- Scalextric SSD / Classic
- PB6 Digital
- 3 lane changers
- Length = 25,7 meter (80 feet)
- Pit pro
- SSDC race control
- direction of travel: anti clockwise
- a fly over is used, it's not a cross over

What do you think about the pitlane and corner design?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Is itcrossover or a flyover ? I suggest not using a cross road. Not sure that the single track is ideal for a Pits. Digital is best with SSDC so you can get fuel simulation so a good pits is vital.
You may want to re-plan the top left corner so you can get both curves to have borders. Otherwise I think its a great track. Very imagiative of the corners which makes for technical driving.

·
Circuit Owner
5,924 Posts
Assuming the direction of travel is anticlockwise....

I would make the far right top and bottom corners into one massive R4 curve so you get a fantastic build-up to the long back straight. Top left - the end of what will be a fast straight - should be R3 (which would push your "S" bends further down and solve the border issue).

This will give you a track with some extremes - really fast sections and very technical sections.

The R1s will make pace cars almost impossible to set up unless you have software with variable throttle pace car options.

Some people don't like pits that are nowhere near the start/finish line but personally it doesn't bother me as my pits are away from the start/finish straight.

I LIKE the track as it is. With the R4 and R3 changes I suggest I think I would LOVE it.

I wish I had your space!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Thanks a lot for all those useful and quick responses!
I will see if I can make some changes as you guys describe. But this layout is built around the track pieces I currently have (except for the pitlane), and I'm not sure if my wife will be happy if I buy pieces again:). .
The corners before and after the long straight are Classic and I don't have R3 and R4 Classic pieces.
I am planning to replace all classic pieces with SSD (they are 25 years old) but that takes time.

My last layout had some R1 turns and that worked good with the SSDC variable pacers, after lots of trial and error.

- I need to buy the pieces for the pitlane, so that's my biggest concern at the moment. Is this a good pitlane? About your comment of the single lane: How would you do it?
- Why do you think people don't like to have the pit on the other side of track?

About the space: It's very long. I can even extend it some 3 meters more if I want, but then the other side of the track will be too far away for the drivers I guess. But the roof is banked, so i'ts only possible to sit before it while racing, the long straight is not accessable from behind and the table is only a couple of inches high:)

Thanks again

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
If you can't but a pit lane yet than go for it as it stands. I would just put the pit at the top and longer. Personally R1's ar OK with pacers just use mags on the pacer and none on your car and its good "traffic". Pacers are never going to be a big challencge with the same standard of car.

·
Registered
462 Posts
My pacer is tuned for fast cornering and my other cars are defined to an in my opinion realistic corner speed. Pit at the top would be better but its not possible because the roof is too low there and I want to create some pit buildings. Also the whole track would have to come forward and that is not possible because of the stairs (white rectangle).
Again thanks

·
Greg Gaub
15,372 Posts
I like it. Especially the pit lane. I think it would be cool to make a pit lane building with a circular control tower in the center, inside those R2 turns, with garages with stands on top on either side.

I also agree that it would be nice to get some R4 and R3 into the curves before and after the main back straight. Finally, I think the two XLC in the other parts of the track would work better right up against the turns that follow them, rather than in the middle or beginning of the preceeding straights.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Don't get rid of the esses whaterver you do ;-). You could put R3 or R4 at the RH end of the main straight. Personally there is little fun driving down a straight so don't spoil a very interesting technical track just for a straight or big bend. Also adding more high speed sections may indirectly cost more. Scaley chips are limited power. You only need that power on wide open relatively easy drive circuits. Tight technical circuits like yours, without mags do not need much power, just lots of skill and concentration. Upgraded/Slot.it chips cost a lot more if you are on a budget. In the end you have to make the decision. If you ask four enthusiasts you will get at least 5 opinions. The round pits idea seems to be a clever one.

·
Registered
462 Posts
MrFlippant:
What you say about the pitlane buildings was about exactly what I had in mind:)
I saw your helicopter view video of your track (looks very cool also) and it looked like you have the PitPro, don't you?
I'm gonna buy one as well but I have some questions about PitPro:

- I am not sure where to place the pitlane game tower. Can you help me with that maybe? Is it possible to place it between the half single straights in the beginning of the pitlane? If so, I guess the tower must be rotated so the leds are on the back (towards the drivers)...
- For refueling, can that be done on the entire pitlane or just before the pitlane game tower?
- As you can see in my layout I use two pitlane entry pieces (C7014) and two end pitlane pieces (C7014B). Does that mess up the pit lane sensing and therefore refueling or not?

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
QUOTE - I am not sure where to place the pitlane game tower. Can you help me with that maybe? Is it possible to place it between the half single straights in the beginning of the pitlane? If so, I guess the tower must be rotated so the leds are on the back (towards the drivers)...
Yes, and tower can be rotated. I put 5 wires between the connectors of track piece and led display and put led display against the wall.

QUOTE - For refueling, can that be done on the entire pitlane or just before the pitlane game tower?If you have crossed the led you can refuel anywhere in the pitlane.

QUOTE - As you can see in my layout I use two pitlane entry pieces (C7014) and two end pitlane pieces (C7014B). Does that mess up the pit lane sensing and therefore refueling or not?
No, but you would want at least half a straight before pit pro track piece, to reduce missed sensing of cars.

But to be perfectly honest, I don't use pit pro anymore. I would think about getting first scalextric sport track for your money and try refuelling without sensors. If you don't like that, you can always go the pit pro route.

Your pitlane is too short too fully benefit of reduced pit lane speeds, and since It is not near the powerbase you would also need a pit exit sensor.
At my track we just drive into pitlane, keep LC pressed, refuel start after x seconds and all is well. No missed cars, because we don't use pit in detection.
We went back to this kind of refuelling after too many issues with missed cars driving in the pitlane and not able to refuel. Yes, you can get It to work, but It takes some effort, especially for Slot It cars and for me personally It doesn't add to the experience, because refuelling with LC pressed works damn fine. The downside is you can refuel anywhere on the track, but no one does that, you can't park your car on a track were there is a race going!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Minardi: does your pit-lane method eliminate the ability to change lanes in the pit or no? I'm guessing you wait till after lane change to hold button for fuel

·
Registered
462 Posts
MrF i did not get rid of the pitlane plan but I just start with a simplified one. If I want the pitlane as in the picture above it has more consequences because that long straight is classic track so if I want that pitlane I need to buy more sports track, pitlane game, pitlane game conversion and two more pitlane tracks first. Save some money as I have too many expensive hobbies ha ha

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
@JL-F1: First come to a stand still, than keep LC pressed. This of course can be after a lane change in pit, refuelling starts after holding LC more than x seconds (I set mine to 2 secs).

Back to topic ;-)

·
Greg Gaub
15,372 Posts
Don't get the pit lane game and conversion until you've got your pit lane set up and can try fuel stuff without the pit lane sensors. If you find people refueling on the track, or need to enforce a speed limit in the pit lane, then get the Pit-Pro stuff.

Yes, the pit lane piece is just another type of lane changer.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I just found some money:) and bought all required track for the layout (again I say to myself this is the last purchase for slotracing this year).
I changed the layout and the pitlane a bit. As suggested by you guys I added some R3s and R4s after the long straight and in the pitlane. I made the long straight a bit longer as well. The 'S' part after the straight is modified so every turn can have borders.
Track is 28.4 meters (approx. 93 feet) long now. I hope power distribution will be ok...

At the end of the pitlane I had a problem as it appears I used a SCX rally loop 2 (see ulitmate racer 3.0) track piece in the original layout plan and cannot find it anywhere for sale:-(. Now I decided to use the outside lane of a R1 45 degree curve at the end of the pitlane and slice it in half. Only small problem is now I have a gap of approx. 1 cm in the pitlane (see picture). Does anyone know if this can be closed?

Here is the new layout plan:

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
I think the gap of 1 cm wont be a problem. Can you make the pitlane longer, parallel to straight, the longer, the more flexibility you will have to overcome 1 cm.

Maybe I missed this, but is there a reason your powerbase is on the other end of track ?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts