the SSDC program and turn the power back on it always works.
also when placing the cars on the track if SSDC is already running be careful make sure your braids don't short across both rails as this will cause the system to lock up also

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the initial responses. I have tried the "restarting" and always get the same thing. Chris, you mention "lights on the cable", but I only have light (green and Red) on the C7042 and the virtual lights on the SSDC Software.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
QUOTE (Vaugrat @ 10 Mar 2012, 15:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks for the initial responses. I have tried the "restarting" and always get the same thing. Chris, you mention "lights on the cable", but I only have light (green and Red) on the C7042 and the virtual lights on the SSDC Software.
They are on the circuit board in the cable in mine - tx & rx. I guess on yours they must be absent or hidden inside the cable, but they would tell you if SSDC has successfully connected. (And the red dot in SSDC would not be lit).

Edit: Here you can see the 3 LEDs alight = SSDC connected

Just to test the cable & com port you could also download a free demo of PCLapcounter & see if that works.

Your serial port device settings/driver correspond exactly to mine so my money is on a damaged/faulty cable or a com port conflict/problem. Over to you Andrew/Riko.

One other thought, is C7042 ticked in the drop down chequered flag menu?

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
hi
i believe there is a small difference between the cables that Rich and Riko supply,that being one has a external led..

Window 7 should auto install the ftdi drivers,i say should as mine did not but pretty sure Riko supplys a link to the site that will auto install them,i used it and set up was a cinch...

·
David Jessett
255 Posts
Hi Philip,

I am sure someone will get you sorted out soon. (I take it you have upgraded the firmware in the Powerbase to v1.09.)

I just wanted to say it will be worth the wait to get it going correctly. My son and I had a brilliant session this morning. Two pace cars and us racing against them and each other. All laps timed to nearest 1000/ of a second, refuelling in the pit lane, lane changing to get past the pace cars. Really really good.

So hang in there.

David

·
Living the Life&#33;
11,082 Posts
Have you selected C7042 as the default PB? There's a small chequered flag, click on it and select C0742 and digital.

Might be worth checking the baud rate of your com port, Windows defaults it to 9600 try setting it to 115200.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts