SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi all,

My first track design has officially been decommissioned (sigh). After spending hours of design, playing with track pieces on the table and testing cars at low speeds I finally came up with something pretty good, about 70 feet length, all unique radii curves.

Yesterday I started cutting out 3/16" hardboard track support sections and 1/4" thick by 2-1/4" width extensions (I split the curves and straights into smaller pieces to reduce waste from the sheets) .

I found that if I glue 3 sheets of heavy construction paper under the 1/4" board it is just a hair under the track thickness. I picked up a huge stack of this really nice thick black construction paper from the local Habitat for Humanities Restore. If you have one locally I highly recommend supporting them, you can find materials sometimes at very good prices.

I'm also going to paint the track and extensions with a dark grey flat latex.

Planning pit lane buildings and some elevations to make things more interesting.

I'm going to hopefully get this put together this week so we can race this weekend when we have family coming out to visit.

·
Banned
1,694 Posts
Very nice!

My only comment would be putting in a lane changer closer before the pits to help with pit-access, you could shunt pits 1/2 straight to left and lose a straight at start of pit lane, this would allow a 'last chance for pits' XLC at start of the home straight allowing for 1 full straight before to hit the sensor? Not often I suggest shortening pit lane, even if it is only by 1/2 straight ;-)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very nice!

My only comment would be putting in a lane changer closer before the pits to help with pit-access, you could shunt pits 1/2 straight to left and lose a straight at start of pit lane, this would allow a 'last chance for pits' XLC at start of the home straight allowing for 1 full straight before to hit the sensor? Not often I suggest shortening pit lane, even if it is only by 1/2 straight ;-)
I thought of this too. When I tested it I was worried that people would switch lanes instead of entering the pits as the two sensors are pretty close together.

·
Banned
1,694 Posts
I thought of this too. When I tested it I was worried that people would switch lanes instead of entering the pits as the two sensors are pretty close together.
They'll soon learn to slow down if they miss it
biggrin.png

You could always put up sign 'markers' to help so drivers know where to press to button to LC and where to press button for is Pit-in. I'm doing this on my track, um, when I get around to it.

Or remove another 1/2 straight, as it's single pit lane and you could probably get away with it and still have decent length for cars to stop?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We did some testing on the new track and had company over the holiday weekend to try it out. My nephews were very surprised and impressed compared to what they thought it would be like hearing about it. I finished gluing together the first outer turn extensions and temporarily added a guard rail and banking wedges (not shown in picture). The issue right now is the unpainted wood pieces shed particles that the tires pick up so after about three or more laps the cars start to lose traction. So now the goal is to get the rest of the track finished and painted. Also plan on ordering some urethane tires to help with traction issues.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had thought that over the holiday weekend I would get more done but with company visiting I did not spend much time working on it. My construction technique seems to be good however frustrating as gluing the pieces together is time consuming.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They'll soon learn to slow down if they miss it
biggrin.png

You could always put up sign 'markers' to help so drivers know where to press to button to LC and where to press button for is Pit-in. I'm doing this on my track, um, when I get around to it.

Or remove another 1/2 straight, as it's single pit lane and you could probably get away with it and still have decent length for cars to stop?
I tried this again but accidentally switching to the outside lane when attempting to pit is a problem for me, and for new racers we haven't even been using the pit features as they are still getting used to just controlling the cars.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Another thought on the new track. I love the visibility aspect where my old track design was difficult to follow without having a specific view on the track to follow the car. This new layout is easy to follow no matter where you are positioned around the table, even seated. Something to keep in mind when designing with elevations is visibility, more of an issue than I originally thought it would be.

·
ParrotGod
11,089 Posts
Another thought on the new track. I love the visibility aspect where my old track design was difficult to follow without having a specific view on the track to follow the car. This new layout is easy to follow no matter where you are positioned around the table, even seated. Something to keep in mind when designing with elevations is visibility, more of an issue than I originally thought it would be.
Yes visibility is an important factor in slocar racing. But the most important for me is flow: especially on a short home track if you do not have an interesting lap - every lap - it will get soon boring.
I bought my current track from another member here (Damien's Little Whaka track): I have done some small modifications - adding some XLCs, changing the pitlane exit and modify some corners. The layout is now 19 m long in the outside lane. Even though we know the layout well now, it is still challenging and it keeps us entertained.

If I am going to change the layout next, I think I will go for a 4 lane carrera digital track only because I want to race oxigen 1/24.

·
Banned
1,694 Posts
accidentally switching to the outside lane when attempting to pit is a problem for me
If the XLC is too close to the pit entry make the pits shorter by another 1/2 or 1 straight rather than bin the last chance pit XLC, your pits will still be a usable decent length?

I'm thinking of using an Arduino Nano and some photointerrupters under the track lanes positioned in the ideal location for when you need to press the lane change button on the controller to successfully enter the pits, when you pass the photointerrupter a sign with amber LEDs flashes to tells you to lane change now in order to pit. Depending on which lane you're in and how you have XLCs/CLC/s and pit entries configured I think this coule be a nice add-on.

You have a lovely big table space for your track so can get away with not having elevations, I think also it's easier to get away with elevations on smaller spaces as you're closer to cars all the time, if it's a huge table then it becomes more problematic with elevations to see exactly what your car is doing when it's far away from you.

Let's see some videos?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi all,

After taking time off this summer, I'm back at construction on the track, including a design modification that balances the lanes between left and right number of turns, which really changes the feel of the track as neither lane has significant advantages overall and lane changers might be more strategic (and for analog racing possibly)
Wood Interior design Hardwood Flooring Machine

The track extensions, as described in a previous post:
Wood Sleeve Automotive tire Flooring Tints and shades

And glued together, it is very rigid.
Outerwear Automotive tire Wood Road surface Sleeve

Here is the rest of my plan:

1. Cutout 1/4" plywood underlayment for banking and elevation, gluing the proper number of contractor wood shims (4) to give the turns a slight banking, which will vary depending on section. This also fastens together nicely with screws and provides rigid support for the track. The section by the pits will be elevated with a building and storage inside of the pit lane for cars, controllers and what not. I'm thinking of doing adjustable elevations, so it will be possible to get just the right angles and height, or to modify it easily.

2. Vinyl blind strips for guard rails, not sure how well that will work but need something flexible and also be cheap and available (found at local HD) also some black plastic fencing material which will go on the table edges and possibly some of the turns.

3. Painting the track, extensions and supports with grey flat vinyl paint. Thinking of doing the track in a darker color, and the curb in a lighter, slightly different shade.

4. Power taps.

I took some of your advice and rethought the crossover lane changer right before the pit lanes, making the pit lane shorter. After practicing entering into the pit lane I got my lane changing errors figured out (hold the lane change button in longer). Occasional mistakes might be made entering the pits when timing the turbo (kers) option, but that's a driver awareness issue.

I wish the construction phases went faster, hoping to have it finished this fall!

Here is the new track design, 70 foot length:

Rectangle Font Automotive exterior Pattern Drawing

Cheers,
Nate

Attachments

·
Greg Gaub
16,847 Posts
Looks great! You might consider painting the shoulders the same as the track, but do some clever tricks with red and white curbing painted in the right places such that it appears the slots are taking a racing line. Then paint green or brown on the outside of the curbs. Take a look at real tracks for where to paint the curbs (not everywhere!). There are examples of this found in other tracks in this forum.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Hi all,

After taking time off this summer, I'm back at construction on the track, including a design modification that balances the lanes between left and right number of turns, which really changes the feel of the track as neither lane has significant advantages overall and lane changers might be more strategic (and for analog racing possibly)
View attachment 283318

The track extensions, as described in a previous post:
View attachment 283319

And glued together, it is very rigid.
View attachment 283320

Here is the rest of my plan:

1. Cutout 1/4" plywood underlayment for banking and elevation, gluing the proper number of contractor wood shims (4) to give the turns a slight banking, which will vary depending on section. This also fastens together nicely with screws and provides rigid support for the track. The section by the pits will be elevated with a building and storage inside of the pit lane for cars, controllers and what not. I'm thinking of doing adjustable elevations, so it will be possible to get just the right angles and height, or to modify it easily.

2. Vinyl blind strips for guard rails, not sure how well that will work but need something flexible and also be cheap and available (found at local HD) also some black plastic fencing material which will go on the table edges and possibly some of the turns.

3. Painting the track, extensions and supports with grey flat vinyl paint. Thinking of doing the track in a darker color, and the curb in a lighter, slightly different shade.

4. Power taps.

I took some of your advice and rethought the crossover lane changer right before the pit lanes, making the pit lane shorter. After practicing entering into the pit lane I got my lane changing errors figured out (hold the lane change button in longer). Occasional mistakes might be made entering the pits when timing the turbo (kers) option, but that's a driver awareness issue.

I wish the construction phases went faster, hoping to have it finished this fall!

Here is the new track design, 70 foot length:

View attachment 283332
Cheers,
Nate
Seems you have all resolved! I like your confidence👍🏼

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looks great! You might consider painting the shoulders the same as the track, but do some clever tricks with red and white curbing painted in the right places such that it appears the slots are taking a racing line. Then paint green or brown on the outside of the curbs. Take a look at real tracks for where to paint the curbs (not everywhere!). There are examples of this found in other tracks in this forum.
Thanks, I like the painting suggestion. I might also taper the width down slightly on the inside curb extensions and straights, adding to the effect that the cars follow a more realistic path on the turns.

·
ParrotGod
11,089 Posts
Very nice. I like all those elevation changes. Also nice to have the pit building under the track. I have seen before but your execution is great.
That XLC before the pitlane entrance is going to be a problem especially when you have guests racing on it.
At best, drivers will miss the pit entry because they will press too early and will be moved to the outside lane.
At worst, you will see drivers entering the pit lane by mistake at full speed and smashing into cars that are doing their pitstop.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Very nice. I like all those elevation changes. Also nice to have the pit building under the track. I have seen before but your execution is great.
That XLC before the pitlane entrance is going to be a problem especially when you have guests racing on it.
At best, drivers will miss the pit entry because they will press too early and will be moved to the outside lane.
At worst, you will see drivers entering the pit lane by mistake at full speed and smashing into cars that are doing their pitstop.
Yes, I was hesitant at first on the placement of the crossover before the pit lane. Someone on the forum suggested trying it, and after getting used to it I like it. It actually adds a lot to have that second "last chance" pit from the outside lane, but we do see occasional mistakes and problems there.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts