SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Rob
3,430 Posts
Just when you thought it was safe to venture back into 'Tracks & scenery'....!!

Well I did it - I tore up my old track and started again

I've spent the last couple of weeks trying to clear a decade's worth of junk out of the garage, and building tables, and trying different track designs.
But I've finally made a choice and started work on the track.
How much work have I just made for myself? I must be mad!!!

This is the track plan -

And a couple of pics of progress so far -

Thre's so much to do it's unreal! Not just the track but trying to tidy up too - painting walls, adding some extra lights etc etc.
But at least the track is up and running. I tried some elevation work this evening, the cars look great as they sweep downhill through the curves. But it's gentle laps only til I get some run off areas built!!
It's gonna take forever but I'm really going to enjoy this one!

cheers,

Rob

PS - a few more pics here

·
Brad Korando / Brad Korando
1,089 Posts
WOW Rob! What motivated you to take down your "old" track? It was awesome. What became of your old pit building? Are you planning on using any parts of the old layout?

That being said...I'm sure your new track will be terrific too. I like the track plan. What are the overall table dimensions? It looks like it will be fun to race. I can just imagine heated duels down the straights which each of the drivers wondering just how deep the other will go into the approaching corners. The track plan should make for some realistic F1 racing (or just about any other racing for that matter).

I'm about a month or two behind you in progress. I'm in the process of putting together a list of materials for my table. I'll be following your progress with great interest.

Brad Korando

·
Rob
3,430 Posts
Hi Brad. I hope you're going to keep us updated with your progress - I'm looking forward to seeing that awesome pit building of yours in situ!

To try to answer your questions -
I took the old track down for two reasons. I wanted to try some elevated sections but there wasn't room, and I've got back problems so my mobility isn't so good.
My pit building is stored, waiting for me to build it a new home. I may eventually try to make a better building, but that's definitely a future project!
I've got some sections of scenery that can be re-used, but mainly I'm hoping that the bit of experience I've gained will help me do a better job this time. I'm also going to try Neo's best line idea, which looks terrific.
The table is 4.7m by 1.5m, widening to 2.2m. It's basically three 1.5m x 1.5m tables screwed together and a couple of small extensions.

The track is fun! I'm running it anti-clockwise for now - powering uphill on the long back straight, down through the sweepers, a fast blast along the pitstraight, braking for the hairpin, trying to gain some speed again through the deep S......
It's addictive!! I keep getting distracted by the need to run a few 'test' laps!!
It's a hard life, isn't it?!!

cheers,

Rob

·
Registered
324 Posts
I like it alot.

I can't beleive you took apart your last track thou, after so many hours work.

I can understant why thou, I had a track in my loft and had to move it to the garrage because of back problems ( and lack of space.)

I Just finished laying my grass mats today so it's coming along nicely. I went to take photos earlier, but no batteries in my camera.

Maybe tomorrow

Russell

·
Rob
3,430 Posts
Thanks for all the kind comments - I really appreciate the support

Progress has been kinda slow - I'm mainly trying to get borders/runoff areas built. I've used 6mm MDFand used shims to bring it up level with the track. Most of the corners are done now, but I've still got a fair bit of sanding and filling to do to get a smooth join between track and board.

I've also had a play with some paint. I want to try to make the track look wider and to play around with the best line idea. I tried some Halfords grey plastic primer spray paint and it seems to have worked well. It takes well to both the plastic track and the MDF and seems more scratch resistant than the previous emulsion/poster paint mix.

The borders are scalextric. I cut the tabs off them and hot glued them in place. They make quite a high kerb, so I'm not sure if I'll keep them there or just paint a white line. There'll be a gravel trap between the track and the wall. What d'you think?

Back to B&Q tomorrow for more MDF, hot glue sticks, ceiling tiles etc....!

cheers,

Rob

·
David Moss
472 Posts
Hey Taxi, after my quick visit to your track I find it hard to believe you have taken down your old track, but after seeing you navigate the loft ladder I can understand why. ( Believe me people, this guy has been a martyr to the course!!!)

Your old track was excellent, and if there is anything I can help you with on the new track just ask. You got alot further with a full track & scenery that I have and with a wife and kids, let alone serious back problems, I for one salute you!

God luck with the new track and I look forward ( and hope) to a vist to the new circuit. And I'm sure you'll wipe me again!

All the best mate!
David (ex-Gloucester worker. Now in Willersey and suffering serious abuse for racing slotcars!!!)

·
Rob
3,430 Posts
Not had much time recently, but things are gradually moving in the right direction. I've got most of the track surrounds/run-offs done, and the wall along the incline. When I was putting the wall in, I had one of those ideas that I know is going to cause me more work! I'm putting a tunnel in for an access road to a car park behind the grandstands. Should look nice if it works out ok.

I've also done a bit more round the hairpin. This is my 'trying things out' area, but it's coming on nicely. I've filled the gaps between the track and the MDF surround, and it's now quite a smooth transition between track and board - the cars don't seem to notice it at all. Just needs another coat of paint.

As usual there's bigger pics here , and your comments are always welcome

cheers,

Rob

·
Rob
3,430 Posts
Work has been taking up far too much of my time recently (teaching blind and visually impaired people to use PC's - very involving and we're having to develop a lot of resources and stuff from scratch!!). And then there's the wife and kids....!!

But I've managed to sneak off to the garage occasionally, so here's what I've been up to: -

Glued a couple of Fly button mags under the track so I can run my Challenger on either lane

Detached the powerbase from the track

A bit more filling and painting

And one small section with grass, gravel trap and white lines

I'm going to have a look at the lapcounter too, to see if that can be detached from it's track piece. I think I'm going to carry on just working on one part of the track at a time, otherwise the sheer amount of work left to do gets overwhelming!!

cheers,

Rob

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.