SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this track has been on the boards for a while. Its really the first of three new tracks I've been asked to build. This is a 6 lane track ready for placement in a slot shop while the much larger 8 lane is being developed. Magna braid and all the bells and whistles and some rolling roadways once it gets going. Its laid out ready to have the main start straight to go over a quick left/right tunnel.

I've placed a small human being on the track so it gives everyone an idea of the size. Spent alot of time getting the corners just so. They are not a constant radius and contain a sort of ' lead' section the take the entry sharpness out of all the curves.

·
Prof I T
11,097 Posts
hi
very nice,judging by the quality of the tools on show are you in the trade? (carpentry)

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just a couple of quick answers for the questions so far.

The track is laid out flat for the moment and if I get home early enough from work I'll cut out the shape. Its been requested that I get as much uphill and downhill as possible.

QUOTE I'm looking forward to seeing the 8-laner as that must be spectacular.
Me too Graham.. I'll be aiming for some long banking like this..

but with some old world charm..

and all of that is for another day.

QUOTE very nice,judging by the quality of the tools on show are you in the trade? (carpentry)

Yes and I cant wait until the carpenter has finished and the electricians get into it.

QUOTE Nice UK... is it to be an out n out race track?

Yes it will end up as the track to keep them distracted while we build the big one. This banking starts tomorrow and I'll get ready for the frame next..

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Small progress update.
Putting in the underpass and cutting in the remaining straight.

The track will rise and fall but getting 6 lanes to want to move around will take some time and patience. So I've chocked the straight hoping this will move the bottom down over the next day or so. I was after a flat straight/start straight and all the corners I'm sure will sort themselves out after that. Time will tell.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Spent some time this arvo getting a look at some of the sloping corners. As mentioned very slight banking on some corners but a request from the owner to just' pick up' the corners so the the road rolls up and down without the clinically correct banked corners. Part of the reason for me posting here is so he too can log on to Slot forum and check on the progress.

So onto to the photos using a 1/24th scale carrera Ferrari.

part shot to give you an idea of angle of the slope

So although it looks alot like how a 7 year old would bank corners, it also looks like the corners might just be alot of fun.

I'm sure the temptation to place a proper banked corner on this circuit will get the better of me. (I've been told I can bank every corner on the 8 lane track. Maybe just a little banking on one corner!)

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got some small progress on the track work. We've placed it in the upper level of the shop and the final bracing and support work is almost completed. The track will have castor type wheels underneath to allow for some minor movement to make way for other hobby's on the mezzanine floor. The braiding has arrived and the sealing and painting of the track is well underway.
Very happy with how its coming together and I was eventually allowed to bank one corner.

I'm hoping these photos will give everyone an idea of the banked corners and the up and down aspect of the track. The area beside the straight leading into corner 1 is hopefully going to be where the pit building structures will go in. All the other spaces may need to be adjusted depending on line of sight for the drivers and scenery will be based on what available space is left.

The track will run both 24th and 32nd scale so the pits will be simply done to appear as taller 32 scale structures and smaller 24th scale.

·
Registered
538 Posts
It's unusual to have an underpass with the corners underneath and the straight on top.

As cars are more likely to fall off in corners, that's where most of the deslotted cars blocking other driver's lanes happens, and where most of the marshalling is needed. That's less trouble with the corners on top.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE As cars are more likely to fall off in corners

Yes you are right. It will be interesting to see how well everyone can drive on it. As usually, the better drivers will be fine. All the rookies will make the usual rookie mistakes. My guess is once the downstairs track is finished the upper track will form its own little group of racers or will make a good little test track during bigger events.

With the downstairs track we'll do our best to avoid overpass sections..

·
Registered
221 Posts
Looking fantastic, but what's happened to Goodwood?
Merry Christmas
Nigel

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE Looks good UK... 6 lanes? Where in Brisvegas is this going to be?

This Track will be in the upper floor of RedRacer. We hope to have it running for trials by the 12th January.

QUOTE ......but what's happened to Goodwood?

Its still sitting there. The track is finished bar the infield which is awaiting the arrival of some scenery gear. Its hoisted to the ceiling presently. The shed is chocka block with 1:1 cars but at the moment sport has us training 5 nights a week.. ( not me, just the kids.)

We go from this age/daughter number 5

to this/ open age girls

..so I have to sit at sport all.. day... long...
you know supporting.. not perving at the Mums who produce these little wonders.

I'll take some photos next time Goodwood is down but at the moment any spare time goes into the track above and next years Australian Scalextric grand prix is going to be huge so more preparation for that as well.

Busy, busy, busy....

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
But there is nothing wrong with a good chassis!

Right?

Cheers!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts