SlotForum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
ParrotGod
11,090 Posts
The issue of your design is that if you remove that XLC before the pit entry, then your "last chance" XLC is quite far (the XLC on top of the pit building).
Personally I would rather see people missing out the pitlane rather than plunging at full speed in it.
Time will tell.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Hi all,

After countless hours of construction sawdust, blood, sweat, and tears and semi-madness affliction taking hold, here we are. The last steps I am working on are painting the track and wiring power taps, then I will consider addition of terrain and scenery.

After testing some with various cars, I'm excited to say its quite nice to race on. Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I noticed immediately how much better it was with the wider curbs added so the cars won't tap the rails/walls as both lanes are more even. I'm still trying to get a feel for which lane is better, but from what I can tell the inside lane seems to have a slight advantage but not a huge difference. The fastest car I have tuned currently is the yellow AMG Mercedes which is incredibly smooth in acceleration coming out of turns, track record is 7.2 seconds (the track length is roughly 70 feet). I also ordered a bunch of Paul Gage urethane tires from Slot Car Corner, hoping this in addition to painting the track will provide enough additional traction to make the cars more consistent in lap times.

Final thoughts:

Having realized hindsight is 20-20, the amount of labor in this project has been immense. Originally I contemplated building a wood routed track, and I feel that I probably could have built two racetracks in the amount of time it took to complete this one. I went with Scaly digital because I like the out of box system with the addition of Magic ARC app which takes it to another level.

Would I recommend others take on this approach to constructing a track? Probably not, but if you have a table saw that would make things much easier (I have two table saws in pieces that are not assembled, another project is setting up the garage workshop). So limited to hand power tools (sabre saw, circular saw, compound miter saw) and lots of filing, sanding, etc. got the job done but not nearly as efficiently as I would have liked.

I just posted a YouTube Video for you guys to check out.

Cheers,
Nate

·
ParrotGod
11,090 Posts
Looks great. Given that you built from scratch some of the components (borders, fences, etc) it should not be a surprise that it tool you so long.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have done several plastic tracks now and different iterations of tables both home made and store bought. I haven't done a routed wood track yet, but I suspect the break over point with regards to effort is if you want/need a bridge/flyover. If you need a bridge, it would be less total work overall to just route a wood track. I haven't tested this, but after my last track build I had the same sense you described that I felt like I could have just your a track for what it took to build up the plastic track.

Either way, your track looks great and there is a lot of fun to be had.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts