SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past summer I made the decision to return to the world of slot cars (I had a Strombecker set in the 1960s), and purchased a couple of Carrera sets. It took a while to come up with a plan, and this was the final choice based on size.

I built a table and drove the track for a while to see if it would work. I then built some ramps to support the track where it would be elevated.

It took a while while I decided what to do about borders. I finally decided to go with the Carrera ones. After much reading, both here and on other sights, I applied a coat of primer (CIL Smart3) and a couple coats of River Rock paint and a totally different look appeared.

I was really anxious about attempting to landscape the track-both because I have never done anything like that before, and because of all the outstanding examples on this board. I got a copy of Dave Frary's book and decided to have a go. What you see is 4 weekends of work! Maybe I should have described my progress as "glacial" rather than simply slow.

I have tried to follow the lead of some of you, and am trying to keep the guard rail to a minimum, although I know I will be needing quite a bit where the track goes up through the "S" and along the elevated section.
Any hints or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Doug

·
Brad Korando / Brad Korando
1,089 Posts
Your track is looking good Doug. Nice work on both the table and the overpass. I recommend replacing the power supply with a variable voltage aftermarket unit and upgrading the controllers as well. You may find that you don't need much in the way of guardrails with these upgrades and by also removing the magnets from your cars. You're building the scenery elevations up around the track which should keep the cars on the table nicely. Keep us posted on your progress!

Brad

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Doug,

It looks great! I love the painted track! I also ditto Brad's remarks on the power and controllers. That worked wonders on my layout!

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
Doug,

Really great job, from layout design to execution. The kink at the top of the donut is a neat idea.

I third the power & control upgrades suggestion, and especially no-mag racing at 12 volts. Guard rail isn't so bad - particularly with wide track and plenty of border, also you can paint that too and tack on ad banners.

This will be a nice track to see completed, are you going to do pit scenery?

Paul
Circuit TrustChrist

·
Bill Beggs
1,947 Posts
Geez Erda you steal my table legs? They do work well eh. Is your framing 2 x 4? I used 1x4s and drywall screws except a bolt through each leg.

Your landscaping is coming along nicely. I covered my wadded up newspaper with Home Depot shop towels dipped in POP. For grass I mad emy own using sawdust. Mixed it with craft paint from the dollar store - failing that Crayola from Zellers. I them watered down some white glue and used a dollar store spray bottle first before shaking the grass on and then again after.

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Doug, it's looking quite good!

As for being slow, I think everyone here will tell you that taking your time is the key to a great result.

The track makes good use of the space and looks smooth and flowing. Please keep us informed on your progress.

Albertosaurus? Are you out in the badlands? Perhaps a few 1/32 dino bones as scenic elements?

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Looking good mate!
Grab yourself some Parma Economy controllers, you'll be glad you did.
I too like the painted surface, really changes the whole 'plastic look'!
Scenery is a rewarding process, don't rush it, but enjoy the results from patience.
I only added 1 fence to my layout last night, but it was one I had been wanting to do for ages, now I feel much better about that corner, it's not a race, leave that for the cars!

Keep up the good work and the progress pics.
Dick

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the comments. I have controller hook-up panels, but haven't yet hooked them up. A Pyramid PS26KX is on order. I am still trying to decide which controller to buy-Parma or PM?

Paul - I do plan to build a pit lane and building in the opening on the right side. I have a couple of ideas, but am uncertain as to size and "relative scale".

Black3sr - 1/2 inch ply with 2*4 framing. 3/8 bolts holding the legs on and joining the "2" tables.

Fergy - Yes I am in the Badlands. Hadn't given much thought about fossils!

Doug

·
Bill Beggs
1,947 Posts
Doug - You will like the Pyramid. Last night was the first race session with mine. Set at 13.8 it was great. Everyone commented on how much easier it was to drive the cars. I suggested they help defray the costs. THat did not fly.

What does ERDA stand for?

bill

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
A Great Start Doug.......Dont be too hard on yourself about the time it takes..None of the scenic tracks youve looked at were built in a day or even a month.......Sometimes you can be in too big a hurry also.

It doesnt hurt to kick back and think about what you want to do with an area. What type of scene you want and how it will blend in seamlessly to the next area.......Once you do decide the focus will help.

Look at pictures ( In here, At real tracks etc etc) and when you see something you like, see if it will fit an area of your track ( albeit much compressed
)

Good scenery work takes time and should'nt be rushed. If it takes 5 years, who cares?? The track is operational and you can Race right?

Ive got a long ways to go on my track.........so does Brad........But, all it takes is to look at the scenery differences in a track built in 2 weeks vs one built over 2 years..........Nothing wrong with a quick scenery job, as long as it is what suits the builders desires

There are many levels of Scenic Enhancement, you just need to decide which level is right for you. There is no Right way and wrong way, there is only Your way.
The more realism you lean towards, the longer it takes.

Are you a little bit racer a little bit modeler? You'll probobly be happier with a scenic treatment that edges toward realism.

Are you a lot modeler and a little bit racer? You'd likely be happiest if it Exudes realism

If you are a pure racer you wouldnt have even gotten to the point you are at.......In fact you probobly would built a table wrapped it in catch nets and that woulda pretty much covered it

Whatever you decide, have fun because THAT is what its all about!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,504 Posts
Hi Doug

great beginning of a nice track

as graham said................ will be watching your progress

thanks for sharing and showing the stages of the build, always inspiring for new builders

cheers,
Jaak

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all of the kind comments.

I spent some time this weekend trying to get a handle on landscaping. I decided that I would try a small section to see how it went.
Started with painting the base an earth colour. I was surprised how different materials absorbed the paint. It really has a "dalmatian" like appearance.

Applied some blended turf and an assortment of other "turfs". A few bushes, trees, and other materials rounded out the grand experiment! I don't know why, but the trees don't look nearly as good in the pictures as they do on the track.

Speaking of trees, any hints/tips on making them, or what brands to buy that won't break the bank?

Any suggestions or advice on landscaping would be most welcome.

Thanks.

Doug

·
Registered
465 Posts
Can you add a bit of detail about how you flush fit the borders? They look great, and in the pictures, seem to absolutely disappear!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Doug, Scenery 101 has alot on tree's..I have several tutorials with Pictures in the files section at my yahoo group from scratchbuilt to enhancing store bought tree's (link in signature below)

You could do a search in the tracks & scenery thread also & see what comes up.

There are many ways to Make tree's, Some are EZ and fast, Some are more tedious But highly detailed(great for up front or Lone tree's that stand out)

Woodland scenics has some good kits......A good Mix can make weak tree's as individuals look fine........its the overall concept of appearance.......not all tree's in the forest are perfect LOL

Heres a pic that covers a few different types mixed in to create a small forested area........My scenery work is a bit different than the NORM for slot tracks however

·
Registered
52 Posts
Todd,
Thanks for the info and links. I'll be off to the city again this weekend to buy some more "tree makings"!

whiskey
I fit the borders to see if there was in variation between the various pieces. You might be surprised that there is quite a bit. I also cut down some of the pieces to fit where and how I wanted them to-I used a jig saw, wood rasp, and sanding block. Then, it was a matter of using the clips to join them to the track, and a bit of hot glue to secure the track and borders to the table. I think this helped quite a bit in the final "fit".
I found that one coat of undercoat and two coats of paint did a lot to hide most of the "cracks" in between the various pieces. I did paint the track once assembled, not as individual sections (except for the tunnel at the back which I painted first and in section of 4 straights).
Hope that helps.

Doug

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Had to diassemble the track as we moved.

It went from this
Urban design Art Font Landscape Scale model

To this
Property Interior design Wood Flooring Hardwood

It currently is in the garage until I can try to bring it back to life. In the mean time, I have started a RAID track.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts