SlotForum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I got a Platinum set for Xmas and it is great! The only problem is that I don't really have any space in the house to keep it mounted at all times. I don't have a basement in the house and the crawl space, although vast, is quite low. So I finally set for the garage. The only prob is that I like to keep my car inside during the winter. My solution is a foldable table attached to the wall. When the car is in, it folds into the wall and when I wanna play, folds back with the track all set.

The planned table will measure 14'' x 5.5''. Since it will be a permanent track, I would like to get some feedback regrading the design. I would also like to know how to glue the track on the table (screws, glue etc?) in order to stay very still while folded up.

Here is the design:

The other question I have is related to the pit stop. Having the C7042, do I need to get the C7041 Digital Pit Lane in order to get pit stop feature or the C7042 covers it?

Many thanks

Rafa

·
Greg Gaub
14,647 Posts
You can get a more interesting and fun layout in 14'x5.5' than that. What you really need are some turns other than standard R2 turns. What you got with your Platinum set will probably be more than enough. To that you'll want to add R3 and R4 turns to make some wider radius turns, and more importantly, some compound radius turns.

This image (click to view thread about its construction and updates) is of one of my favorite layouts for that size/shape space. It's by Dave, aka SlotCarDad, and has all the great elements a good digital track needs, IMHO.

There are a lot of ideas out there for attaching track to a board for folding up, but as I have not used any, I can't offer a suggestion for which would be best.

The Pit Lane Game is just a lights-out game. For the real pit stops, you need a computer with SSD Console or PC Lap Counter. To go beyond simple refueling, you'll want to get an upgraded Pit Lane Game called Pit Pro. This can be bought from the same guys who make the computer cables needed for those programs to work, which can be found here: http://ssdc.jackaments.com/cables.shtml

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Greg! Indeed the track you posted is very interesting (and looked great once finished!). I see what you mean about using the R3s and R4s and compound turns. It does make it more challenging and interesting. One of my goals was to use all tracks that came with my set, the other one was to make a track that my 4 year old will be able to race as well. The track you posted from Dave is very doable! I am also abandoning the idea of having an elevated crossover since this will make it more difficult to fold (and stay in place!).

I visited your website, nicely done and informative. Thanks for chatting and providing great feedback and numerous links for me to get started. Really appreciated!

regards

Rafa

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mr. DJT,

Thank you for the reply. My layout would have to be different since my table will be 5 x 14''. Will post some more layouts once I have them ready!

Any ideas on how to get the tracks "glued" to the table? Anyone ever used the Scalextric clips?

Regards

Rafa

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm personally planning to screw my track down, as my track will live in my living room and shouldn't fluctuate temperature too much.
As for my flyover I'm planning to make the whole flyover out of ply and fix everything down.
I'm also keeping the flyover restricted to one side to keep the folded thickness down.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had to change my layout a bit since the dimensions had to be changed (will be using 2 sheets of plywood only). The table can only be 4'' deep but will continue to be 14'' wide (with a L shape now). Here a couple of drafts. I like #1 more, but seems quite tights for the space.

Looking forward to suggestions!

Rafa

·
Greg Gaub
14,647 Posts
Well, that puts a damper on plans.

I know it's hard, but try to move away from multiple, long, parallel straights. I did that once. The layout came down in a matter of days. I thought it would be fun, but it was actually really boring. At least you've got some fun looking turns at the ends of them, though.
With a little tweaking, you might be able to get your pit lane to start on the straight behind it, make a 180 R1 turn, and finish up in the same place it is now. It can be hard to stop a car in a half-straight pit lane, and it would only fit one car at a time, too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Indeed. I quite like the 1st one, but still quite tight in that space. I am reconsidering the hinge mechanism to fold the track into the wall and I may just use retractable legs and then lean the table against the wall when not in use. The prob with a 6'' deep track is to retrieve a car (and replace into the track) in the very distal lanes. If am able to move around the table, then not a big deal.

Another test with the L shape before going back to 6'' x 14'' (very similar to #1)

cheers

Rafa

·
Greg Gaub
14,647 Posts
If you don't NEED it to be hinged on the wall, and have a good 6-8" spare on the side of the garage, you could go with a tilt/roll table. It's hard to describe, so I wish I had pictures. Imagine that the legs are actually braced plywood. One corner of each "leg" is cut in an arc, a quarter of a circle. The entire track then ROLLS to the side to be stored against the wall. The legs then fold up against the bottom of the table after the braces are unhooked/removed. When it's time to play, just fold the legs back out and lock them, then roll it back up to table position. You would end up with room to get around all sides, depending on how wide you made it and how wide your garage is. Worst case is you have to scoot it back toward the wall to make room to drive from.
That's not MY idea, btw. I don't know who did it first, but there are a couple layouts on this forum that show that kind of thing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I see what you mean, as long as I can fold the arc leg, it should work fine. Great idea!

BTW, how accurate is UR3 when compared to Scalextric track designer? It seems that I cannot reproduce the same track on both softwares. The Scalextric always seems to be tighter and the trek won't fit...

·
Circuit Owner
5,889 Posts
Hey I'm impressed - your boy can drive really well! It's not easy for little ones to control a magless car like that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts